The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How late is too late to body clip?

My gelding is at "school" for the winter and his coat is heavier than normal this year - guess he "knew" it was going to be unusually cold here!

He's not a wooly mammoth, but there's enough coat that he takes a little while to dry after a work-out.

I live in MS. When is too late in the year to body clip him? I'm wondering if it's too late now - I don't want to mess up his spring coat.

The Spring coat has only juuuuuust begun to think about starting to grow. Daylight hours have increased, by small amounts, for only 3 weeks. You're safe

We are just doing our second clips now, you should be safe. That being said I happen to be the lucky owner of a young TB that decided against growing much of a coat this year and didn't have to body clip. Not only that, but now he has decided that spring is indeed on it's way since the light change and he is already shedding! Yeah for me!

Honestly... I body clip horses whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I don't do it until they begin to shed. Their coats always come in just fine and look great. No worries!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I'm in the camp that you can clip any time and be fine. I know people who clip year round and the horses look great.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

It's definitely not too late to clip. Have clipped horses in March and they still turn out their normal spring/summer coat.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

The question is, do you only want to clip once or are you prepared to clip again come spring?

Clip now, head to toe and he will look totally normal by spring.

Clip now, any type of trace or hunter clip and you may have to reclip him totally early early spring to get rid of the lines.

I start clipping in Sept, clip until the 1st week of Dec. If I do a full clip then, I may have to zip off the guard hairs before April shows but that is all. If I do a blanket clip in Dec, I do another clip in March/April for the spring show because the pony is never shed out in time.

I always clip my white horse in late March.. I cannot stand all that long, nasty, stained hair.. I like to start spring with a clean slate ie: a white-again horse nothing cleans a white horse like clipping it naked!
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

10pm, that's bedtime. Seriously, though, I've clipped horses just about in every month of the year (even July!) and haven't ruined a coat yet.
    Click here before you buy.

Yup, they shed a bit year round and I think in the spring/summer that coat is recycling all the time. I love my clippers!
    ---

I agree with the others and clip whenever I need/want to! The beasties all look fine
    Y'all ain't right!

My 2 TB's are getting their 1st clips this week, and no one is shedding out or even attempting to.
    Maybe last nights snow threw them off schedule

I just clipped the Pony last weekend, and she looks great! And no longer looks likes a yak monster ;-)

Thanks everyone! He usually starts shedding late Feb/March - which will be here before I know it - so I may just tough out the fuzz this year.

It is never too late to clip, and if he's in work, he'd probably be much happier with some kind of clip then being fuzzy and getting sweaty. It would be like us absolutely having to work out in our wool sweaters and puffy coats and not being allowed to take them off!