The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do bulk grain feeders save money?

Im thinking about getting a bulk grain gravity feeder. ANyone have one that is affordable to buy? How many horses should you have to make it worth it? How often do you fill it? I guess you have to find a local mill to provide bulk grain? Does it save any $$?

My BO/trainer has one. She buys her grain at the feed mill by the ton and has about 30 to 40 horses at any time. I'm not privy to her cost breakdown but once you find a feed mill that will deliver I am sure they will be happy to quote you the bulk vs bagged price, delivery etc.. Works out great if all your horses are on the same diet.

Another barn with more horses did not use one, they used bagged feeds and had to pay for trash service and the extra time for the barn workers to handle the bags vs the cost of the unit.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'd be curious to know the breakdown of how many horses fed and pounds used to make it worthwhile. I'd be worrying about mold too if the grain wasn't used fast enough.

We just built a new barn, and looked into, but in the end decided it wasn't worth it. Some cost savings, but not enough to justify the bin and the upkeep. We have 39 stalls, most horses on on BS Sport so we would have had the pellets in the bin

Can't.imagine.life.without.the.bulk.feeder.

I have a handy hubby so we went the cheap way. Took a trip to Arkansas and bought a used 4 ton feeder from a defunct chicken house. It was $300 and $35 for the augur and motor. Cement was $270 and that made the feeder pad and an indoor wash stall.

We were spending about $30 a month in fuel picking up feed and had to unload it, stack sacks and get rid of them. The feed savings is about $80-90 a month for 15 horses.

Convenience.....you bet! When the feed truck comes all we have to do is pull the string for the lid on the top. A switch in the feed room augurs the feed into a cart, no mess.

I will have an extra four or five saddle racks for tack storage in the space where the feed sacks used to sit.