The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pregnant Mares and Colic Surgery

I'm hoping Cothers can give me some positive accounts. My horse that I have owned since she was a baby went into the hospital Monday night and had 7 feet removed from her small intestine which was strangled by a rent in her omentum.
    She is doing well now and should come home tomorrow.

Her baby checked fine before and after surgery and she is now on regumate. I just need some positive stories because this has been horribly stressful. Thanks in advance.

I had a client who's mare had to have colic surgery when she was about 9 months pregnant. I know she was extremely stressed out because the foal & the mare were already sold.
    But a few months after surgery mom delivered a healthy filly with no complications.

Jingle for a speedy recovery for mom & a healthy foal!!!

I "think" Blazing Colours had that problem with one of her mares a couple of years ago and if I remember well, mare and baby came out ok.

A lady that boarded at the same barn as me had this happen to her mare when the mare was 5 months pregnant. Both mare and foal turned out fine. In their case it was especially funny/interesting because they didn't know the mare was in foal until 2 months after the surgery when the mare wouldn't lose weight. You would think they'd have noticed she was pregnant while they were doing surgery but they didn't.

I also known someone who had a mare go through colic surgery when she was quite far along in her pregnancy. Mom and baby were fine and the foal grew up to be healthy and happy. Jingles for your mare!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

My mare had colic surgery when she was in foal. She not only delivered a healthy foal but lived to be 32. I still miss that mare
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

1 members found this post helpful.

Those are really encouraging stories! Jingling for your mare and foal.

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

Jingling also from Montana! I can't imagine how stressful this must be for you!!! Isn't COTH a great support system???

Yup had a mare go through surgery at 9months. Surgeon was brillant and can't even find a scar on her belly.

She did wear a "corset" until she foaled which she didn't mind but I would have made some adjustments to it so fit better. But overall really helped her out I think.

P.

Yes. Jingling for your mare and baby. I have had mares colic while pregnant but not to the point of having to have surgery.

I wish you all the best.

Chris
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Thanks so much! So far so good. Mom feels great and she was reultrasounded on Friday and baby still has a strong heartbeat. Mom is really tough mare so I'm hoping that baby has gotten some of that. The baby was at 105 days when this happened.

Best of luck for a happy and healthy mama and baby.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Glad to hear the mare is doing well. I had a mare 5 months in foal to Indoctro undergo colic surgery. There were no issues and the foal survived.
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Gift Hill Farm

I've been an anesthesia tech for one or another of the equine hospitals in Lexington for over 10 yrs. We do colic surgery routinely on preggo mares. Honestly, the pregnancy is very rarely a post-op concern. Keep going with the Regu-mate for now, but baby should come through with flying colors!

Jingles for Momma (I know you still have a few fingers crossed right now), and especially for you! Sometimes, I think the entire experience is worse for the humans than it is for the ponies!

If I can help answer any questions, feel free to PM me. I know I don't know your exact circumstances (and I am not questioning your veterinary care at all), but sometimes it can be easier to not bother those more involved.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jingles for your mare. I know of an older broodmare last year who had TWO colic surgeries, pulled through and had a very healthy foal. She has since been retired since she was older, so it certainly can be done without an issue to the baby.

No experience, but JINGLES!!!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Thank you so much for these stories. I feel a bit better each day. Hony is happily at home and is acting like nothing happened.
    I think she was more concerned that the vets were going to starve her to death than anything lol.

Here are some pics from the clinic:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...5347768&type=3

My 6 yo maiden broodmare, who is at 7 months gestation, colicked today. She was in really bad shape and my vet sent her to New Bolton, as she could not get my mare comfortable. The foal was fine and active via ultrasound, and they determined that she had a problem with her small intestine.

I went ahead and told them to do the surgery, and if there was dead bowel, to put her down on the table. The vets found a small intestine volvulus and were able to correct it without doing a resection. The mare and foal survived the surgery and they have put her on Lidocaine, Regumate, Banamine, IV fluids and are worried about reflux.

I don't understand the reflux part and I was hoping you all could educate me. I didn't know what to do when faced with the choice of surgery or putting her down. I opted for surgery, even though I can't really afford it at this time. Is reflux a common problem post op and is it more common in pregnant mares? Or did reflux cause the colic?

Any info or suggestions would be welcome. This mare is a really sweet TB mare and I just want to do right by her. Thank you very much for your help.

No real insight into your questions but many jingles for all three of you.

Zuri, reflux is a symptom of colic, not a cause. If there is reflux when a gastric tube is placed, it indicates the stomach contents are not moving properly through the intestine most likely due to a twist or blockage. In your case, the volvulus was creating the back-up.

If your mare continues to reflux post surgery it means that proper motility hasn't been restored in her intestine. it's a common concern for post op colics, pregnant or not.

Wishing your mare a successful recovery!

2 members found this post helpful.