The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cheese Grater stirrup pads- yay or nay?

Title says it all.

They are ok but they will chew up the soles of your boots and be very very careful when running the stirrup up and down because it will scratch the saddle very easily.

I wanted them but I am going with the pads that have the sand paper bottom instead.

I vote sandpaper instead of cheese grater. Same effect IMO and easier on your saddle and boots.
    Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, / And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, / Do not go gentle into that good night. -- Dylan Thomas

Ouch ouch. They're fine for show, but go ride in them for 3 hours solid and then talk to me! They make my feet hurt, and back hurt too. I used them for lessons and shows for about a year. Not to mention I have cut my knucles on them and then can scratch your saddle.

Regular stirrup pads wear out sooner than I'd like. I *hate* feet slipping in worn out stirrup pads. I bought some sandpaper on the bottom type pads which I did like a fair bit recently.

Got the Super Comfort pads that are the black, grippy wrap around kind. I haven't ridden in mine yet but really liked the feel the one time I rode in a friend's. Supposed to be super comfy, hence the name I'm sure these have drawbacks too but to me they appear they will work better for me than the ouchy metal cheese graters. I will know as soon as I get to ride (horse is off at training during Christmas break).

Yay! I loff mine

I love mine but they do take some getting used to. I used to abrade my hands running up my stirrups until I got used to grabbing the stirrup by the bar instead of the pad.

Cheese grater pads were too "hard" for my liking - at first I was like woohoo these are super grippy (I have the worst time with my feet sliding out when I put my heels down), but then they were a bit uncomfortable for me when pushing my heels down for an hour, there's no give from rubber or padding, just hard metal. And my feet would still slip sometimes anyways because the soles of my boots were getting really worn from the cheese grater pads.

I prefer the Super Comfort pads too - have had them for about 2 years and they're still grippy. My boot tread wears faster than the Super Comfort pads. I destroy the sandpaper type pads, and everything else wears down too fast. I'm hard on my stuff I guess, I use it 7 days a week!
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

pro jumps!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Thanks guys!!

i lurv mine! I used to swear by sandpaper pads, until I drew a horse at and IHSA show that had cheesegraters on her saddle, and haven't gone back. I get a better grip.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

DD loves them - upgraded from the sandpaper ones and says they are much better!

I like both the cheese graters and Super Comfort pads for their anti-slip properties.

Trainer saddle has the cheese graters: her leathers are chewed up from them, but saddle seems okay.

I have the Super Comfort pads: as I have posted before, my leathers are fine, but they scratch up my saddle. I may be unique in this.

I put Crown Royal bags on my irons to protect my saddle and actually have a custom saddle cover on the way with cut out slots to put my irons through so I will be storing them on the outside of the cover, away from the saddle.

Totally worth it though. I hate riding without them.

Pro Jumps are the best!! They don't have the same effect as the cheese grater kind on stirrup or saddle. I had a friend who had the sandpaper kind, was riding in drizzle and was left with goo!!

I bought something years ago for my daughter, they were sturdy, solid but screwed into the stirrup? they gave the grip of the cheese grater, but didn't ruin your boot. I found them at Beval, they weren't cheap, maybe 30-40 bucks, but no more lost pads!!

Ok, I guess they are prob the pro jumps

I loff my cheese grater pads, too. For the $10 they cost, I would try a pair. If you don't like them, rinse them off and you could probably sell them for what you paid.

Yay! I totally love mine. They're fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    I loff my cheese grater pads, too. For the $10 they cost, I would try a pair. If you don't like them, rinse them off and you could probably sell them for what you paid.
    I actually got them for free with some stirrups I bought. I was just wondering if they would be worth digging them up and trying them.

Quote Originally Posted by forestergirl99 View Post
    I actually got them for free with some stirrups I bought. I was just wondering if they would be worth digging them up and trying them.
    I like them and prefer them to sandpaper ones. Haven't noticed them affecting my leathers, but I have not checked the soles of my boots.

I loved mine - until I got hung up on them one time I was dumped by a young horse... and dragged. I couldn't get my foot out of the stirrup because of those pads. Took them off my saddle that day and never went back.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

too easy to grate up your stirrup leathers so I went with the wrap around kind. Been very satisfied!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."