The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Probably a stupid question, but...

Does anybody who feeds chopped hay (TC safe starch in my case) but anything like Dengie, etc. soak it in water before feeding?

I like to get more water into my guys in winter and also worry about them bolting this stuff and choking because they think it is SO yummy. Neither have breathing issues so that's not why I soak it, but I was going to soak it and feed it, water and all, for their rations. Is it about the same as cubes without being compressed?

TIA!!!

Not a stupid question... I had the same question at the beginning of the season and my vet told me that it was fine to feed dry. I just limit how much I give.
    My horse seems to get enough water even though its pretty cold, he drinks when he is thirsty (goes through almost two buckets of water a night) So, I guess I don't have to worry about soaking the Dengie.
    If you are worried that your horse if not getting enough water, you might want to try a mild electrolite.

Both of my TB's get a couple pounds of Denghi after they eat their regular grain (am & pm) and I add very warm water each time. I do add hay stretcher to the mix and they love it. I also add lots of hot water to their regular grain and let that soak for a bit so it isn't too hot and they love that too.

Mine will drink from their heated water tub but adding hot water to their regular feed is a great way to make sure they are getting enough! With the way I feed it works out to about five gallons of hot water they each get every day (so that in addition to water from the heated tub). I've never had a problem adding lots of water and I've been doing this for years .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Not at all stupid. I've soaked it from time to time. Just like I'd soak hay, pellets, or make a mash every so often. And some horses, though the chopped is not as dusty, are prone to respiratory issues, and they get everything wet anyway.

Yes, you can soak it.
    As a matter of fact...soaking Totally Timothy dengi by Lucerne is what I do every night. I make a bucket that's a mix of timothy cubes and timothy dengi, add 4 gallons of water and let it soak before feeding. The cubes turn to mush and sink to the bottom of the bucket, the dengi turns softer and floats. The small amount of molasses on the dengi flavors the entire bucket of water...the cubes add some flavor to the water too...like a green tea, LOL! (and I sprinkle on some RB)
    My horses *love* their "mush buckets." And the only reason I give them those mush buckets is for my peace of mind sneaking an extra 4 gallons of water into them every single night. They don't slurp it down too fast...they enjoy taking a bite of hay and then a bite/slurp of that mush...rinse and repeat. Lowers my worries of dehydration and impaction.
    Go ahead and soak it...even try soaking it with a lot more water than needed because the dengi will flavor the rest of the water. So they'll drink a lot more most likely. Plus it's funny as heck watching them trying to "scuba dive" for the dengi that sank to the bottom, LOL!
    (expect green noses though)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Awesome, thank you guys! I'll def. stick to soaking!