The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What are you paying for lessons?

With the price of everything going up these days, I thought it might be interesting to poll to see what folks are paying for lessons these days.

For context probably need to know
    Where you live
    Experience, Discipline of person you are riding with
    Length of lesson and type (private, small group 2-3, large group

So here goes...
    I live and lesson in NJ.
    I jump with a very experienced HJ person with strong dressage foundation. Not actively competing.
    Not dressaging with anyone at the moment.

Usually do a hour, 2 person lesson. Price is $60.00. Usually lesson every other week.

Phoenix, AZ

ICP Level 3 instructor, very experienced in all three phases

$45 flat rate for lessons. The lesson length depends on the size of the group and what needs to be accomplished that day. I've had a minimum half-hour private lesson when everything went very well, up to 1.5 hours for a large group out on XC. I think he's under priced.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Well here at home I lessoned with a lady who evented at prelim I believe and has a very strong Dressage back ground. I paid $30 for an hour. At school (basically the same area) I lesson with a lady who I am really not sure of her background, but she coaches the Eq team (HJ) and I pay $15 for a half hour. I am eventually going to take lessons with another trainer who is just super according to all her clients and I will pay $45 for an hour. She is an eventer. IDK what her highest level is.

Im around Nashville TN
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

My coach is young-too young to know so much! She has worked for/with many of the biggies including Sally Cousins, Philip Dutton, Eric Horgan. She is wise, very good with Old Hags and children alike, has an incredible eye. Every lesson I have with her leaves me in awe. I've known her since she was a ratty little 12 year old and I am always amazed at her depth of knowledge and understanding...Anyhow, her lessons are an hour tho she'll go over time if necessary and she'll call it quits if I've had enough, they are $65 and worth well more than that.
    She's competed successfully through CCI** (full) and is now bringing 3 youngsters along. We're all heading to Aiken in 3 weeks, yay.
    She's based in Massachusetts, travels all over everywhere to teach clinics and spends the winter in Aiken.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I generally ride with two different trainers, one dressage and one jumper, rather than an eventing trainer... unless I need to school XC!

But, dressage: 100 per lesson (1x per month) she is a grand prix dressage trainer and has brought multiple horses up the levels and really can get them through and amazingly expressive and responsive.

Jumping: 60 per lesson (2x per month) grand prix jumper and rides the regular working hunters as well, knows all about adjustability, as well as just riding the canter stride. she can see about 2/3 strides out if my mare is going to tap a rail, and can tell me, and then help me fix the feeling.

My lessons are expensive but i get so much out of them!
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

I'm in MT, I primarily ride with an eventing trainer who has ridden through Prelim. She has ridden with many big names herself and is very, very well rounded with a very classical background. I pay $45 for a private, generally about an hour, more or less depending on what needs to be accomplished that day. Less for a semi-private. I also ride with a BNR, former olympian (eventer) about once a month or so depending on the weather and such and we generally jump either stadium or XC, but she runs about $60 for 45 minutes. Very reasonable, I think.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/MarnieCollett

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."-Aristotle

I'm in Middle TN, I ride with a trainer who has competed through Prelim and excellent with bringing along tough individuals. She teaches at my place for $55 and at hers for $45, $40 if I ride with a friend. I actually don't know how long her lessons are- they're always as long as they "need to be."

I ride usually in lessons 2-3 weekends a month. 1 weekend is with a event trainer from central oregon who is competing intermediate, students doing prelim and is one of the top 50 riders in the country. Her rate is $130 ($120 for pony club) for 4 hour of group lessons (2 hours each day). The next weekend is usually a grad A pony clubber who lives in western WA. Her rate is $15 for 1 hour PC group lessons (Sat AM), $40 for 45-1 hr private lessons (Sat PM & Sun AM). Then if I am able too I try to ride with Liz Tukey and her rates are like $65 for a private 1 hr.

Inter. Trainer is here: Feb, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov
    PC Trainer is here: Feb, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov
    Liz is here: not sure yet prob Mar-Nov

I drive 2 hours each way for the first 2 weekends and stay overnight with a friend so no stabling fees and about 30 min each way for Liz lessons

My previous coach competed through ****, rode at the WEGS and is an EC level 3 eventing coach. I paid $50 for a private for an hour when I boarded there. A couple hours north of Toronto.

Current "coach" is a good friend of mine. She's ridden through *** and has been short listed for a few years. She helps me and I help here at shows kinda thing. I've tried to pay her but she hasn't let me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    My coach is young-too young to know so much!
    I am always thinking the same about my trainer. She is the BO and I actually did not take lessons with her when I first moved there because I am an age-ist But then I got smart and realized what a truly talented instructor she is.
    For her- I pay $55 for a 45 minute private- it can go less or more time based on what you need to do that day. She has evented up to Intermediate on horses that she made.
    For the hoity-toity pure dressage FEI instructor that comes to our barn regularly, I pay $100 for a 45 minute private when I can justify the expense.
    I occasionally take from a 4 star rider (been on the Team a couple of times) for xc- I think she was $75 for an hour private on her xc course. It has been a while.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    My coach is young-too young to know so much! She has worked for/with many of the biggies including Sally Cousins, Philip Dutton, Eric Horgan. She is wise, very good with Old Hags and children alike, has an incredible eye. Every lesson I have with her leaves me in awe. I've known her since she was a ratty little 12 year old and I am always amazed at her depth of knowledge and understanding...Anyhow, her lessons are an hour tho she'll go over time if necessary and she'll call it quits if I've had enough, they are $65 and worth well more than that.
    She's competed successfully through CCI** (full) and is now bringing 3 youngsters along. We're all heading to Aiken in 3 weeks, yay.
    She's based in Massachusetts, travels all over everywhere to teach clinics and spends the winter in Aiken.
    Who do you ride with??? I'm in MA.

Default Maryland

$70 private for FEI instructor, "S" dressage judge, grand prix rider
    $60 private for Eventing instructor, competed several times at Rolex and placed in the top five in the distant past
    $65 private for ICP Level III Eventing instructor, add $10 to travel to your barn
    $100 private for Eventing instructor with Olympic medal
    $30 group lesson for young eventing instructor that has competed to intermediate

I think lessons for each of these technically last 45 minutes, but in actuality take as long as they need from 20 minutes to 2hours.

Everyone worth every penny.

26 y.o. who worked for P.D. & Derek DeGracia (sp?) and has competed at 3-4 CCI*** and is consistently competitive at intermediate/advanced. She will be entering first Rolex **** this spring (knock on wood!). SE PA. $65/ private hour.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I live in Northern MD but take lessons in SE PA

Trainer has competed Advanced/ 3 star level

Nice farm with big indoor

I pay $55 for 45mins to an hour

Quote Originally Posted by VicariousRider View Post
    26 y.o. who worked for P.D. & Derek DeGracia (sp?) and has competed at 3-4 CCI*** and is consistently competitive at intermediate/advanced. She will be entering first Rolex **** this spring (knock on wood!). SE PA. $65/ private hour.
    I thought we were riding with the same person until I saw the price... who is your trainer? (you can PM me)

In NC:
    eventing: $65/hour group lesson, 2-3 riders, BNT with impeccable creds. Try to do 2 lessons/month

Dressage: $100/45 minute private, Grand Prix rider who trained with Conrad Schumacher. Not very often! but now that my young horse is moving up I'll be trying to get with her more....

Jennifer

Smile

West TN
    $50, 45 minutes private dressage lesson with USDF certified trainer through 4th Level, "L" judge, USDF Silver medalist, and competed through Intermediate I on self trained horse.

$55, 45 minutes-1 hour private jumping or dressage lesson with Olympic Eventer with self trained horse.

Middle TN
    $75, 1 hour private dressage or jumping lesson with trainer who has competed through CCI**** on self trained horses, ICP Level 4 instructor, graduate A Pony Clubber, and former National Examiner.
    T3DE Pact

Southwestern MI

CCI*** level rider/instructor on the Developing Rider list for 2010

Lessons or training rides (six per month) are included in the winter training board I use to keep my horses from standing belly-deep in snow from Christmas until Easter: I don't have an indoor at home. But what I pay in the summer is around $25 for a weekly (sometimes 2x/week if I'm lucky with my schedule) 30-minute private lesson, plus I think there's a small per-lesson haul-in fee for non-boarders--I keep mine at home in the summer.
    Click here before you buy.

Default Bumping to see if anyone else wants to reply

bump

Lower Mainland of BC - $45, but I board at her barn (she's BO/BM/Trainer)

EC II Coach who is also an examiner and former pony club instructor. Former eventer turned FEI Dressage rider.

She's mostly a dressage trainer these days, but teaches a very solid all-round foundation, and will coach at local events or jumper schooling shows up to about training level, or 3'3" - 3'6" jumpers. If you want to go further, she'll help you find another trainer (it's usually the kids who get "graduated" elsewhere).
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."