The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default VT farm sells horses to slaughter

Here's the news link:

http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=11773987

While this operation has been "shut down", the owners are still active (which is why this is in the news...).

Be vigilant when you sell your horse! These are tough times, but screen whomever is buying!

(I see this farm's truck on the road ALL the time, so seeing this story just turns my stomach...)

I just went on a "rescue" this AM. One meat guy was there yesterday and took a load. Another came while I was there. Another is scheduled for tonight. The buzzards are circling and the market sucks and there is no one to care for those horses I visited. You can not save them all. I am trying to get 4 out today. The rest are headed to a feed lot in a neighboring state. They are blind & crippled. But what can be done? The rescues are full. There is no market for horses on the cusp. And what they are doing is completely legal. BTW these horse went into peril when their elderly owner died suddenly with no plan in place to protect them.

I have puked twice today from it - it is a disgusting mess. Better they go to Canada then endure there another moment!!! Skinny shivering from cold, unhandled unvaccinated no coggins. Death = mercy for them
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

I'm with you, Woodland. It just sucks. I know of horses starving to death because we can't help seize them (no room!). And I had to tell another county we couldn't help, so they're sending those horses to auction (where they'll go to Mexico because they don't have Coggins tests).

It makes me ill. It makes me cry. And then I get blamed for not doing enough. Ugh!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    IThey are blind & crippled. But what can be done?
    Well, I believe it's illegal to ship horses that are blind and or unable to stand, even to slaughter? If the meat buyer is shipping 'illegaly' a call to law enforcement might be the first step?

Not being flip, but I AM curious to know why such laws are not enforced/violations reported?
    Eternal Earth-Bound Pets Independent Contractor.

All I want is to know WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKEN???

And if we say the "buyer of last resort" can't take them, then what???

G.

Then they should be destroyed there at the farm* - However, my MAIN concern was that as it seems to be the regular case in HS threads, it's easier to wring the hands and say, "I can't do anything" instead of being pro-active and supporting the few humane laws that ARE in place - but nooooooooo it's so much more preferable to bemoan the ultimate destination, instead of alerting the authorities about illegal practices.

*Preferable with a method where the carcasses CAN be used ie zoo meat.
    Eternal Earth-Bound Pets Independent Contractor.

All I want is to know WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKEN???

Speaking on behalf of zoos*--we don't want your crap. Unless it was relatively fat and healthy, and shot with a bullet or a bolt gun, and processed somewhere besides your backyard by someone who knows what they're doing. The tigers, lions, and other big cats are a lot rarer and harder to replace than horses. Not to mention harder to treat for illness. So unless the horse is in excellent condition and has had a 'feedlot' period for all meds to clear its system, not the ideal solution.

As I understand the problem here was they sold riding/private horses without Coggins? Which is a much more serious problem than the horses being sold to Canada. They didn't seem to be masquerading as a 'rescue', they own the horses legally, and as Guilherme said--if you forbid the buyers of last resort from taking them, what then? Ideally they could be sent for processing near where they live, but with no US plants, doesn't happen.

*Accredited zoos. I have no idea what standards, if any, the people crazy enough to keep big cats privately do. Yes, I am very dubious about private big-cat 'rescues' unless they are run by multimillionaires who can afford to have the right people on staff. And if I had foxhounds I would want the same rules--the horse is in good physical condition on destruction and has had time for all medications not certified as safe for slaughter animals to clear.