The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default buying & selling greenie

I'm not new to horses...but took a lot of time away from them. Am in the market to buy. I'm looking for tips/education on the current "language" of deals. Thanks

Let me be a little more specific...

Lease w/buy option: Do you settle on a price at the beginning of the lease or negotiate when you decide to buy?

Trials: No clue on how they work. Do you pay for the horse and then have a "return" policy or do you give a deposit and then buy if you want to keep it?

Rixeyville, VA

A lease w/buy option generally has the purchase price set and the purchase time period. It also has specific language about the buyer defaulting, the standard of care, and other requirements.

A trial is negotiable. I wouldn't allow one off my farm because of the risk of the horse getting injured in a new setting. However, others do allow trials. Like a lease option, it's all entirely negotiable and that includes the deposit/purchase price.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule

A lease/buy option sounds pretty sticky to me? What kinds of requirements, and how would the buyer default?

Iowa, USA

Here is a site that offers legal forms for all manner of equine transactions. Sure you have to pay, but it should be worth 25-50 bucks for the peace of mind that you and the seller are well covered by a solid agreement.
    IMO since you don't have experience with negotiating these agreements, it will be better than piecemeal info from COTH posters.