The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Silliest Lesson Moment

What's your silliest lesson moment? Can be you or someone else!

I was teaching an up-down lesson years ago (students at a prestigious college!) and when we were done asked the students to lead their horses to their stalls to untack. There must have been some confusion because when I next turned around about 4 out of 5 of the student had taken off their horse's bridles in the middle of the ring! Being the awesome school ponies that they were, the horses mostly stood there and looked shocked. It was an interesting time getting all the bridles back on so we could all get safely back to the school horse barn!

On a personal note, a while back I had a jump lesson where I seemed to have forgotten left and right. I'd come off a line, look around in confusion and my instructor would shout "Left!" and.......I'd turn right.
    Forward momentum!

Mine is probably the lesson I took 1-1-09 (yes, I remember the date!). Trainer set up some evil serpentine bending exercise. It was about the hardest thing we could've done, but fun at the same time. We had so many mishaps, it was quite comical.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

not a h/j rider, but going along with the bridle theme... earlier this year, the pony I ride somehow managed to drop the bit sometime between me bridling him and getting down to the arena. He led perfectly willingly even with the reins not exactly where they usually are. So I go to check my girth and realize that his bridle is half off. My trainer and the woman in the lesson before me had to come over and see what I was laughing hysterically at--oops!

LOL! That is pretty funny about the students untacking in the middle of the arena... They sometimes ask to drop stirrups in IHSA classes, but I've never heard of them dropping bridles!

This one wasn't me, but I was in the arena that day. My husband has a stubborn streak and it takes a special kind of trainer to deal with him. His jumper mare was our trainer's retired GP horse. She was amazing and never stopped at anything. She was slightly... well... "driven" I guess would be the best way of describing Porche.

My husband and another student were doing gymnastics. 3 stride to a 2 stride to a 4 stride, etc etc etc... anyway, my husband was having a hard time adding and subtracting strides and still doing the gymnastic. Porche was more of a "sit there and shut up, I'll drive" sort of girl.

Our trainer said, "Fine. Drop your irons." Alex rolled his eyes. She then said, "Allright, tough guy. Drop your reins, too..." By the end of this, he was going the gymnastics with his eyes closed, arms straight out, and no irons.

He did eventually come off. Porche was a-okay fine with it all. She just wanted to go over more jumps (as was her way). The only thing he hurt was his pride a little, but he had more respect for our trainer after that!

Sadly, Porche has passed away since this story, but she (nor this training session) will never be forgotten in this house!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Perfect course of 3'3 and then I lost track of where to go so i did that lovely swedish oxer ... backwards. A HUGE pat on the neck I gave that horse This is all while the little kids who aspire to be you and ride like you someday watching on.

One of the silliest has to be my lesson last Saturday. I was feeling weird physically, not sick but lightheaded, lord knows what. Everything my instructor said went into my brain and got totally lost. Processing speed was about 10 minutes per instruction. Finally, for the first time ever, she gave up on "the details" as she described it, of actually getting my to get off my inside rein for more than a single stride at a time, and had me just canter a couple of poles for an outside line. (I do jump, but my confidence level is abysmal.) That went reasonably well, so she raised the second pole to a crossrail and had me come around from the opposite direction, the one in which I never look far enough ahead. So I asked for the canter, no problem, came around the short side, canter on . . . on the rail . . . . oops . . . the jumps aren't on the rail . . . "Oh," I said, "They're not there!"

My instructor muttered, "Are you DRUNK?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
    One of the silliest has to be my lesson last Saturday. I was feeling weird physically, not sick but lightheaded, lord knows what. Everything my instructor said went into my brain and got totally lost. Processing speed was about 10 minutes per instruction. Finally, for the first time ever, she gave up on "the details" as she described it, of actually getting my to get off my inside rein for more than a single stride at a time, and had me just canter a couple of poles for an outside line. (I do jump, but my confidence level is abysmal.) That went reasonably well, so she raised the second pole to a crossrail and had me come around from the opposite direction, the one in which I never look far enough ahead. So I asked for the canter, no problem, came around the short side, canter on . . . on the rail . . . . oops . . . the jumps aren't on the rail . . . "Oh," I said, "They're not there!"

My instructor muttered, "Are you DRUNK?"
    Bwah ha ha! Glad to know I'm not the only one who has ever done this! Easiest jump I've ever taken. My horse was not impressed. (I have terrible confidence, too)
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

I was in our indoor years ago, when one of the trainers told their student that they had to ask their horse to jump. Well off she goes, circles up to a crossrail and at the last minute yells jump at her horse. I almost fell off I was laughing so hard.

Just recently we were working on adjustability doing a fairly easy four to a four or five to a five. Then my trainer asked for a five to a four - no problem.
    Until about stride 3 where I felt my horse fade, added more leg, more fade, little spur to a gentle stop right in front of the fence. He was dropping manure!!! He'd never, ever done anything like that before. So, we come again. This time he swerves around the steaming pile so as to not step in it. I'm pretty sure we did the five but I was laughing so hard I almost came off. A horse always knows how to keep you humble.

Quote Originally Posted by JUMPERROUND View Post
    I was in our indoor years ago, when one of the trainers told their student that they had to ask their horse to jump. Well off she goes, circles up to a crossrail and at the last minute yells jump at her horse. I almost fell off I was laughing so hard.
    AMAZING!

I haven't really done anything too silly, but I will post about this one time at a show.

Non-lesson related..."cantering" piggy-back through a barn on my friends back at a horse show and I fell off...then proceeded to get laughed at by the grooms in the area, lol..

I recently started riding an older horse that hasn't been ridden in awhile. He's been a hunter, jumper, and 3rd level dressage horse. I rode him in my jumping lesson for the first time and my trainer had me work on keeping him slow to the jumps(he hadn't jumped in over a year and was really excited). Anyways, she told me to trot as slow as we could to the jump but keep some impulsion. So, we were getting slower and slower but I kept my leg on and held the contact and he started doing a piaffe! When we did the same exercise at the canter, and I went to make a somewhat tight turn around some standards, he started doing part of a canter pirouette! I was impressed but had no idea what was going on! I've taken a dressage lesson once in my life but it was years ago and walk/trot. But apparently mr. horsey knows some fancy moves!

The pony I have ridden in lessons for almost the last year is a been there done that, you better ride me right or we are going to argue, you want to jump that, ok kind of guy. It also doesn't help that while he really is a pony on the outside, on the inside is 17+ hands of pure horse - just ask him!

So, we are jumping a line - small verticals, x rails. I always had issues with slowing him to jumps - we rushed a lot - due to me being too far forward. So, we are heading to this jump, I am doing my best to stay up and he slows down and finally comes to a total halt. WTH? He is pooping. Now he knows better, but he did it just for me. Joke was on him - we are less than a stride from the jump and my trainer yells - jump from there - so we did, but by then I was laughing so hard I barely made it over with him.
    And nothing bad happened!

One day I completely forgot my diagonals. Just forgot. Couldn't remember which one was which. When my trainer yelled at me, rightfully so, and I told her the situation, I thought she was going to DIE she was laughing so hard!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

What comes to my mind is back in October during a clinic we had a jump set up - it was a skinny with straw bales decorated with flower boxes, probably 3'6". My horse refused the jump twice and the clinician told me to just walk him up to it and let him take a peak. So, we walked up, on a loose rein, and I (quietly) said "Touch it!". My horse usually puts his nose out and literally touches the scary object when I do this (I didn't teach him this, btw. just discovered it shortly after I got him). Anyway, so I say "Touch it!" and he rocks back and jumps this enormous jump from a standstill. I was so completely surprised (as was everyone else) and I don't know how I managed to stay on. I so wish someone had caught it on video!

As a former western rider I decided to take some dressage lessons. The barn had letters posted around the arena and the instructor would call out the pattern. I was flailing around and as I cannot see far away I kept straining my eyes and finally she YELLED do something (can't remember now) at X. X!! X!!!!!!!!!

So I stopped my horse and said where the hell is X? I thought I just couldn't SEE it, not knowing what X was! What an idiot.

I was lessoning once after taking a couple weeks off due to injury. Asked for the canter, everything was great, and then suddenly...I was on the ground. I have NO idea what happened, and neither does my trainer- she was like, "I turn around for just a second and you're on the ground!" My horse is also the type to tear off as soon as you hit dirt (the "I'm free!!!!!" mentality), and even HE just stood and stared at me like, "What's the deal idiot?"

Trainer spouts off a course, purple to blue, inside line to the combination. Well the purple and blue were set at an angle to each other and were *supposed* to be done jumping the purple towards the barn with a rollback to the blue...I jumped the purple towards the road and did an extremely direct bending, cutting both at a rather large angle in 3 strides. Trainer just stared...waited till I was done and said "Umm not like that"

Years ago my friend and I were in a lesson. She was on this really good old schoolie who used to do working hunters but had since taken over the job of piloting short stirrupers. Well our trainer sets up a jump with a pole a stride away from the jump. They trot it fine. Trainer rolls it out to canter. Friend picks up a canter, approaches jump. Horse stops dead, looks at the rail and the jump, then jumps both, from a standstill. I can just imagine him thinking "um, lady I don't think these kids are ready for a spread like this, but ok..."

Fastforward a few years and same friend has been riding this greenie in lessons for months now. Horse had gotten into the habit of throwing in a dirty stop at the last second. Friend canters down a line that we'd jumped before, gets a nice first jump, it looks like they're fine for the second one, but no, horse stops, pitching her into the arena wall. He looks at her, looks at the jump, turns around and jumps the jump on his own.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Ha, these are all hilarious. Now here's mine...

2 years ago I was taking a lesson with my old horse in a very small indoor. It's about 2.5-4 strides across the short side. (REALLY small right?) My trainer had us jump a 2'6 ish vertical straight across the diagonal. There are doors on either side of the area leading to the different parts of the barn on either side. Well, my trainer forgot to close the door that led to my horses' stall... so we jump the jump and as soon as we leave the ground I'm thinking "Oh s***, we're gonna go right through that door!!!!". And that's exactly what happened. He just... kept on going and cantered right into his stall, turned around, and then stood there with me still on his back like "what, you're still there?" It was amazing I didn't whack my head on the top of the door but I had enough sense to duck and hold on. I think my trainer peed herself laughing after she made sure I hadn't brained myself.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Mine was a horse show. Was showing a C show without a trainer, as I do quite often, and there were only about 3 people that wanted to do the medal and that was pulling teeth. We all were standing around chatting and I agreed to go first. Guess I read the course wrong and the first fence should have been jumped towards gate then roll back to second. Instead I cantered straight up from the gate, jumped the first and then realized that this was a TIGHT 3 stride to fence 2. Course was very good and judge complimented it, especially my eye and ability to ride unrelated distances. He then mentioned that one to two should have been a roll back. Whoops!
    So much for trying to get the medal to fill when the one that asked for the class goes off course! Terribly embarrassing for the horse show but then judge, who is friends with my trainer, calls my trainer on the way home to 'brag' about her training. My trainer encouraged me to spend some time studying the courses.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."