The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Heat lamps in run-in sheds

A neighbor has multiple pastures with pasture boarded horses. Each pasture has a run-in shed and now that it's dark when I'm driving home from work, I see the sheds glowing "red" with the horses all standing inside their run-ins under the lights.

They are tall run-ins and the horses all seem to love standing under the lamps - not to mention, it sure makes for a pretty view to see the glowing red lights in the pastures over the horses.

Just wanted to pass along the idea for anyone else that has worried about the night temperatures for field boarded horses.

My horses are kept in the barn at night, but if I didn't have that option, then I think that I would want to pursue the heat lamp idea.

I could see doing this for a newborn foal or a horse that was very ill or otherwise needing to be "heated" in very extreme temperatures, but what a colossal waste of electricity.
    Click here before you buy.

Looking at the temperatures back east, I'm planning on having one of those for the wash rack/grooming stall!
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

LOL Delta...most of my horse expenses are wasteful...

I will say the horses sure seem to enjoy it in these pastures. Every one of them are out of the pasture and in their run-ins with the red lights reflecting off their bums.

While I appreciate your "green" view - I also value keeping my horses as comfy and happy as possible. That's not to say that they would be uncomfortable or unhappy without the heat lamps, but rather they seem really happy and content with them on radiating off their backs.

Yep, if I didn't have an insulated barn to tuck my boys in, with their heated waterers, and their freshly laundered blankets, with free choice hay...(all wasteful)

...then I sure would waste that energy on heat lamps for their run in sheds.

There are always multiple views on what's best for our beasts - That's what I love about this board.

Default Hay

SpringOak said: "LOL Delta...most of my horse expenses are wasteful..."

Arh, arh! Yes indeedy!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Barn cats serve the function very nicely, too, of warming horse bums. Each of my blanketed horses sports a different barn cat on any given day, perched right on the flattest, widest part of their butts. Since the Shetland typically has about 4" of snow on her back (talk about INSULATION!) the kitties ignore her.

There's wasteful, and then there's needlessly wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringOakFarm View Post
    While I appreciate your "green" view - I also value keeping my horses as comfy and happy as possible.

Yep, if I didn't have an insulated barn to tuck my boys in, with their heated waterers, and their freshly laundered blankets, with free choice hay...(all wasteful)

...then I sure would waste that energy on heat lamps for their run in sheds.
    Then why do you live where it gets cold enough to need all these things? If the horses' comfort is the most important thing, that is. Cut out the middleman!

Delta - I love it! Cat rescues could start to market their kitties as "equine bum warmers" - imprint them from birth to lay on the backs of blanketed horses in the winter.

Horse owners would pay hundreds of dollars for specially trained, butt warming, barn cats. Only, then we would also have to buy special blankets for our horses with fleece inserts on the bum so that the cats would also have a soft sleeping spot while perched on the backs of our horses.

Sounds like a marketing plan to me!

LOL

Just have to find a way of keeping them from spitting up hairballs on top of your horse.

Id worry about a bad storm that takes out the electricity. They'd have to learn to stay warm under the worst conditions. And dont they lose out on excercise when they huddle

agree with deltawave and chall. A waste of energy for outside horses. If you have clipped horses or horses who can't handle the cold, they should have enough blankets or be inside anyway.
    I worked at a barn that went WAY overboard. She had 2-3 clipped horses, that were understandably loaded with blankets and neckcovers, but even the unclipped furry ones had at least 2 blankets on. THEN there was a heat lamp in each stall, over the bucket that was also heated, and the barn locked up tight at night. This was when it was a little below 20 degrees, but the ammonia smell knocked me over the morning, and my horse started coughing. I also lived in an apartment in the barn, and I was terrified the barn would burn down in the middle of the night. As there were cobwebs everywhere up where I couldn't reach, and the wood in the barn was old, with the hay and shavings IN the barn, it would have gone up in about 2 seconds.

I would worry about the fire risk too. Heat lamps are just downright scary. I don't think I slept the one year we had a late hatch of chicks and an early spell of super cold weather. I was a nervous wreck.

I like the idea of kitteh equine bum warmers!!!!!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

What a waste of money and resources!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Barn cats serve the function very nicely, too, of warming horse bums. Each of my blanketed horses sports a different barn cat on any given day, perched right on the flattest, widest part of their butts. Since the Shetland typically has about 4" of snow on her back (talk about INSULATION!) the kitties ignore her.

There's wasteful, and then there's needlessly wasteful.
    Pictures please!!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

SIX heat lamps = ONE trough heater

I use them for cold foalings, but I would worry in a barn without supervision. I also won't leave a trough heater plugged into a barn. That is a LOT of current x how many?!?!

I have an infrared heater in my run-in. My horse doesn't value it at all and only stands under it to eat the hay (which I feed right there). Nonetheless, it makes me feel better.

I wonder if they make solar powered heat lamps. Those would be excellent for pasture use.

Doubt it. Takes a whale of a lot of juice to make heat, whereas light is not as difficult.

Hey Delta - Another marketing idea for us...

Rechargeable warming blankets for horses...they could have a rechargeable battery pack that you plug in during the day and then you turn the switch on after you unplug it from the charging unit.... it could have warming lines throughout it...like a mobile electric blanket for horses.

Think about how toasty warm they would be in their warming blankets, under heat lamps...aaahhhh.....

Just as my neighbors who keep their house at 75 can't understand how I can be comfortable in a 60 degree house...

So my neighbor who keeps her horse clipped, bundled up indoors and blanketed heavily when it's less than 40 can't understand how my other neighbor's shaggy draft crosses can manage to be perfectly fine without any blanket outdoors when it's 10 (trust me, I spend time with him, and he has never once shivered or shown any signs of discomfort)!