The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is on your halter plates?

So the little beasty pony is getting a new halter =) Nothing super fancy but his $20 bargain special is getting ready to die.

Currently he doesnt have a nameplate on his halter. But for his new one I really want one and am trying to figure out what I should put on it. I am debating between just his show name, show name and my name, or his show name and barn name.

Normally I would do just show name and my name, but where i am planning on selling him I dont want to send him off with a halter that has my name on it, hence why I was thinking of the other 2 options.

TIA

I always use just show names on mine.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

If this is the halter he will go to shows in as well as wear at home, I would do show name only.

If it's a show halter, then show name only. If it's a home halter that he wears in turn-out, then I would put his nickname and your phone number in the event of a potential escape.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I usually do show name and barn name in quotes below. But mommy dearest decided to 'switch things up' and put show name and MY name on it. Oh well. Her reasoning was- "How will you be able to tell the two apart if they both have the same names on it?" Hmm I think because one is 3 years old and covered in dirt, and the new one is shiny... hehe

I only put barn names on my halters. That's the name they're called everyday and it helps minimize confusion if someone is helping tack up horses for the show ring when the name we use is hanging on their halter on the stall door as opposed to some cutesy show name.

Then again..all my horses show under their barn names as well since I find the whole barn name/show name thing slightly annoying when it comes to things like coggins, health papers and entries.

My halter has my mare's registered name on it. She only has two names - her nickname (which is just a shortened form of her registered name) and her registered name (which we also use for shows since it matches her Coggins and papers).

I don't see the need to put my name or the barn name on the halter.

My horse's name is his show name so I just have that on the halter. I like to keep it simple

No names, just the stable name.

Well his show name = barn name. So it's a no brainer for me (when I get around to buying him a leather halter).

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Barn name. That's the name that's on the barn board at home and at shows.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Just my mare's show name/ registered name, but only because her halter plate is on her leather show halter. All the rest of her halters are nylon and have my last name in black marker

Barn halter has each horse's "barn" name on it. Show halters/shipping halters/grooming halters/all tack has my last name on them as they can be mostly interchangeable. To avoid confusion at shows, each horse's "own" tack goes in tack trunk in front of their stall. Also, each horse has monogrammed sheets/scrims/blankets for showing with my last name on hip - more practical for passing on as one grows out of their current size or moves on.
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

My suggestion is to find a three-line halter plate, so you can have the show name, the barn name, and your name.

For me, on my show plates (once I finally get them) will have my horses' show name and my name. Around the barn will be just their barn name (still debating about my name on that one). All other stuff (the couple bridles that have plates, saddle, blankets/sheets) will get my name or my farm name.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I seem to be the only one, but most of my good halters have just my last name on them. That way they can be used on any horse at any time. I usually get a cheap one with the horses name on it for around the barn, but all my nice show halters just have my last name.
    Who is John Galt?

Breed Emblem
    Line 1: Horse name
    Line 2: Sire - Dam - Dam's Sire (If room)

Barn name only. I like to keep things simple for the barn staff.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Mine have my mare's show name (her barn name is an abbreviation of her show name, so it's not confusing) on the top line, and my name (first and last) on the second line
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

I have two, the one I use at home has Barn Name and my name. Show halter, has show name and my name.

But, the plates are put on with concho screws, so it is easy to interchange them.

My turn out halters and leads all have my last name on them. My grooming halters, shipping halters, and show halters, and lead ropes all have their show names on them.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.