The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Muck brand chore boots

Does anyone have any experience with these boots - the mid height specifically? I tried some on and absolutely LOVE how they fit and feel, but $75 is a lot to spend on a pair of boots to wear around the farm unless they are going to last awhile.
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Love them. Well worth the price. Well worth double the price, even. I can walk around for over an hour out in the barn, through the snow, and my feet are toasty, with just a pair of regular socks on. It's -40 wc here and my feet are fine

I had a pair that split across the top on both boots. I was not pleased with how they held up after one year of use; using them 2-3 hours a day. Before they broke apart however, I liked their warmth and they were waterproof, even here in upstate NY...

I was able to get a refund from my feed store and went with BOGS brand, the same mid calf height and style as the other, so far they are great.

What I really like about this style boot (BOGS or MuckBoot) as they are light so I don't feel like I am carrying around 10lbs on each foot and they are warm even with regular socks and in frigid temps and snow...I do wear ice trackers on them though as they are slippery on ice.

I have the higher ones that go just below my knees.

But OMG. Love them. I've had mine for 3 years. I used to spend pretty much all day outside in them in the winter and never had trouble with my feet getting cold..with just regular socks.

As I recall though, I ended up having to take a pair back because the sizing was a little wonky. But that shouldn't be a problem if you're buying them at a store.

I like the high ones better than the mid calf because A) there's no rubbing B) keeps my legs warmer. Some people have complained that the neoprene gets torn up, but I put my coveralls right over the top so I've not had that problem.

They don't offer a lot of traction on ice but they are great in the snow and I use mine in the muck in the spring too.

The foot is a little too wide to get into a stirrup safely (or maybe more accurately, get OUT safely).

I give them an A+
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

If you live in MI, get the tall ones. It is a lot to spend, but they make the winter soo much easier. I had a problem with my first pair leaking, and the store replaced them, so the warranty is good too.

Default Muck Boot Fan!

I am a huge fan...have had mine for 3 years and have not had any problems. What drew me to them was the relaxed fit around my calf. Waterproof, comfortable and warm in the winter...worth every cent.

Thanks everyone! Walking around in the new snow this morning is what really got me thinking that they were worth the price - I am going out to get a pair this afternoon. I will try on the tall ones again but I have large calves and I don't know if my pants will fit comfortably inside them like they do the mid-calf. I couldn't believe how warm they were just in the couple minutes that I tried them on!
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

I've had my Muck boots since I think 2005 and I'm still on that pair....I wear them every single day during winter...and actually use them when it rains in summer, but they do get too hot haha.

They're a very good quality boot...very comfy. I rode the husband's horse in western tack but have to go bareback if I ride my horses.

The $75 is a lot up front (sort of) but its a great investment

I just fold my pant legs over as I slide into the boot. Never had a problem. I have larger calves also, but the neoprene is stretchy. Haven't had issues with that.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I have the Britt Middie which I adore and have had for 3 or 4 years now and they are holding up extremely well with almost daily use when it's below 70F. They keep my feet warm at least down to the low teens, which is about as low as we get around here.

I have these, and love them. Very comfortable for wearing around the barn and while I wouldn't want to run very far in them, I can work my mare in-hand and lounge her, which involves brisk walking.I usually tuck my jeans inside. Also important for me is that there's room for my semi-custom footbed.

Love my Brit Riders, they are toasty, and I can hose the muck off, and run to the store if I need to.

Mine are holding up so well, I think I will need a meat axe to kill them.
    FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

I have the Muck Chores (mid height) and the Brit Riders.
    I bought the Chores in the mid height because the tops are made to roll, so I have have them shorter height or unroll them for deeper snow. The rolled tops actually widen the top, so more air gets in which is how I wear them in fall and early spring so my feet don't melt. Wider calves should fit fine in those.
    Do be forewarned that while they're very toasty, comfy as slippers and definitely 100% waterproof...the Chore soles are slippery as heck on packed snow. The soles are made with very fine wavy shallow tread specifically so you don't track a lot of dirty bedding or manure around on the bottom of your boots. Which means they have little traction. I use a pair of YakTrax attached to them for packed snow or ice.
    The Brit Riders are even more comfy and warmer, and not slippery because they have a heel that help grip. But those can be a pita to slide on and off easily unless you're wearing britches or sweatpants that you can tuck into your socks.
    I'm on my second pair of Brits in 6 years and the same pair of Chores for 3 years now. My first brits wore out, but I was wearing them for a minimum of 6 hours per day 5-6 months per year every single day. I also had a tear in them from constantly scraping into an electrical ground near my barn. In hindsight, that was a stupd place to have that ground rod placed, LOL!
    But yes, they're worth every penny.
    Muck Co Boots are the first on my list of Must Have Wear for winters on a farm. I won't even consider other brands anymore.
    Then add in SmartWool socks, Carhartt insulated winter gloves or SSG insulated winter rancher gloves, Carhartt insulated bib overall and Nike now makes *fantastic* horse-folk perfect turtlenecks! Well, they probably didn't have horse people in mind...but these are mid-height necks that don't need folding over, lined with microfleece but the outer shell is nylon so hay chaff, bedding and horse hair does not stick!!!! They're also stretchy as heck so they don't bunch and long enough to stay tucked in. They're $50, but worth it to have microfleece that isn't a pet-hair magnet!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My muck boot slip-ons are ancient and need replacing. They have survived being chewed by dogs, years of rainy weather and because they are designed for kennel keepers, they don't pick up the horse odours very much. You know the smell, when you are driving along and the heater is on and that unmistakable eau de cheval fills the car?

My husband - he is a Sorrell fan.

I think I need a Nike hi-tech turtle neck. I have cotton and they are NOT cozy.

We have the Mid Height Chore boots here and they are great! With good wool socks they are even pretty warm down to 15 below for an hour or so. Long enough to get through chores .
    Really nice boots for the money.

ditto what everyone else has said... mine have kept me dry while under 6+ inches of hard running water as well. and still going strong 4+ years.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I have the mid-cut Chore boots and love them! I have big calves, and they fit well. They're snug enough to keep my pants tucked in and the snow out, but not so tight they're uncomfortable. I was borrowing a pair of the tall Chores, which I liked until they gave me blisters so bad I could barely walk. No such problem with the mid-cut. I've been out and about in negative or single digit wind chills through deep snow and my feet have yet to get cold in these boots. The person who said they're too wide to ride safely is right, although I do anyway. If you use regular fillis irons, it might be worth buying a pair in 5" or so to use in the winter with muck boots.

I have the knee-high version, and found they kept me toasty in Antarctica. We were on the ice/snow for up to 4 hours at a time, and waded in the below-freezing water (it's salty, so it doesn't freeze at 32F).

I also wear then at home in the cold or mud, and they're great. I'd like a short pair for when I don't need to keep my legs warm.

Love my Mucks. I think they are at least 2 years old now...maybe 3.
    Last edited by camohn; Jan. 10, 2010 at 09:10 AM.

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

I love mine--wear them every day for chores. Has really helped save my paddocks. I think they are well worth the $$. I even got a pair for DH. He likes his esp. on rainy, muddy days.
    "I never met a man I didn't like who liked horses." Will Rogers