The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stubben Biomex Saddles

Is anyone familiar with these saddles? I am investigating for a friend, who was recently diagnosed with a herniated disc. They were created to reduce the rider's back pain, I'm just wondering if they are really effective.

i havent sat in it, but i saw one @ the farm house that was used ilf you wanted to try it. =D

duh..
    www.farmhousetack.com
    864-457-3557
    im sure its on there website if it's in the store.

Can you trade in saddles at the Dover store?

I love my stubben eidelweiss, but would love one of the biomex much more due to my scoliosis.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by shoponee70 View Post
    duh..
    www.farmhousetack.com
    864-457-3557
    im sure its on there website if it's in the store.
    We are not close enough to drop in, fortunately. As it is I spend enough money there, I would be broke if I actually lived within driving distance.

well.. you know they ship anywhere.. and if she hated it you could just ship it back for a full refund minus shipping... shrug.. if it was me i'd be all over trying it out.. but then again.. i also was riding 2 weeks after i fractured my pelvis when i was a kid.. and am now feeling the repercussions of my indiscretions!! haha!! oh well.. we are a crazy breed of human us horse lovers. =)

You're right, Farmhouse does have one but its too small. Dover also has demos available, as soon as she gets the OK from the dr. she will probably try one.

My daughter had an Antares saddle.. when she outgrew that she got a Stubben Biomex and loved it from the minute she sat in it. The Stubben dealer actually came to the barn and did a fitting for the saddle with both my daughters horses and her. For less than the price of the saddles in Dover we got the saddle, two custom pads, and the stirrup leathers. Could have been because they were just being introduced but I was happy and the daughter was happy. I'd give Stubben a call and see what they can do for you.

This is the saddle that she got but she got it in the tobacco color:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=420974755

If there isn't a dealer close enough then this works to try a saddle:

http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/stu09BiomexDemo.html

Quote Originally Posted by LeeB10 View Post
    If there isn't a dealer close enough then this works to try a saddle:

http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/stu09BiomexDemo.html
    Thanks so much for this link, I just emailed it to my friend and our trainer. Contacting Stubben is a better idea than getting a Dover demo, since she is tall and long legged, not an easy fit.

No problem. The Biomex are not just for older riders either. Occasionally my daughter would go thru growth spurts and her old saddle would make her hips hurt - she doesn't have that problem with this saddle and it fits the horses well.

sweet!! that ought to be perfect for your friend bac. awesome that stubbens doing demos on them to keep up w/ the times. =D

I am one of those older riders. I purchased a Stubben genesis CS biomex saddle early last summer. I didn't have a diagnosed back problem, but did suffer back pain after jumping/cantering. With the biomex saddle, my back pain is gone. Because already knew which size I needed, I was able to buy it through a tack store in England (that also has a website) to pay significantly less based on the exchange rate at the time.

I have a Roxanne S Deluxe with the Biomex and I love it! I've always liked Stubben saddles, but couldn't deal with their rock-hard seats (makes my seat bones hurt, plus I have some back issues which makes the Biomex even more helpful).

I got an email from Stubben a little while back saying that you can try one of their saddles with the Biomex to see if you like it before buying-- here's the page with more info on it on their website.

When calling, have your friend ask for Buddy-- he's great!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

One of my friends has a Stubben Edelweiss w/ biomex seat that she absolutely loves for her back. It's her baby. hahaha. I've ridden in it a few times, and I love it! I can't say much for the back pain relief though because my back only hurts in 2-point, and obviously the Biomex can't help that. lol.

When I was trying saddles I almost ordered one from VTOsaddlery. I ended up finding a saddle before I got it(also got this saddle from VTO). I would highly recommend them. They were very helpful, and by far my favorite place I tried saddles from. Plus they will ship you a saddle for only like $4.99!

I haven't actually ridden in one, but I've sat in a couple and hated the first one I sat in (can't recall if it was the Edelweiss or the Roxanne). I was sitting in the same size saddle as what I ride in, and it was so uncomfortable. It was like the seat itself felt really narrow or something...so weird. Then just last week, I tried sitting in the Genesis and I really liked it. It seemed very comfortable, not as narrow, and pretty cushy. I'm considering trying one because of my back pain as well, but it all depends upon whether or not it fits my horse.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

The Biomex can take a little getting used (try working without stirrups at least at the walk at first though as it'll help with that)!

As for size, I can generally fit into a 17" - 17 1/2" saddle (my dressage is 18" though due to the way it's built) but I went ahead and got an 18" thinking the Biomex may be a bit better in that slightly larger size (fits me fine elsewhere too) so maybe when you try one, to go up 1/2" or something
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.