The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Missing/Stolen Saddles in Wellington, FL

Hi everyone! I was hoping that maybe if I post this here the word will get out and someone might find some info on a couple of saddles that went missing sometime between last night after 7:30pm and today.

The first is a pretty unique saddle. Its a 16.5" Brunet Pinneau, regular flap, has knee rolls and blocks, Im pretty sure it has wool panels as well. It is probably about 12 years old, its also quite narrow, as its the only saddle that fits on our shark withered TB. It also has/had a nameplate on it that says "Betsy Joyce #3". It also had leathers and irons on it as well. I dont have the serial # on me at this time, but if I get it, I will post it here.

The second saddle is a 14" Pessoa Jr (or whatever the kids model is called). I dont think there are any identification marks on it. I would guess the best bet to find this one is really just seeing that both saddles ended up at the same place at the same time.

Thank you so much, please contact or post if you have any information!

Please tell us where they were located last (barn, trailer/ truck, showgrounds, home, hotel.) You never know what someone else might have seen, so details please! Also put a notice up @ Tackeria and that other little consignment shop, as well as making the salespeople aware. I will contact the shops around here that do a little consignment. Maybe others in Tampa and Ocala can get the word out since HITS is coming up? Also the folks who are familiar with the shops up the East coast? That's really cruddy. Another economy trickle down effect.

Wow, saddles getting stolen already?

Usually that seems to happen towards the end of circuit, not before it starts!

Also, please post your email address so you can be reached quickly. Have you filed a police report?
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

Let this be a message to everyone: YOU NEED TO WRITE THE SERIAL NUMBER OF YOUR SADDLE DOWN AND KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE. This is the only way to prove that saddles being resold elsewhere are yours. Filing a police report including the serial number of your saddle will ensure that you get it back in the event that it is found being resold elsewhere.

I hope you get the saddles back. It seems like a ton of saddles are disappearing lately. I know a lot of people have HO insurance that provides an "umbrella" over this type of equipment, so if it needs to be replaced, that's the first place I'd call.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

After reading this post, I thought I was going to be sick! Kind of off topic, but say stuff is stolen and not found, do homeowners policies cover this. I did some quick math, and between saddles, show bridle and girth, schooling bridle, front boots, show sheets and blankets/rain, helmet and boots which stay in trunk, I tallied up give or take 7000!!!

I just sent an email off to my insurance agent, but curious if anyone has ever looked into this.

I never head of "renters" insurance at shows, so that wouldn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
    After reading this post, I thought I was going to be sick! Kind of off topic, but say stuff is stolen and not found, do homeowners policies cover this. I did some quick math, and between saddles, show bridle and girth, schooling bridle, front boots, show sheets and blankets/rain, helmet and boots which stay in trunk, I tallied up give or take 7000!!!

I just sent an email off to my insurance agent, but curious if anyone has ever looked into this.

I never head of "renters" insurance at shows, so that wouldn't work!
    I have asked my insurance carrier. My homeowners' insurance covers personal property, including saddles, etc. anywhere that it is. Jewelry has to be covered as a separate item.

The saddles were stolen out of our tack room at our farm GP village. We suspect its an inside job (long story...not going to get into it). We have a TON of more "marketable" saddles in house and none of those got taken. We think that the whoever took them figured we didnt use them on a daily basis and might not notice that they were gone(seriously? I dont really know what to think now!) as the french saddle is quite old, and the pessoa saddle is used for pony rides when relatives/guests are in town. The owners of the saddles have filed police reports and I do know that the Brunet Pinneau is insured, so it will be able to be replaced. Its really just a shame to lose such a good saddle, they certainly dont make ANYTHING like they used to, and it was a favorite at the barn.

We are really hoping that because you dont see a Brunet Pinneau around like you do other popular brands that maybe we have a chance of recovering it. Im fairly new to the area and dont know what tack shops do consignments on a regular basis. Plus, I dont think that many places are set up at the WEF grounds yet.

My email is raeffron@gmail.com

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Bump for the AM

Sorry that Betsy and Marsha were robbed. Check sites like Ebay and Ocala4sale and sites like that for the ill gotten booty. Sad. Fingers crossed for a recovery.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
    My homeowner's insurance covers it, its the first call I made when I bought my CWD.

Just got a response back and same answer! Good to know, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieb Schon View Post
    Another economy trickle down effect.
    Hu?
    People stole saddles when the economy was good. It has nothing to do with the economy, it has to do with people wanting what is not theirs and taking it.

Very sad.

bump

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Hu?
    People stole saddles when the economy was good. It has nothing to do with the economy, it has to do with people wanting what is not theirs and taking it.

Very sad.
    Well you are certainly correct that the economy would never have anything to do with theft. I'm probably just being overly sensitive to the fact that I'll be furloughed on Jan. 16th along with 494 other people.