The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on this pedigree? NEW PICS!

Hi folks,
    If anyone has a moment to look at this guy's pedigree and give me any insight I'd certainly appreciate it.. this belongs to a 3 year old gelding that I might be picking up tomorrow. I don't know much about him, from my minimal research he won at Woodbine on 4/11/09, but didn't show too well after. Raced at Gulfstream on 2/8/09. I ride hunters, and have one OTTB that I am desperately in love with and has worked out wonderfully, so I'm hoping this guy will too. Nothing makes me happier than opening up my home to these guys that need it!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/brave+indy

Thanks in advance for any replies..
    Last edited by TooManyChickens; Jan. 11, 2010 at 09:39 AM.

Well I can't tell you anything that will be useful for your purposes but he was bred to be a nice horse. Looks like he took after Mom who couldn't outrun a fat man. If pedigree query is correct he is the only one of her four foals to be named. Not a good sign. Somebody took a bath on her and her foals. I hope you enjoy him, I am sure he is a looker.

Do you say 'not a good sign' because her foals weren't showing promise, and she was probably an expensive broodmare? I would have thought they'd at least have registered the 07 foal.. I know little about TB breeding so I apologize for my ignorance.. I hope he's as beautiful as I am imagining him to be..

Pedigree query is know to be extremely inaccurate so take it for what its worth but the '07 should have been named by now so he could run. There is still hope for the other two as they are young. His dam made something like $1800 and was bred to some nice stallions so there is a lot of money invested in her. All of that is irrelevant for your purposes of course. If he ran to his pedigree he wouldn't be for sale as a riding horse.

This horse is the first foal out of the mare. MY Apr only goes thru the end of 2006 so it does not show the following foals but they are very easily looked up on the jockey club site. The 2007 has a name change pending as of 1/8/10, "Lady of the Forest." The 2008 filly is registered but not named, NOT unusual at all for a just turning 2yo to not be named. Dont worry about that at all - it's nothing. I had a 4 yo first time starter I got ready and he was unnamed til he was gate ready as a 4 yo.

The bad thing about doing ANY research of any kind on pedquery is its wild inaccuracies. I do not recommend relying on that website for any sort of in depth pedigree research, except for major stallions that are correctly inputted then "locked down" to prevent any changes to correct that verified information. There is another pedigree website that is verified and accurate -halo knows which one it is- tbhorsepedigree.com I believe.

From a sport horse perspective, one has to love Runaway Groom, Fappiano, Seattle Slew, and In Reality. This horse was bred to be a nice one - you are lucky to have such a nicely bred animal. Post pics when you can!!
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

I was curious who had him at Woodbine, and found he was in Reade Baker's barn. That's where he broke his maiden for $40,000MCL. That said, half his 8 starts (1-0-1) are hit gate, bumped rival, cut to rail, steadied start (not his fault, but still)...sounds like he ran into lots of issues running so maybe they gave up lol

Agreeing with the remarks on Pedigree Query accuracy, he is still commented there to have been a pricey foal (OBSMAR08:$200K) so he should at least look the part. Dam is an AP Indy so that's probably why she would be an expensive mare they hope to return some investment on with the stallions they've chose.

FWIW, I am told that Fappiano is a good name for an H/J pedigree.

He's nicely bred for a racehorse but he apparently has no talent for it, so it'd depend on whether that's because of injury, his being not very smart or a slow learner about his job on the track (could be a problem if he's generally not too bright) or if he's just not cut out for track life and a good horse otherwise. It couldn't hurt to take a look as he's probably pretty, anyway.

Ahhh very interesting. Thank you for all that information! Sometimes those with only a few starts I'm almost a bit more concerned about, but it sounds like he at least finished all his races and *hopefully* wasn't injured. Will check out his legs up and down. Since he's still fairly close from the time when he stopped racing, a bow or other issues I would think would be somewhat apparent, but the person that has him now says he's a lovely mover and very sound, so I'm not incredibly concerned. Excited to see this guy, will post pics if he comes home!

Would love to see some pics if you can get some.
    I have a one by a son of Fappiano who is a very lovely type....

There is a head shot of him on Reade's site:

http://www.readebaker.com/news08.shtml

You could also contact them via email and explain why you're curious about him, and you will very likely get a response. Good people.

I actually did write Reade, so I'm hoping to get a response. Thank so much for the link to the head shot! He looks cute!

personally, I love riding a horse that sold for almost a quarter million dollars.

of course, there is inflation the consider.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Well, he has a kind eye!

He's got an amazing sport horse pedigree and "should" be able to do whatever you ask of him. Pedigree, however, is only one small part of the whole package. A lot depends on the horse's temperament and talent and you won't know that until you start training him.

Hoping he turns out to be all you want! We'll be waiting for updates.... Best of luck.

Okay, something is a bit odd here.

He ran at Saratoga for a 35K tag and then ran at Meadowlands for 6500 six weeks later? I appreciate that he was running at WO for 25K prior to that, and maybe they just tossed him in at SAR on the turf on a lark (but the Hills aren't exactly neophytes).

I don't necessarily think he's unsound. I'm just bewildered. Anyone else have any insight? Am I missing something? I mean, why wouldn't you sell this horse down to MNR as a 5K claimer?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    I mean, why wouldn't you sell this horse down to MNR as a 5K claimer?
    There are plenty who would give a go at eking something out of him as a bottom level claimer, but isn't it refreshing that he's got a shot at a new career before he gets used up on the track? It's not like he showed a heck of a lot when he dropped like a rock in class.

One of my mares started out running for a $50,000 tag at Calder, within the year dropped to the more appropriate $5000 at Suffolk, and ended up with me simply because her trainer knew she wasn't happy with track life. 'Not a thing wrong with her.

Hey folks!
    Brave Indy came home today. He is absolutely adorable and was very well behaved considering the below freezing windy day! He's going to get a few months off to relax and hopefully I'll have a nice hunter in the making. I will post pics asap!

That's certainly interesting information about his racing history.. He jogged sound (lovely mover!) and had clean legs, so crossing fingers he and my 5 year old play nicely

Congratulations, and enjoy!

If you want to learn more about his racing career (for free) go to http://www.equibase.com/ and in the lower left side of the page is a slot labeled "Horse Search". Put his name into it & on the next page, you'll get an accurate race summary (number of starts, number of times on the board & race earnings - in his case, 8 starts, 1-0-1 and $26,287 in earnings) and a link to the charts describing his last two races - below the link to those charts is "See All Results" where you can get a link to the charts for all of his results.

There is a little video camera icon where you can actually watch a replay of the race - -that'll cost you. The rest is free.

Congratulations & enjoy.

By the way - a lot of horses who can't stay sound enough to race CAN stay sound enough to be show horses.

Enjoy him!

P.S. - I haven't cruised to the sporthorse breeding forum yet, but this might have gotten good responses if posted there, too.
    Last edited by KBEquine; Jan. 9, 2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: To add the p.s.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I am a sucker for the Cherokee Run's, they are a great looking bunch.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    There are plenty who would give a go at eking something out of him as a bottom level claimer, but isn't it refreshing that he's got a shot at a new career before he gets used up on the track?
    Oh yes, unquestionably. I just thought it was unusual.

Good luck with him! As Linny says, the CRs are fine lookers!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.