The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Default Looking for info

This is just a shot in the dark...
    Looking for info on my now 20 yr old OTTB. I have had him since he is 8 and I have some info on him. Just wondering if anyone has anything else to add...
    Eclipse (that's his name) Info:
    JC Name:Crosslake Shells, PA bred
    Owner: Catherine Gore, MD
    Sire: Water Moccasin
    Dam: Clemmy’s Ambition
    Dam Sire: Bold Ambition
    Breeder: Donald R. Knenlein, PA
    Jockey Club Reg. # 9025761
    Birthday June 13, 1990
    Tattoo # T25761
    Raced 9 times.

I got him from a horse dealer in LI, NY who bought him from New Holland in Jan 1998. I ran his tattoo number and got the above info.
    Just looking to fill in the gaps of his history just to know....
    Thanks.....

here is his sire's pedigree:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/water+moccasin

under the progeny list provided on pedigree query there is no offspring by the name that you provided for this stallion.

The name that comes up from the offspring of this sire/dam combination is Canoe Trip who was born in 1989.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/canoe+trip

water moccasin's last foal listed was born in 2000

under the progeny list provided on pedigree query there is no offspring by the name that you provided for this stallion.

The name that comes up from the offspring of this sire/dam combination is Canoe Trip who was born in 1989.
    Pedigree Query is often incomplete, as it is an unofficial site that allows anyone to enter information on horses, real or imaginary. In this case, no one had ever bothered to add the info on the OP's horse. You need to go to Equineline or Brisnet to determine correct progeny info. The mare Canoe Trip is the full sibling to Crosslake Shells.

Default Thank you...

Never thought they'd try for another one of him seeing as he raced 9 times starting a 4 and finishing at 7 and never in the money.
    I love him anyway...
    Last edited by ctab; Jan. 7, 2010 at 04:22 PM.

Don't know how much money she made, but Canoe Trip started 50 times and won at least once. She's a year older than your horse, so he was the duplication attempt.

Hopefully someone else on here with a subscription will give you a rundown on the dam and the rest of her progeny.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
    She's a year older than your horse, so he was the duplication attempt.

I went to Brisnet and came up with this (Follow link)
    http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfsqcxft_26chzcn7hc

I can see he was a very much a "blue collar"racehorse, with terrible odds!
    Just not destined to be a racehorse.

I was wondering, one if anyone knew him or worked with him
    and if anyone can explain what all those abbreviations mean!
    Thank you all so very much.

Well I can take a stab at the abbreviations. Let me know if I miss one that you're not sure of.

All of his works were at Bowie in Maryland. The first number is the distance he worked- 4f would be four furlongs. The initials after that denotes the footing- gd is good, ft I'm assuming means fast. B means breezing, the little g means from the gate, H means handily. The following number is where he ranked among the other horses working the same distance that day- 4/6 means he was the fourth fastest out of six horses.

His first 6 races he ran without any medication or equipment (the M/E line) Then when he was under a new owner/trainer, the next two races he ran on Lasix (L), and in his final start he was on Lasix and wore blinkers (b). The (f) that you see by other horse's names are for front wraps.

He was tried both short and longer on the dirt, then had nearly a year's gap before he came back under a new owner/trainer and was tried both short and long on the turf but without any improvement.

Default crosslake shells

Go to equineline and enter his name. He was born in 1990 in PA on June 13--9 starts and was unplaced.

Default Thank you...

to everyone.
    I appreciate you all taking the time to educate me.

I know the people that come to this forum care about the horses in training or owned by them.
    Mine is one just like one you have or know of. He made it to a forever home where he is loved and happy. He is healthy and is as sound as he was when he was 8, which is close to 100%. No supplements, no injections, no special therapy's needed, even now. We work on dressage and jumping with trail riding and eventing for fun. I have learned so much from him, more than any other horse I have worked with. This breed is so wonderful and the more I work with them the more I appreciate them. I am grateful for the time he spent as a racehorse becasue he had a career and one helluva education before I got him. He is very much a professional when it come to work but a real love and very happy.
    So when you see threads about the ones who got away and you wonder what happened, mine is one who landed in a good place.
    One day, maybe this spring, I am going to try to bring him to Belmont thru a trainer friend of a friend, and let him open up on the track like he once did and just can't where I am now. Just once, to see what it could be like....

Quote Originally Posted by ctab View Post
    One day, maybe this spring, I am going to try to bring him to Belmont thru a trainer friend of a friend, and let him open up on the track like he once did and just can't where I am now. Just once, to see what it could be like....
    Uhhh...not to rain on your parade, but unless you are an expert racing conditioner AND have a license as an exercise rider (or your trainer friend of a friend is fine risking one of their hire's lives) I cannot emphasize enough what a bad idea that is. What it would be like is like making someone in their sixties who ran track in high school run the hundred-yard dash. They might be okay, they might blow out a knee, they might drop from a heart attack.

I doubt it's a big concern, as if your friend's friend is even REMOTELY a responsible person they're going to say no. But seriously, that is NOT a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Uhhh...not to rain on your parade, but unless you are an expert racing conditioner AND have a license as an exercise rider (or your trainer friend of a friend is fine risking one of their hire's lives) I cannot emphasize enough what a bad idea that is. What it would be like is like making someone in their sixties who ran track in high school run the hundred-yard dash. They might be okay, they might blow out a knee, they might drop from a heart attack.

I doubt it's a big concern, as if your friend's friend is even REMOTELY a responsible person they're going to say no. But seriously, that is NOT a good plan.
    Totally agree. Aside from risking injury (to your horse, or yourself), maybe he doesn't give a RA about "opening up" anymore. If he did want to he probably would have had a better race record to begin with. I'm really not trying to be rude, but just be satisfied that you have a wonderful horse, and he's safe and sound. I have 2 of them right now, and over a dozen in the past, and none of them have ever told me they miss the track
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I agree with the other posters on the thought of a Belmont day trip...

I am not trying to be mean, but Please do not consider that this good idea or that it would be fun. BAD idea all around.

I doubt the Belmont folks would let you on the track with him anyway...