The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need sizing info and feedback on Dover Northwind turnouts

Howdy,

I have about 5 year old Rhino Wug's (the green plaid) which fit my horses great.
    I need a backup blanket however and like the sounds of the Rider's International Northwind turnouts.

How do they compare to the Rhinos in sizing?

Any other feedback good/bad about the Northwind blankets?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know how they compare in size to Rhino, but I have both the Northwind Turnout Sheet and the mid-weight Turnout Blanket and I really love them. My horse is hard on his clothing and has not been able to rip either one. My experience with the sizing is that they are true to size in a nice generous sort of way (if that makes any sense!).

True to size, and not bad for the money. My Rambos look better after being rolled in, but season #2 and no rips yet in the Northwind!

I love the Northwind blankets and Dover holds true on the 2 year guarantee. I had a Rhino sheet and comparing that one to the Northwind's, I would say order a size up in the Northwinds, especially if your horse isn't the narrower TB type. My horse measured a 78, and while the 78 Northwinds fit him, his butt hangs out a bit. The 80 fits him better - he's an Appendix and he has a big butt ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bellboots View Post
    I had a Rhino sheet and comparing that one to the Northwind's, I would say order a size up in the Northwinds, especially if your horse isn't the narrower TB type.
    I agree. One horse wears an 80 DN and a 78 in the Horseware blankets (Rhino and Rambo), and another wears a 76 in the DN but a 72 in the Horseware blankets.

Happy blanket shopping!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

My TB/QH mare takes a 75 Rhino/Rambo and a 74 Dover Northwind. Her 75 Rambo is a bit big, but her 75 Rhino fits her pretty well. Her 74 DN sheet fits very well, though the tail flap on those is shorter than on the Horseware turnouts.

I love the DN sheet—it fits well, it doesn't move, it's held up wonderfully and I love the reflective piping.

Mine is on its second season. Last year when I got it back from the cleaners it looked brand spankin' new!

Nothing bad to say about it.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

KittyG Guest

Default Dover NW

I just bought the med weight and it digs a little at the neck. I would opt for the high neck next time. With the 1680 Denier, it now carries a 3 year warranty... and my mouthy pony hasn't touched it!

thx for the feedback!

Off to order my new Northwind turn-out!

Smith Brothers has the same blanket (listed as their two tone turnout) for alot cheaper - it even has the Dover Saddlery logo sewn on the front! I ordered mine from there instead and I really like it. It is the heavy weight though.

TBDQ0328,

good to know!

Do you have a link to Smith Brothers so I can check it out?

Thanks!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I think I posted the link to the Smith Brothers on another post about blankets, I also ordered the Open Range Midweight turnouts, and they have a discount if you order 2 or more, let me go find it.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Here you go:

I just bought 3 of the Smith Brothers Open Range Turnouts, they are much cheaper than the price they show online, so call to order:
    http://www.smithbrothers.com/smith-b...-24486/cn/661/
    I paid 79.00 per blanket (lower price if you buy two or more).
    The horses have only worn them three times so far (going out in 30 minutes to blanket them up for our freeze warning night tonight) and I like them.
    ETA - found the sale price online:
    http://www.smithbrothers.com/product.asp?pn=QH-24277
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

http://www.smithbrothers.com/product...&zmap=RJ-24062

This is the one I got. It's normally 109.99 and that's what it comes up as in the catalog, but if you search "smith brothers two tone turn out" you can find it for this price. I have a Dover turnout sheet and the smith brothers fits just the same