The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default integrity linens vs dover wool dress sheet?

well, i have a new horse (yay!) however, neither of my coolers fit him. so, time for a new one.

i am looking for something with a relatively HEAVY WEIGHT WOOL.

i was looking at getting another integrity one, but i spotted that dover has a nice-looking wool sheet on sale for $60 when its originally 100.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...10001&TID=CHRS

does anyone have it? HOW HEAVY/THICK IS THE WOOL?? I am looking for a heavier weight wool, and something that is very durable and will last (which i know integrity will fit both of those, however it is a lot more expensive)

i have a centaur cooler that is in the same price point as this dover one, and i am not impressed with it. it's durable, but it is a very light weight wool and not suitable for serious cold. (and since it's been 15-25 here on most days this time of year, i need something heavy.)

i do have a dover nearby, but i guess i would rather figure out if it's worth the trip or not
    Last edited by superpony123; Jan. 10, 2010 at 12:20 AM.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I think people have posted that the Dover one is NOT the serious heavy weight like the nice custom ones...I have a Centaur one (not sure if it's the same). from smartpak and it really isn't that thick. But I live in Alabama and use an irish knit underneath it so my horse will be fine.

P.S. It's actually down to $50...I am actually contemplating purchasing another cooler just b/c its so cheap...

I ordered the Dover one on the 1st. If I ever get it (I still have yet to recieve a shipping notice) I can report back.

I have a Dover one and like it for everyday. It's held up well. I'm lusting over a custom from The Clothes Horse.

The Dover is not going to be the weight or the quality of any of the custom brands (Integrity, etc), BUT they are a very nice dress sheet/cooler for the price. They are a little bit heavier than the Centaur ones, and a bit nicer as well; I had thought that I really wanted the one by Centaur from SmartPak and thought that I was "settling" for the Dover one, until I saw the Centaur ones firsthand - then I changed my mind!

With a coupon from the Dover sale catalog, they're only $50, so definitely a good value. I kind of really want to buy a couple more, so I can have "barn" coolers and "show" coolers. And now that they come in both black with burgundy and burgundy with black...

I highly recommend the Dover ones, but if you really need something that's THICK, you will probably want to look elsewhere.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

It is very nicely done, but not on the heavy side, i would put it in the middle weight wise.

Definitely not heavy enough for 15...
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

Default price

I just got mine from Dover and am very pleased! For the price you certainly can't go wrong! Going to order another, love the leather buckle closure and the weight is perfect for me....but I'm in SoCal and apparently to this point there is no winter!
    Forward is good

I've had the Dover one for a few years now. It's not the heaviest weight, but has held up great over the years. Stitching is all in tact, and once washed, looks brand new.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I think they're totally different things. The Dover one is a great deal and is a decent dress sheet for the price, but it's nothing like the Integrity ones and isn't available in as many color combinations. But it's a great price, it depends what you're looking for

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

If you want a heavy weight wool cooler, I would recommend Triple Crown or the Clothes Horse. The Country Saddler also does nice ones. Ask for Melton wool.

The one advantage you might have with Triple Crown is if you want something in one of their standard color combinations, you can often get them quite quickly. Clothes Horse and Country Saddler are both custom shops, and understandably take longer.

Happy Shopping!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Integrity.... but, really, The Clothes Horse. They have a larger selection and IME, a tad more knowledge and friendly professsionalism.

But Integrity binds their stuff with nylon and I believe the Clothes Horse uses something that feels like cotton. They find it superior but I think it fades/mellows with time. Not a problem, but know up front that there's a difference.

Call The Clothes Horse. They will send you swatches of materials and bindings from which you might choose. If you are buying something expensive and beautiful that will last many years, you might as well do the research to insure you're getting exactly what you want.

Congrats on your new horse and a splendid sheet to match!

ETA: Don't be afraid of heavy wool that boasts 15% nylon in it. This helps give it strength and dimensional stability. Melton wool will feel denser and heavier than what you may be imagining, but it's fine stuff too.
    Last edited by mvp; Jan. 10, 2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: More on materials
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Check with Saratoga Horse Works.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

thanks everyone! i am thinking i might get the integrity and save up some more and get the dover, so i can use both. looking at how this winter is going, i wont be surprised if it could get to a point where i'd need both (but dont frown, sarah, you love shopping for blankets and coolers!)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I just ordered a heavy integrity cooler so maybe I will be able to let you know . Their lightweights are beautiful but I think a little useless. I have a centaur cooler that has mostly sat in the trunk because there is almost no point in a cooler that is the same weight as an Irish Knit.

I do have many coolers from KR Customs (formerly Wilson). They are outstanding! I think the website makes it look a little "backyardish" but the coolers are nicer than any others,reasonably priced, and they will create any option that you would like. I have found with them that I like to call directly and deal with them rather than trying to go through the internet channels. I also recommend the "sweatless" as a really nice after bath cover for fast drying.

http://krscustoms.com/

I just couldn't resist ordering the integrity cooler off ebay since they have so many incredible deals. It doesn't hurt that this crazy weather is inspiring me to buy extra coolers.