The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Winter clothes? What about this?

Sorry I can't find the warm in the winter riding thread but what do you think of this - does anyone have one?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Saddle-Armor-Cov...item3ca91ebe77
    Is is worth $300 + ???
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I always just rode in a Carhartt jumpsuit from Farm and Fleet when I had to ride outside in the winter. Or these http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h..._content=37618 with a jacket.
    ~Isabel

I wear my ski pants and ski jacket. The carhart jumpsuit is another option, but idk how much they are. I think I paid about $40 bucks for my ski pants and they are warm if worn alone, but I always wear thermal pants under them and stay super warm. My ski jacket was bought for like $30 at sams and I love it! Much cheaper option.
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Boink breeches on the bottom and good laying on the top.

I hate one piece stuff. Hard to get into, hard to get out of, and if the bottoms wear out first, you are SOL.

Irideon Windpro breeches with IBEX or icebreaker wool underlayer. While the one piece Carhart is great for chorse, I find it much too bulky to ride in!

Wool will always be warmest. We winter camp in Canada and ski in to fish.... Camping outside miles from anywhere on skis, so it isn't an easy 5 minute in and out in a car. Wool is best and what we trust. You heat up and cool down and only wool can take that. Trust me, I have tried all the high tech fabrics and nothing beats a layer or layers of WOOL. The new lightweight wools by the companies listed above are expensive, but so worth it.

I have kerrits sit tight and warms over a layer of under armour. On top I wear a long sleeve cotton shit, a sweat shirt followed by, you said it howardh WOOL. A really wonderful 100% sweater. I also went to Tractor Supply and spent $8 on 3 pair of 100% wool socks (you know the non-fancy kind) and they keep my feet so incredibly warm.
    Nothing is as good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse. Sir Winston Churchill.

On top: underlayer of Ibex or polypro, polarfleece shirt (EMS makes great ones), down vest if needed, ski jacket.
    Bottom: Polarfleece long underwear under either irrideon windpro or kerrits (I don't wear the sit tight, just their regular winter fleece) with my chaps over that for windproofing.
    I think a jumpsuit would drive me crazy, and it's hell if you have to pee

It doesnt seem like that would be comfy to ride in.. I will wear my overall carharts and my fluffy winter jacket up until im ready to get on. Riding I wear a thicker pair of full seats and long underwear on the bottom and the top i will wear some combo of a tank top, long sleeve shirt, sweater or fleece and a down vest. It keeps me warm (generally I ride till about 15 degrees before I start wimping out haha) but not too hot, either.

I have to layer on top because once we start working, I usually have to take my jacket off. So those coveralls would be useless to me.

I bought some winter riding pants - they look like snowpants but they have a full-seat type material and elastic "stirrups" to put your boots through. They were great for riding in the windy Canadian Prairies in the middle of winter.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I think the only think that would be any good about these coveralls is dressing to go outside would be a lot less time consuming , than putting on lot's of layers.
    I found the same item on this site and the price is a little cheaper!
    http://www.botanicalanimal.com/Saddl..._Coveralls.htm

Claire, I'm with you. All those layers and I feel like I can't move.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com