The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 'Owners-trainers' thread got me thinking -- anyone know Va. breeder "Springridge" ?

Just passing yet *another* cold windy nearly-unride-able day on the 'net, and the recent 'would owners be interested to hear from my horse' thread got me thinking.
    With darling Cammie's help, I id'ed the latest addition to Hunter's Rest -- Tiverton and found his breeding and race record and breeder. He was bred by "Springridge" here in Virginia.
    I meant to, but never followed up with trying to find out who that is and if they're still in business, etc.
    This is an older teenaged horse, but still, what fun to connect the dots, and I know that *I* would be thrilled, as breeder, to hear how excellent the horse is doing nearly 2 decades later.
    Anyone know "Springridge"?
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I want to meet Tiverton next time I come out!

Springridge never registered with the Virginia Thoroughbred Association, and neither Tiverton nor his dam show up on their database.

I don't know if you contacted the people in his race record, but his most recent trainer in 1997 was Curtis Beale Payne. He runs horses at Colonial Downs, Charlestown and Delaware Park. Tiverton was owned by Richard O'Connell in 1997- maybe the trainer can put you in touch with him to find out how/where he picked up Tiverton.

He only ran once that year at the Fairgrounds in LA, and placed.

In 1996 he ran 11 times all up in New York- Belmont, Aqueduct and Saratoga......placed once.

He also has a half-brother standing in Michigan- Valid Trefaire.
    http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/sta...=validtrefaire
    Last edited by Cammie; Jan. 5, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

Will you marry me, Cammie? : o )
    The horse is shown in the cover photo -- in the very center of the pack -- of the December Virginia Horse Journal, which shows the 'master' and field of the Junior North American Field Hunter Championships -- dark bay with white star and snip; kid with a jockey skull cap/black silk cover, dark blue jacket.
    He's a dream.
    And I know "Woodberry" Payne well - I had no idea he'd trained the horse. I'll find his email/## and ask all about him!
    Last edited by Hunter's Rest; Jan. 5, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Marriage?? Why, I'd be honored! But we'll have to put off the nuptials until the spring. I'm horrified by the arctic cold spell you all are having in Virginia right now! I'll stay here in nice warm California for now, thank you very much.

I looked at the cover of the magazine- great shot. Let us know if the trainer remembers him and can give you more info on where he came from.