The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default World Equestrian Festival Aachen

Has anyone gone to this to spectate?

http://www.chio-aachen.de/default_e.asp

If so, was it worth the trip? Any advice on where to stay?

thanks!

It's like you died and went to heaven. Absolutely fabulous. Bring as much $$ possible for shopping.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

ooooh, I like that! thanks!

Somebody take me with you!!!! I want to go!!!!!

And bumping this up so that someone can respond to locations to stay and all so I could plan an future trip. (not in the cards this year since I'll be going to WEG this year).

We stayed in Holland in Valkenburg at the Hotel Voncken.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Yes, it is wonderful. I went to the WEG in Spain and I liked the CHIO Aachen better (except no eventing when I went). I went there for several years when I lived in Germany. I lived close enough that I didn't have to stay overnight, sorry can't help with that.

The Quellenhof in Aachen is very close and nice. Unfortunately all the show officials stay there and it's usually full. There is the world's most expensive Holiday Inn directly across the street too. Yuk. I usually stay at Chateau st Gerlach in nearby Valkenberg in NL. 15 min pleasant drive. The other hotels in Aachen are a bit sketchy so this is what we prefer. Lovely grounds and fair rates. Grocery and cafes nearby too. Just a safe quaint town. The town square of Aachen is great to stroll and eat out in however. Don't forget to visit Luttgens tack shop in Aachen too. There is a lot of shopping at the CHIO but I like this one a lot....Fun trip!!!

Best show I have ever been too! Shopping - SWOON!. Hubby especially loved the Moet et Chandon tent......
    We stayed in Belgium just across the border - a cute B&B in Stavelot (near Spa). Quick drive, no crowds, easy in and out. Parking went surprisingly smoothly each day. Spa Belgium is a gorgeous and historic area. Also great WWII stuff to see (Battle of the Bulge) and the museum in Bastogne is amazing.

I did end up going and Coreene was right! I bought:

a navy dress sheet with silver piping
    pocketbook
    sparkly browband
    leather dog collar with a snaffle bit on it
    a bracelet
    new dressage reins
    two gifts for friends -- a scarf and another leather dog collar

All that AND I got to see Totilas win the GP! That was so thrilling to see him in person. Also saw Eric Lamaze win the Rolex GP.

The showgrounds are amazing and the weather was perfect. I highly recommend going.

There was this interesting class on the day we were watching the show jumping. It was called jump and drive. The rider does a short course, jumps off her horse and gets on the carriage of a driving team and does an obstacle course. It was a very exciting atmosphere with the announcer and music and people clapping. I had never seen that before.

If you end up going and stay in Aachen you HAVE to go to the Carolus Thermen baths esp after a long day of walking -- it's the 3rd bus stop on the way back to the aachen bus station so convenient. There are these multiple thermal baths with jets in the water to massage your whole body, lovely and relaxing (also saunas but didn't do that). Seemed to be a place the locals go. Aachen has the prettiest cathedral I have ever seen, where Charlemagne was buried.

We stayed in a weird little place but it worked. It's not a hotel but rooms are available during the horse show. Normally it's a Catholic affiliated building that hold seminars and continuing education. Strange, right? But the rooms, while spartan, were bigger than a typical twin European hotel room and very clean (with a good sized bathroom). Breakfast was included and it is a short walk to the train station and the center of town. We would walk to the Aachen bus station to catch a free bus to the show grounds. It's listed on the CHIO Aachen site under Accommodations August Piper house.

On this trip we also stopped in Amsterdam to stay with some family friends. We had asked Broere Stud if we could have a tour and see Jazz -- I have a two year old by him so that was exciting to see the big man in person. They could NOT have been nicer. Such nice nice people, spent an hour with us -- the barn manager and Jazz's rider. Lots of Jazz babies running around.

Some good beer on this trip too. mmmm, cherry beer. (also went to belgium)