The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A few questions.

I've been eventing for years, but have had some questions come up with the new horses.

1. At what level do you start using studs in your horses shoes?

2. I am very aware what is "preferred", but I have a stocky foundation QH mare. She is my reiner/cow/show horse, but I decided to start eventing her for fun. She will be in the Beginner Novice Horse division. She has a long mane (to the shoulders kind of long). I CAN make button braids with her long mane, it is just a hassle because I have to make the sections so damn small. Would a running braid be more appropriate than a lattice braid? I would think so, as it gets the mane away from the neck. If I must, I can try to get some decent looking dressage buttons.
    3. Has anyone ever used Gamgee padding under vetrap for XC? Also, is vetrap suitable for Porter Protector boots?

I know there are more, but I'm running a blank. THank you all ahead of time. Have a wonderful day.

On the braiding issue: we have a 14.3 h cow bred quarter horse that I am fixing to take training level. She has qualified for the AEC's three years in a row. So yayfor cow bred quarter horses!!

We do hunter braids. Lots of them to elongate her neck. I think it looks great!!
    4..3..2..1...Have a nice ride!!!

I used studs at N for wet/slippery/muddy terrain. Not sure if I would bother at BN unless it was *really* muddy. I've also not used studs at N if the footing was good. I think it depends on the footing more than the level, and also on your horse- some QHs are pretty nimble.

I would do a running braid, at BN its not a big deal.

Not sure about the wrapping thing-- why wrap instead of boot? Some special reason for this horse?

Quote Originally Posted by jumpsnake View Post
    I used studs at N for wet/slippery/muddy terrain. Not sure if I would bother at BN unless it was *really* muddy. I've also not used studs at N if the footing was good. I think it depends on the footing more than the level, and also on your horse- some QHs are pretty nimble.

I would do a running braid, at BN its not a big deal.

Not sure about the wrapping thing-- why wrap instead of boot? Some special reason for this horse?
    I was thinking about wrapping my Hano mare with porters on the front for some added protection. She is currently in the Novice Horse division, and I'm trying to find the best option for a reasonable price that offers the best protection.

Default Porter boots

Hi I say good for you, if you have a horse that will do it all, go for it.

I use Porter Boots with Vetrap or the off brand equivalent. It is a fairly inexpensive way to do it and I don't have to worry with cleaning re-wrapping the re-usable type. Plus you have your choice of colors.

Good luck

Porters are pretty much overkill at that level. They're hard to put on correctly and they take a ton of time. They're also difficult to fit well, and can easily rub. Most of our horses at horse trials (even up through the upper levels) wear XC boots such as the Nunn Finner American Style, the N.E.W. boots, or the Dalmars. But you don't even need those - in fact, many of our young horses go XC in plain galloping boots (like the Woof or Weatherbeetas) below Preliminary.

A running braid is fine. Or don't braid. Most important is that you have fun!

ditto on "depends on conditions" for studs. I have used studs at BN for dressage -- when we had a hurricane the day before .

I am a minimalist in general though -- both my guys are only tapped behind. They are well balanced and rideable, and I have found I don't need front studs up through prelim. Certainly there ARE days I'd want front studs at prelim, but I won't run the prelim horse in bad footing anyway (he had suspensory issues) so it's moot.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Another vote for a running braid being fine. That is what I do with my arab with a decently long mane and I haven't had any comments or issues with it.

Question: At what level should I use studs?
    Jim Wofford reply: At what level do you want your horse to stop sliding around?

Seriously, it's not so much about the level as your horse. Having slipped and fallen on a turn at BN because the grass was hard and slick, I tend to stud more often than not--I just use teeny ones when the footing's pretty good. But plenty of people virtually never use them so it depends on your horse.

1. Whenever the horse needs them. Its mostly depends on the kind of footing you will be riding on. I tend to cork up more in stadium than xc, the footing gets worse and the turns are tighter.

2. Running braid is fine at BN. Not so keen on the lattice.

3. Just use splint boots or simple galloping boots if you need to use boots. Wraps are overkill at the LLs, and with the advent of better and better boots, getting phased out at the ULs too. Plus it takes a fairly skilled bandager to do it properly.

I dont even use vetwrap for injuries, I have seen it do some horrific damage.

1. Whenever the horse feels like they need them. I've used studs at Novice, and not used studs at Preliminary. Really, really depends on the animal, how they cope with slippery footing, and the conditions on the day.

2. Running braid is fine, I'd say NO to the lattice. But a nice, neat, short mane does not need to be braided at all.

3. I would never use gamgee for protection on XC when there are so many really, really nice boots available that are easier, safer, re-usable and offer WAY more protection. Vetrap is fine for porters if you are really excellent at using them, but unless the horse has a deformity of some sorts that will not allow boots to be properly fitted, it's overkill IMO.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    1. Whenever the horse feels like they need them. I've used studs at Novice, and not used studs at Preliminary. Really, really depends on the animal, how they cope with slippery footing, and the conditions on the day.

2. Running braid is fine, I'd say NO to the lattice. But a nice, neat, short mane does not need to be braided at all.

3. I would never use gamgee for protection on XC when there are so many really, really nice boots available that are easier, safer, re-usable and offer WAY more protection. Vetrap is fine for porters if you are really excellent at using them, but unless the horse has a deformity of some sorts that will not allow boots to be properly fitted, it's overkill IMO.

Agree with all of this, and will add that IMO Porter boots can be hard to put on properly and are likely to cause rub sores on the horses' legs. Not worth the hassle, when there are so many nice boot choices out there.

Smile

If she has a really long reiner's mane, the best thing to do (getting out my Dressage at Devon bag of tricks here) is first, shampoo and condition - use a good bit of conditioner so that it will lay and not flop around and be frizzy.
    Then I would do a long, "french" style braid starting at the poll and working your way down the mane as tight, and close to the crest, as you can. You do not want to braid the ends or edges and have half the mane flopping with a heavy braid away from the neck - because it will interfere with your fingers and rein length in dressage and stadium. For this reason you should not do a lattice braid, either - too many little spaces to catch your fingers!
    The french braid is the way I do the long maned horses for in hand - such as the Lipizzans -- and doing it tight and up high is best. Use the Braid Aid spray - it works REALLY well on the long manes, because you need to keep the long hairs from flying or pulling out -- the best way to tame them is basically to grease them down. When you come to the end, braid it down and tuck it under or pull it thru a couple times - and it should be hidden by the saddle pad at that point.
    THEN...another hint....don't let them stretch their neck down after you've braided - keep their heads up until after the ride -- it pulls the braid out and makes it wavy and uneven.
    Another way to do up the really long manes is with the Rosebud braid, where you basically make a french knot as used in embroidery, and can wrap the thin but long braided strand around and around the knot. This is good for a thin but long mane, doesn't work as well with a thick or wide long mane as the French braid does.

Oh the things we do for stylish looks!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I want to see a Rosebud braid!
    Click here before you buy.

Wow, thank you all so much for the wonderful advice. You have all helped so much. And for the braids, I would love to try the rosebud braids. Especially since I believe that a whole lot of small button type braids would enhance her short foundation-bred neck far more than a running braid usually does. I'll see what I can do. I know in reality I should pull her mane, and will if she proves herself and ever moves up, but for this level am just too stubborn. And for my mid-level horses, i may get stud holes put in their shoes just in case the footing is evert bad, and just keep them filled in with blanks until i may need them. Better safe than sorry, especially in this sport. Thank you all so much again.