The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Waterproof Blankets

I have 8 horses and I need to keep purchases under $100 per horse. What would your suggestions be for waterproof & breathable blankets?

In the past I tried 600 denier sheets, they only stayed waterproof about 2 years. Saxon & Weatherbeeta brand

I just ordered 3 "Tough 1" brand 1200 denier blankets for my 3 horses that don't have a permanent stall.

Is there a huge difference in the waterproof-ability in the 600 to 1200 denier?

I'm located in central Georgia, so it never gets too cold. But we do have frequent rain and cold which is much harder then them then snow or cold.

Any suggestions? Remember they need to be under $100 a piece

Honestly I feel that there is no true waterproof blanket. Over time the blanket's properties end up wearing out or they never actually end up doing what they say they should. Typically I find that the more you spend, the better quality you get and a lot of the manufacturers that will guarantee their quality, so if it fails you can talk to them that it's the fabric itself that isn't lasting. If it rips due to normal wear and tear usually that is something they cannot guarantee. Sometimes they'll be able to help you out with replacement options if you talk to the right person and you are amicable.

One solution though is with the blankets whose properties last for a good long while is that every few months after you wash it or get it cleaned, spray a light coating of waterproof spray on it. I think this helps prolong the life of better blankets. You just have to be careful to not get this on parts of the blankets that will be in direct contact with the horses skin as this can sometimes create an allergic reaction.

Default Winter Blankets

I would try Schneider Saddlery. sstack.com

I have purchased many of their blankets over the years and still have most of them. I think that you will find the pricing to be agreeable too.

Keep in mind that the longer the horse is out in the rain the more likley it will begin to soak through anything.

Yep. I get that.

What is the name of the water proofing agent you are using to topdress your blankets? I'd be willing to give it a try on my older sheets.
    I'd love some of the Rambo's but really could build a small barn for what they would cost.
    We are currently trying to figure out the most cost effective way to mkae a 4 stall shelter. It will only be used in inclement weather so it doesn't need all the bells & whistles (especially since money is tight)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/81-1200D-Horse-Tu...item2a03c9e414

I've got 4 of these and if you hit a good day you can get them for around 70 bucks. They are realy well made and water PROOF! My horses are out 24/7 I've had them on 3 days straight without wetting through.