The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Update - Anyone have chaps by HORSEMEN'S LTD? Best half-chaps - (not Ariat)

Update - my local tack shop recommended Randy with HORSEMEN'S LTD in Rehoboth MA for nice custom chaps - any New Englanders use him before? A call to Journeyman and trip to Dover are also on the agenda

I've gone through two pairs of Ariat half chaps in two years, and the zipper busted on mine last night. I could just get the zipper replaced but I've worn holes in them too.

So no more Ariats.

What is the best high quality half chap? I like them really fitted, and the spanish-type top (doesn't have to go really high, but just not straight across the whole way around). My husband keeps saying I can get awesome customs for $150 - but I tell him maybe only where HE'S from!
    Last edited by LDavis104; Jan. 8, 2010 at 07:34 AM.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I really like the treadstep half chaps.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Another vote for the Tredsteps-I love my Deluxes. If they didn't have the zipper down the side, I would say they almost look better than my tall boots haha. Anyway, I've had mine for just around 6 months and abuse them, but they still look great.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

I love my Tredsteps, but I really love my Grand Prix chaps. They're decadent (unfortunately they're a tad too big these days)
    My daughters both have Prochaps and they're great.
    Y'all ain't right!

Love my Grand Prixs too...

The grand prixs are lovely, but I find the patch in the middle of the calf is the first to start ripping. My vote is for Tredsteps! They have some great models.

"ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Ok used to be a tredstep fan. Me and one friend were the tredstep trendsetters at our barn. They looked so nice, my trainer even let me wear them in A rated jumpers while I was breaking in my tall boots. But the leather really isn't all that. Mine are falling apart (it has been 3 years).

She recently bought Riding Sport Leather Contrast Half Chaps and goodness! They are fabulous!!!! Zipper is covered by a flap unlike the Tredstep's so you do lose a bit of the sleekness but I like having that zipper hidden. Only one snap and it doesn't get stuck like Tredstep. The leather is simply fabulous, far better than Tredstep. She got them for $70 but they sell for $170 in Dover (whish it was SmartPak). The black does have a small stripe of green piping (I know) but after you oil them you really can't tell it's there. The brown have a lighter brown piping. They make the piping stand out for the photographs but it looks nothing that obvious in person.
    Has anyone else used these? I plan on abandoning my Tredsteps for them soon
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1262877224

I love tredsteps, they look great and hold up very nicely.
    -Ultimate Prize-
    -Newcastle-
    -Limo-
    -MacIntosh-

I have a pair of Lg brown Ariat 1/2 chaps, used 3 or 4 times, you are Welcome to have them. The zippers are a pain in the.......

Default Treadsteps

I had the Ariats before, but they are so thick under your calf. The Treadsteps fut much better

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    She recently bought Riding Sport Leather Contrast Half Chaps and goodness! They are fabulous!!!! Zipper is covered by a flap unlike the Tredstep's so you do lose a bit of the sleekness but I like having that zipper hidden. Only one snap and it doesn't get stuck like Tredstep. The leather is simply fabulous, far better than Tredstep. She got them for $70 but they sell for $170 in Dover (whish it was SmartPak). The black does have a small stripe of green piping (I know) but after you oil them you really can't tell it's there. The brown have a lighter brown piping. They make the piping stand out for the photographs but it looks nothing that obvious in person.
    Has anyone else used these? I plan on abandoning my Tredsteps for them soon
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1262877224
    I have these...they REALLY have not held up very well. The elastic piece has completely stretched out after only 2 years of 3X/week riding. As soon as my new customs come in, these will go to the bottom of my trunk as emergency back-ups only. Two thumbs down.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

Quote Originally Posted by BABYGREENTB View Post
    I have these...they REALLY have not held up very well. The elastic piece has completely stretched out after only 2 years of 3X/week riding. As soon as my new customs come in, these will go to the bottom of my trunk as emergency back-ups only. Two thumbs down.
    That's a shame. Of course my tredsteps have done the same, the elastic panel on the back is a complete mess. I thought at least the leather on them looked nicer, but was scared someone would say something bad about them. I mean I do want to know, thanks for the review on them! How much/where are you getting customs from?

I had the Dover riding sport chaps before and they stretched like CRAZY - i had them taken in once and they stretched again. They're my back-ups now and I prob won't get riding sport chaps again. They got holes too

BabyGreen if you could tell me about your customs... I dont mind spending more I just didn't want to pay over like $250.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Another plug for they D'yon half chaps here!

I used to have only Ariat, and every pair I had either broke or stretched out to the point I couldn't even wear them anymore. Bought they D'yon's at the Royal this year on the advice of some of the COTH'ers and so far, so good. They have the back zip, and were tall enough for me (why I originally bought them) although they are quite expensive but I think they're worth it. I'm hoping they hold up well, but IMO anything will hold up better than Ariat!

I love my Tredsteps! They were one of the few (non-custom) brands that came with a small calf size and a tall height- they fit the same way my custom tall boots do. I've had mine for three or four years and the elastic things on the bottom gave out but other than that they've held up great!
    "It's about the horse and that's it" - George Morris

I really really do not see myself buying Tredsteps again, I do not like the way they have worn even though everyone loves them. I used to love them, suggested them to all my friends, but I hate the leather and the way the back panel is all stretched out.

I don't like Grand Prix either or Ariat. Not a whole lot left after that I'm way too picky. Thought those Riding sport contrast would be nice but apparently they aren't either! bah humbug half chap shopping is no fun.

I like my tredsteps with the zipper on the outside. Have had them for over two years and some of the stitching is coming undone but the zipper and snaps are fine.

My favorite pair of all time were Rectiligne (sp?) but they're hard to find. Nice soft leather and lasted forever.

Am also a fan of the Grand Prix half chaps.

In general, I try to avoid chaps that zip in the back - these seem to break much faster than the ones that zip on the outside.

i've just started riding in a pair of treadsteps that zip up the back.. so far so good! but they aren't even really 'broken in' yet so we'll see how they hold up.

i also love my $40 pair of dublin suede chaps that have just died after about 4 or 5 years of hard use, though i'm still keeping them to wear as backups in really muddy conditions. those things are AWESOME, they fit well, are comfortable, the zipper never gave me any issues, and they wear like iron. don't knock 'em till you try 'em.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I'm getting Dyon half chaps when my current GP ones wear out. My coach has them, and rides a lot and they still look brand new!