The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How can I keep my $%##&#& portable run in up?!

So I went to tractor supply, and I got one of those temporary garage things that are made with tarps to use as my run in shed. It went up easy, it looked great, and it blew OVER my 5'0" fence and into a crumpled heap in three days.

I put in those metal pins that come with it, I have augers but I can't get them into this frozen ground, and now judging by the flying power my shed had, I'm concerned maybe they're not enough!

How does everyone use these sheds? What do you do to anchor them? And is there any way people can take pictures so I do it exactly right?

Not only am I very frustrated, I feel terrible. My horses must've thought they were in a reenactment of the Wizard of Oz!

So please COTH, help me keep my shed up!

We had one back several years ago at another place, but we sunk 4x4's and attacned the uprights to those with pipe clamps. It held up fine that way, but wouldn't have used anything else! I do have the "garage" type coverall now that I use for hay and it is anchored with big augers.

We bought one of those to keep our lawn tractor and patio furniture in and same as you, the first bit of real wind we had, the thing tried to blow away. My OH decided to rebuild the framework inside it (he made a wooden frame and took out the spindly little metal frame) and then he made solid ends for it out of wood again, one end being totally solid and the other end having double doors, again made out of wood. He also rebuilt the framework so that it sits on wooden bearers and is screwed down to them. It hasn't moved in 2 years and as we are in hilly country we sure get some good winds blowing in.

We make our own portable sheds, but any local welder can make you some and they really don't cost much.
    I think we had a little over $700 in the 12' by 27' and I have seen them selling locally for about some $1500
    The red pieces are braces that will be cut off after setting the sheds up.
    There are two in this picture, one behind the other:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1262978980

To secure them, we dig a hole like for a fence post in each corner, drop a chain with an old bolt across on the bottom and fill it with a few sacks of concrete mix and water.
    Then we wrap and bolt the chain to each corner at the bottom.
    If we connect two, we use one hole and two chains in that common corner.
    We have not had any fastened like that blow over, yet and we get some fierce winds.

Bluey,

Part of why I used those is because I'm trying to avoid a building permit, and have them be portable. The field that I am using is not going to be the field I will be using primarily once we fence in the rest of the property this spring.

So I'm looking for something movable, without a building permit. I'm trying to avoid red tape for something that's only going to be there three or four months anyway until it's moved elsewhere on the property.

But those look really neat, I may be very interested once we get the rest fenced in!

can you attach a few of the legs to a fence post or two? If not, what about concrete blocks?
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

... but they are portable, they're just chained down.

You can do something similar with wood, essentially building them on skids so you can move them around later.

Whether you need a building permit really depends on the area. Where we're moving, you can build up to 150 square feet for agricultural use without one.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Here it's any kind of "permanent" structure I guess.

My boyfriend's dad had put up a temporary shed for his cows and almost had issues until they saw it wasn't concreted in. I don't want to cause any grief for my boyfriend (and myself), especially if I'd like to build a real shed later on anyway.

Does anyone have photos of these skids? I don't mean to seem dense but I'm so worried I'll mess it up and have it blow away again!

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    Bluey,

Part of why I used those is because I'm trying to avoid a building permit, and have them be portable. The field that I am using is not going to be the field I will be using primarily once we fence in the rest of the property this spring.

So I'm looking for something movable, without a building permit. I'm trying to avoid red tape for something that's only going to be there three or four months anyway until it's moved elsewhere on the property.

But those look really neat, I may be very interested once we get the rest fenced in!
    Ours are portable, just chained down.
    We have moved them around over the years to where we need them, temporarily, just dragged them around with the tractor, some 3 miles down the road.
    A few I sold to a friend and we jacked them up, drove a flat bed trailer under it, fastened on there and away he went.

There are some companies in the East that make those with wood and haul them around.

No matter what kind you get, you will have to fasten them down to posts or like us, to a concrete anchor.

Those screw type mobil home anchors didn't work for us, we tried them first and the anchors just sheared at the ground and the sheds went tumbling, but didn't hurt them any.

you need to erect the thing in an area with a windblock, they just cannot stand up to strong winds at all no matter what you do. Everyone I know who's had success with one (myself included) has them set up in a stand of trees.

unless you have ideal ground, the augers stink, and there are far too few with the kit anyhow.

go to the hardware store and get 18" long thick straight eye bolts, get at least 6 per long side, 2 per each short side. No smaller than 18". Find your sledgehammer or a big heavy mallet. Also get ratcheting tie downs, a kit of 6 can be had for $25 at home depot, etc. Finally, get about 25 bricks or large heavy stones, etc. And finally get a shovel.

Erect the frame in a spot with a windblock, drive the eyebolts into the ground down to the eye with a sledgehammer (you do not want to use a regular hammer, trust me, ask me how I know), and then ratchet the frame to the eyebolts. Put on the cover, and then take your bricks and line them ontop of the cover where it overlaps the ground. Then, with yoru shovel, shovel dirt or manure/compost on top of the bricks/skirt, all the way around the whole thing to keep the sides from flapping and breathing on you.

but really, these things aren't meant to withstand direct strong wind.

Ditto the windblock , if possible. A friend installed several in her paddocks. She attached the corners and centers( long sides) to T posts for additional strength. She capped the T posts and padded and duct taped each post to the supplied anchor posts for extra strength and protection for the horses. She also had a larger shelter that she used to store hay/shavings, and equipment and it worked out quite well for years, until she got her barn built. Drive the posts or clamps in as far as you can , add extra as needed and if you need, tie things down.

Buck, sounds as if that's what I need to do. I wanted it in the open by where I feed them (the "sacrifice area") but if that's going to make it a big kite, I'll need to try other things.

I will start to scout for the perfect place, your tips are all very helpful keep them coming!

Buy 4 concrete blocks, 4 concrete eye-screws and attach to concrete blocks and then double end clips to attach run in kite...erm, garage...to concrete blocks.
    Or if you have a tractor...bang ties into frozen ground as far as you can and then use tractor bucket to slam them home.
    Other than it's flight ability, how's the quality of the TSC portable garage? I'm thinking of eventually getting one of those to cover my tractor with.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Aside from it's airborne tendencies... It's really nice. So easy to put up, well made, it looked beautiful and they loved it. Totally blocked the wind.

Concrete blocks sound great and really doable for me in the short term. I don't have a truck (thank god hay gets delivered), so it can be tough for me to get everything without borrowing a vehicle to go get it!

I wasn't exactly intending for "horses at home" quite so quickly... my Green Acres fantasy is over I tell you.

A friend had anchored hers onto railroad ties which where then anchored into the ground, but the darn thing took flight, flew over two fences and hit the old bank barn broadside during a nasty windstorm last summer. It was a miracle the 5 horses huddled inside it during the storm weren't injured or killed. The windbreak idea is a great one!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Good to know Magic...thanks. The concrete blocks may work fine for short term...but I would do something a bit better like Buck suggests when the weather/time permits.
    I've been wanting something to cover the tractor with for some time now. I had a perfect spot for it since it fit under my second story deck, but hubby tried backing it out of there a couple weekends ago and damned near took down my deck! So since I can't seem to convince him that the tractor is off limits (he's too macho to admit his wife is the sole tractor and truck driver around here) I had to park it in the driveway and have a tarp over it with a couple bungees holding it on and an 8" round 10' long fence post on each side holding the tarp edges down. But it's a pita because I have to clear the snow off the tarp to get the tarp off.
    Green Acres indeed around here too. Except my husband is Zsa Zsa.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'm definitely more Zsa Zsa, my boyfriend's the handy one... I mean, hell, he grew up on this farm. He knows how to do "farm" things. I'm from New Jersey, so I just bumble along and try to be "handy" which generally explodes in my face or, in this face, flies away! He's pretty sure this canopy will remain kite like no matter what, so he's not exactly at his most helpful right now unfortunately.

Yeah I'm thinking that'll be the perfect solution for now, and as soon as it thaws, securing it as much as physically possible.

And now, to get it out from the bottom of the hill... Not fun. I'm so not looking forward to this.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Mine were anchored with dog ties in four corners. Not the screw in type but the heavy steel type that has a leg that comes out when you try to pull it up. I can't seem to find a link. Bought them at WallyWorld, they are flourescent orange and have about 12" of chain on the end. You drive them all the way in, then the 'foot' keeps them from lifting out. Problem is removing them when you *want* to... but... Better that than the alternative.

Do you have panels inside? My back one hasn't been actually anchored for 4 or 5 years to the GROUND, only to the gate panels. It went wandering once, when the rope to the ground anchors sheared... after that, I only anchored to the panles, and it hasn't gone wandering since.

Something that helps in very high winds is to run a rope or ratchet tie right over the top of the shed. Ground-over-roof, back to ground on other side. This holds the roof 'down' against the balloon effect, which is what usually is the issue in *my* high winds.

Also, figuring out which way the shed has to point is important. My 'front' barn is parallel to my house, and that one lasted 8 years with ne'er an issue. The back one had issue after issue--it is at a 90 degree angle to front. (so they are set up in a backwards "L" shape... Front one is the bottom, back one is the upright." So when I put another one in my side paddock, I faced it same way as the front one. All was well until this last storm, in hurricanes, blizzards, etc., she never went a wandering.

I *do* love my 'barn-in-a-box', even despite the last storm. Everyone agrees that the windstorms the last two years--which have been worse than hurricanes, and from weird directions--created metal fatigue, and the huge, heavy wet snowfall was the straw that broke the camel's back. First time in 8 years I've had that problem, I'm not complaining (too loudly anyway... )
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)