The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need help, weird scenario and need advice

This is purely a marketing question and need advise. I won't list any prices etc... so not trying to sell thru COTH but could use some help with this situation. I also just need to vent.

This year or actually I should say 2009 and now going into 2010 kinda sucks for me. I had more inquiries on my young stock than ever before and yes I priced very reasonably due to market and the fact that I did most of the vet work etc... myself and got good deals on stud fees so able to pass on those savings.....but man what a roller coaster (and by roller coaster I mean old dilapitated wooden one scaring the crap out of me). Several of my weanlings were essentially "bought" then new buyers got "cold" feet before contract signed. One weanling in particular was "sold" 3X but ended up like that until finally last Sunday. He will be going to his new home soon. Another did sell right away but it was from a very popular stallion and she was from his first foal crop. Now the others:
    Sport pony colt with excellent dressage movement and VERY reasonably priced...not even an inquiriy.
    Dressage bred colt that has jump lines and probably would make an excellent hunter due to flatter knee...2 inquiries only and since he is going to be one of those giants that take forever to mature, well he just ain't that pretty right now as a coming yearling, lol.
    Hunter/jumper bred was sold had an injury in pasture that thankfully wasn't serious and xrayed clean,but has a scar inside of hind leg (thankfully flat thin scar not too noticeable, but I said hunter market and well they like them flawless for the most part.

And lastly and here's the kicker and the one that makes me wonder why in the *ell am I doing this. I sold early on a beautiful dressage colt that was 2nd at FairHill Dressage class for foals of 2009. He has pretty nice sought after dressage blood and is as sweet as they come. Sold right after FairHill to a home in Canada but since he was afraid to transport and keep him his first year in such a cold climate, he asked to board here until spring. I agreed, he paid for 50% of the colt and was going to pay colt off in the next 3 months along with board and any other care colt may need. Well, he is 3 months behind so no more than the original 50% was ever paid. I kept in contact and got every excuse you can imagine. When I told him I was going to have to send him a default of contract notice yesterday he emailed me today stating he lost his job and isn't asking for money he spent so far on him back, but can no longer afford to buy him!

I had so many opportunities to show him to buyers over the last several months, didn't have him advertised and could of shown him at DAD but this person didn't want to and I felt it technically was his. My main question is, how do I now put this colt back on the market without it looking like there was something wrong with him? Should I remove his SOLD part off my website and if so how and what do I say about him being back up for sale? I'm afraid that this colt now is going to look like a risk to people and they won't want to pursue him. I actually had this happen 2years ago and I still have that colt now a coming 2yo. I think people just felt something was wrong with the colt and I didn't say why that other colt was back up for sale so maybe that's why?

Anyway, I know this is long winded and I mainly just need to vent since times are so very tough right now. I really don't know what to do and have 7 more babies coming this spring! I am thinking that this rough economy has won and I just need to throw in the towel and be done with it already.

That really does suck, but can't you just say why he is back on the market? Something like, "due to the economy/buyer's situation/etc this sale was not completed". As a buyer, I would understand something like that, especially in this day and age.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    That really does suck, but can't you just say why he is back on the market? Something like, "due to the economy/buyer's situation/etc this sale was not completed". As a buyer, I would understand something like that, especially in this day and age.
    Yea I guess that sounds pretty good and doesn't actually say he lost his job which is a personal issue. I still think many might wonder why all of a sudden this colt's back up for sale. Maybe I will go ahead and put that at least on my website where he was listed as sold.

I feel your pain. I had a similar thing happen to me on the one "sold" had pre-purchase set up, shipper contacted and after 4 days of hearing this woman go on about how she had to have this foal she called with the "cold feet" story. Maybe it was the same person as she said she was cancelling a pre-purchase on another foal to buy mine instead!!!!!

I traded one pony for further training on another and ended up with them both back after 2 monrhs when the person said she couldn't afford to feed 2 more mouths as her other business was down.

So, I guess it's just the economic climate ?

I think there is also alot of tire kickers out there right now with nothing better to do than inquire and waste sellers time.
    Plus the market is flooded

My best one was a couple of days ago when someone emailed me on a filly and asked " Is she really grey? Did she really just miss premium with a 7.9? WTH does that mean. I don't know what color my own horse is or what she scored

Okay I'm rambling. I guess what I am trying to say is that you are not on your own .
    Your horses are lovely btw. Good Luck with them!

I agree. The economy affects us all, so I wouldn't regard the situation as "weird" at all. Lots of breeders hang onto youngstock, either with the idea of adding them to their breeding programs or waiting to sell until under saddle, then change their minds.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Thanks guys. I admit I mainly just needed to vent. This last one seemed like such a good home so was really shocked. But I agree also that there seems to be a lot of tire kickers. I have wasted so much time gathering info etc... to these prospective buyers that I am sure have no intention on buying. Very annoying to say the least. Do you think the market is flooded with the type of horses I breed or horses in general? I am serioously thinking of changing things here and could use advise. I currently have a couple broodies for sale but no bites at all on them. They are real nice too but can't give them away and don't want them to end up somewhere bad. I always put that I want first option to buy back which is why I have got a few that previously were sold. Ugh, does anyone see a light at the end of the tunnel for breeders or is this a good time to surrender and go back to the lab or maybe even teach some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    Ditto. I'd see no red flags at all, especially in the current market.

I'd just put something like "back on the market because buyer defaulted on payments", or "sold on payments, but buyer defaulted, again available for sale", or something like that. If you have one of those websites which lists the buyers ("congratulations John Smith!") I'd take his name off, just so he doesn't feel/look bad.

For what it's worth, I sold a youngster on payments this year, the first time I've ever done something like that. I think the economy has forced us to be a little more open-minded about our sales, and maybe think a little more outside the box.
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.