The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York

Default For fun: H/J lingo...you know you ride when you say

You know you ride horses when there are strict grammatical structures...they just aren't the same ones as in English

"The barn I ride at"

"I lessoned with..."

"She hacked her out"

I was writing something and I noticed that those are incredibly badly structured phrases, but there is no other way to say it in the horse world.

Add more =)
    "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
    "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

Just last night I was with my husband in the car and I used the word "pace" to talk about the car's speed.

"flatted" the horse today - I really cannot stand that phrase - don't know why - maybe it was the person that always said it was a really cliche type talker and that bothered me more!

Quote Originally Posted by breezy28 View Post
    "flatted" the horse today - I really cannot stand that phrase - don't know why - maybe it was the person that always said it was a really cliche type talker and that bothered me more!
    haha, I say that, and I always feel it is not even a word outside the horse world. Gets the point across though!

I was giving my science fair presentation the other day and was trying to explain to my class how and why a thrush infection can cause a horse to go lame. They all thought I mean "lame" as in "uncool."
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

There are soooo many strange phrases and terms associate with horses and riding, you could list them for days!

Here are a couple that most people don't understand if they aren't riders:

'I put in the 'add' on the line' (extra stride)
    or
    'I pushed for the move up on the out' (bigger spot over fence)

'Burying' the horse at the fence or 'chasing' him into the fence

'Getting 'left' at a fence or 'dropping' them at the jump.

'Skipped' the change (lead change)

(Heck- most people don't even get what a 'lead' is in the first place! I also think 'fence' is a funny term for a 'jump' to everyone else).

'Hacked' out.
    Horse is a 'packer' over fences.
    'On the bit', 'Over the bit', 'Under the bit', 'Avoiding the bit'.

'

Quote Originally Posted by Catomine View Post
    'On the bit', 'Over the bit', 'Under the bit', 'Avoiding the bit'.
    And reference to the bit. We use the term "On the Muscle" a lot in reference to my horse lol

"Green" is one no one outside the horse world gets.
    Also "ask" as in "ask for a flying change". Most people are like "isn't it just tell?"
    "Schoolie" as in school horse
    "My barn" as in the barn I ride at. They always ask "Oh, you own it?" No, I wish.
    "Tack" as in "tack up" or "saddle"
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

My friends always laugh when I say my Horse is "High" they always go "Wouldn't that make him more laid back?"

"schooled the water"

Wasn't thinking. Wish I had a picture of the absolute, perfect blankness of the faces of the non-horsey people.

One time at dinner the evening of a xc schooling ride, the non-horsey friends politely asked "so did all the rain make a difference for your ride today?" And I said automatically "Well, there was water in the water."

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    My friends always laugh when I say my Horse is "High" they always go "Wouldn't that make him more laid back?"
    All depends what he's high on

I still remember being at a show as a kid and asking my mom to go back to the trailer to get my cooler. Ten minutes later, I spot her struggling back under the weight of a huge coleman cooler full of ice and beverages...Um, that's not what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    All depends what he's high on

I still remember being at a show as a kid and asking my mom to go back to the trailer to get my cooler. Ten minutes later, I spot her struggling back under the weight of a huge coleman cooler full of ice and beverages...Um, that's not what I meant.
    I meant just in general my horse is High = Hyper.

I just had the "Cooler" moment like 5 mins ago when my friend asked me what I got at awards and I complained because I really wish I had gotten a cooler. And she said that would be cool because then we could keep beers cold ringside. lol

And oh yeah ... the names/descriptive terms of all the jumps, although they learn those fast. "Oxer" is the hardest one for those who see it once a year to remember. Then it's understanding why people referring to the "vertical" and the "wall" are not usually speaking about the same jump, and that a "triple combination" isn't the same as an "in-and-out" - didn't they have to jump in to and out of the triple?

But it is very cute when non-horsey spectators do pick up on some terminology after seeing a few rounds, get caught up in the excitement, and start going on about "stopped at the oxer" and "pulled 4 rails" when they don't know a girth from a browband.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat95 View Post
    "Green" is one no one outside the horse world gets.
    Actually "green" holds its meaning outside the horse world. A bit outdated outside the horse world, yes. It always frustrates me when people don't understand the term because it is defined plain and clear in the dictionary as not only a color but deficient in training, knowledge, or experience. I have come across it in several non-horsey books.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat95 View Post
    "My barn" as in the barn I ride at. They always ask "Oh, you own it?" No, I wish.
    I've learned not to say "my barn" so people don't think I have buckets of money that I do not have. But I can never think of how to refer to the barn where I ride without lots of words - what short phrase works for non-horsey people?

And the word "barn" doesn't work, they think of a big red haybarn, and wonder why I don't keep my horse at a horse stable.

People always think I say "bar" when I mention the barn. Can't count the number of times I've asked "Will I see you at the bar later?" and eager bystanders are wanting to accompany us as well. Gotta love college. In high school we just got shocked looks

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    I meant just in general my horse is High = Hyper.

I just had the "Cooler" moment like 5 mins ago when my friend asked me what I got at awards and I complained because I really wish I had gotten a cooler. And she said that would be cool because then we could keep beers cold ringside. lol
    Just last week my (green to horses) husband came to watch a lesson. When I got off I asked him to grab me the cooler on the bench beside him. What I got was a very confused looking husband instead. I explained to him that I wanted the blue fleece thing in the plastic bag. He took it out, but then proceeded to argue that it should be called a 'warmer' since it was meant to keep the horse warm while cooling him out.

* "Pulled a rail" (or "had a rail").
    * "He has a big step."
    * "I'm going to go feed." ("I'm hauling to the show" is another one like that.)
    * "My trainer" (nonhorsey people don't understand that trainers are for people and horses).

Actually that is pretty interesting that when I say "high as a kite" talking about a horse everybody horsie knows he is bouncing off the walls, and the non-horse people think he is staggering along half asleep.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I had one recently. I was having dinner with some non-horsey girlfriends. They were all talking about "going to the city" (i.e. Seattle) to go shopping the next day. When asked if I wanted to go, I said that I had lots of fencing to do. They asked if I taught fencing... I looked at them and said that I would be more than happy to teach them, but it is a lot of hard work. This went on for several minutes, until I realized that they meant... fencing = people with swords... I had to explain to them that, in my world, fencing = what keeps the livestock on the correct piece of property!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!