The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 3H Slant trailer configurations: Would this work?

I am looking for a trailer this year and trying to keep an open mind about the type of trailer and the possible configurations that might be useful. I have read some of the other threads and found some good ideas, but here is a possible set-up I have not heard discussed directly. I am not as familiar with slant loads as the other trailer types, so hoping for some input from personal experience...or this may simply be a case of, "Duh! Of course it will work!" ...consider yourself warned that this could be a completely dumb question

If you have a 3 horse slant (like this http://www.kegleypleasurehorses.com/...rseTrailer.pdf), and are hauling two large horses (not huge, think 16.1 and average build), and the single slant stalls especially the two in the front, are a bit of a squeeze for them, could you simply remove the first (front, next to the dressing room wall) divider and have one of the two horses ride in the combined 1st and 2nd slant stalls (tied, so no turning around), and the second ride in the last stall, near the ramp (often a little larger anyway depending on the trailer?). What, if any, would be the potential problems with hauling a horse (tied) in a ‘double’ slant load stall? It would seem this configuration would give both horses a little more room, but also some ‘walls’ to lean against if needed, verses squeezing one into that first slant stall against the solid wall. Am I missing something?

As a disclaimer, I realize in some slant loads those first stalls are not actually that tight and this would be a non-issue, but lets just suppose, for now, that the slant stalls at the front are a little tight for the horses being hauled. Also, realize there are other options with a stock, or just use a straight load, etc., but just wanted to know if this particular configuration would be safe or if anyone has done this to give their horses a little more room in a slant load? Would it work and be safe?
    Last edited by cb06; Jan. 8, 2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: grammer

People do exactly that all the time!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Ah! Thank you CM!
    The biggest complaint I''ve hear about slant loads is the lack of room for larger horses...this would seem to be a workable solution, I just hadn't heard it mentioned specifically.

I have an Exiss-Eventer 300 GN. Before I brought it home I had them remove the back saddle rack stand, the wall that enclosed it, and the middle partition. They made a 2 horse out of a three horse by having he last partition close on the middle 'closer' on the right, if that makes sense. It essentially made 2 semi slanted box stalls out of a 3 horse slant, and allows the 2 horses to be able to walk in, turn around and walk out when unloaded.

I had a Bel/TBX that was 16.3 and a Canadian BelX that was 17.1. They were fine. Now I just have Harry, and I have safely fixed the center partition to the left wall, and he has the whole trailer, riding facing backwards with a hay bag on both sides of his head with plenty of room. He loves it. I can send pics if you want them. I'm all packed, hooked up, and waiting for the storm to pass through and the roads to clear so we can escape.

This is the basic configuration I was thinking of also nadasy. I would love to see pictures of your set-up, especially how you did the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by cb06 View Post
    This is the basic configuration I was thinking of also nadasy. I would love to see pictures of your set-up, especially how you did the inside.
    so would i! please!!!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Me too! I am also trailer shopping and recently considering slant loads.

Let me go turn out Harry, he's waiting and I will post pics.
    D.

Hi CB06, Rescue_Rider9, and tpup,

Okay, I just took photos and came into download and the USB cord is packed!! I went back out into the trailer and the box with all my electronics is packed way in the front of the trailer nose - with a board I made to fit into the peak that prevents the stuff from ending up on the floor.

There is no way I can retreive the box until I get to VA on Mon/Tues because I'm on standby with leaving, and the trailer hooked up. I'm so sorry. Here are some photos I've retreived from some of the albums so you can maybe see the configuration. Hope that works for you, but in any event, I will have them posted by the middle of next week.

http://imageevent.com/nadasy43/redecoration photos 19,20,21
    these were taken in 2006 on my way to Southern Pines area. I had 52 bales of hay in the front half of the trailer and Harry had the back half. He was still able to walk in, turn around and walk out with both doors open.

The last photo is when I was on my way home in West Grove, PA. This one shows how Harry rides when we're not taking hay down. You can see on the left side of the photo how the divider is secured against the wall. It attaches/locks to the middle lock on the right, making the trailer half and half.

This year I have 3 80 lb. bales in the front of the trailer dressing room with 3 shavings and 5 hay bags hanging in the back of the trailer with 2 on either side of where he stands so he can have that for eating on the way to MD and then VA.

Hope this helps a bit. Dinah

That looks plenty roomy for a bigger horse.
    Thanks!
    (cute puppies and kittys too!)

Default if your divider "telescopes"

which a lot of the trailers have now, you can have one divider removed and weld the latch on the butt side further down the length of the trailer, to the furtherest point of the "telescoped" divider. Does that make sense? This will give you a little bit more room to both stalls. Depending on how far the telescope will go, is how much more room you have in the front stall.

I do it all the time in my 7 horse trailer (I actually just have left the first stall larger for Fatty McFatterson my husband's old retired horse. I wonder where the divider even is, come to think of it...)
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

When I purchased my new Sooner 3 horse slant I had them design a latch to secure either one of the two stall dividers back and out of the way (much as described above) to give a HUGE stall space for the big guys. I can easily put a mare and foal side by side (with the mare tied of course) and they have plenty of sideways and front and back room. Although I have the mangers the stall dividers are already designed to be fully removed if required. I often do that if hauling hay or taking my riding lawnmower in for service etc. My golfcart fits right inside too....