The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jump construction question- Keyhole? UPDATE post 11 Finished Jump

Wondering what most people call a jump you jump "through", like a covered jump. Also wondering if anyone can suggest a somewhat standard measurement for the height of one. We are estimating between 9' and 11' opening, but unsure of overhead required for a prelim or training level jump. Does anyone have any good pictures?
    Last edited by Lucyjane; Jan. 25, 2010 at 09:40 AM.

Copied and Pasted from the FEI cross country course design guidelines:

http://www.i-eoc.org/FEI%20Cross%20C...%20%5B2%5D.pdf

Hole fences
     The height of the hole should not be less than 1.80 m and the width not less than 1.60 m.
     Any surface that can be touched by the horse must always be soft (not susceptible to hurt the horse or the rider).
     The spread should not be more than 50% of that permitted for the level. The comment about double brushes (see above) applies.
    Fences with roof
     The roof should not be placed at less than 2.20 m from the top of the fence.
     It is not recommended to use roofs at water complexes where the horse has to jump into the roofed area (e.g. where there is a roofed bank in the water).

Cheers!

Default "Picture Frame"

If you are aiming towards a Training/Prelim level jump, I think you may be thinking more of a "picture frame" rather than a keyhole. That is the name I have always used to refer to jumps with a "roof" or any type of structure that the horse must jump through. According to the USEA Eventing Rulebook:

d. Any roof, or other fixed and solid barrier over an obstacle, must not be less than 3.36 meters (11 feet) above the ground.

My silly horse "ducked" his head down between his knees the first time he jumped one of these. I wish I had a picture because it felt hilarious and my friends watching could not stop laughing!!

Good luck with building!!

Jammie

We have a bunch of photos on the Tamarack Hill Farm Facebook page, and there are 2 of the old keyhole fence at Rolex, back in the early 90s.

I`m not computer savvy enough to provide a link, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by The Centaurian View Post

„h It is not recommended to use roofs at water complexes where the horse has to jump into the roofed area (e.g. where there is a roofed bank in the water).

Cheers!

Not sure if this rule was a recent addition...if not then someone forgot to tell Tommy Brennan when he designed the European Championships in 2003 at Punchestown because there was just that..

yeah, those FEI guidelines were published in August 2009. I remember in the '92 or '96 Olympics there was an option to trot through a tricky maze or to jump a brush "hole" just barely big enough for horse and rider to fit through. Most chose the slower maze, and many of those who attempted the hole jump took a spill! That hole was definitely not built to these newer FEI standards, either

Virginia HT and Paradise Farm have both had Prelim keyholes in the past 5 or 8 years. Emailing Penny Ross or/and Lellie Ward might get you some info. Pine Top Farm has also had something in between a big ol picture frame and a keyhole - they have had Prelim jump into/through a western bar facade sort of thing.

http://www.richlandpark.com/intermediate.html

Click on number 16 I think. It is the keyhole that was previously on the Intermediate/**/advanced/*** course, but this past year they used it on the prelim course aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    http://www.richlandpark.com/intermediate.html

Click on number 16 I think. It is the keyhole that was previously on the Intermediate/**/advanced/*** course, but this past year they used it on the prelim course aswell.
    Number 15! Thats a pretty incredible looking jump...I would get a little jittery on my way up to that one i think!...afraid i would lose a kneecap!
    ~Kailey~
    "The world is best viewed through the ears of a horse."

Thanks so much everyone, what a fantastic help! Will post pictures when we get it finished.
    We're doing a pretty simple, Asian inspired shape. If the ground ever dries up we would like to try constructing an Irish bank also...it's starting to sound like the Epcot cross country course.

Found Denny's Rolex keyhole. Looks like it really required ducking...and nerves of steel
    Last edited by Lucyjane; Jan. 7, 2010 at 08:40 PM.

Just thought I would post the finished jump... When the weather is better we will probably build a flower box or plant a hedge in front of the picture frame jump to make it more ascending. Bad part is that its too wet and muddy to jump it.... hurry up spring

Hopefully the image links will show up.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._8296167_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...3_949423_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs169...._8141027_n.jpg

NWEC has one on Prelim and Intermediate--right after the water. There's a partial keyhole at Inavale.