The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question TB peeps--what do we have here?--Update

First, I know this topic as been around before, but breeding isn't my "thing" and there is so much info I can't remember it all.

My trainer has just got a new TB mare. She was really taken by her movement and general appearance. Mare is only 3 so just broken basically. Trainer is a dressage rider so this is a sport horse prospect, no breeding planned.

We're just curious how this mare looks on paper for dressage/sport:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/onesingleyesterday

Thanks to anyone who contributes!
    Last edited by RatWrangler; Dec. 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: update

I love her on paper

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, it was her pic that caught my trainer's eye--she's very sturdy and short-coupled, not the long rangy thoroughbred type at all. She's also described as being very sensible and willing to work.

I love seeing Talc in a pedigree. He and Rock Talk are known movement contributors.

It's no surprise she's a nice mover; every single horse from her fourth generation forward is known for producing good movers.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Gimme

She's a knockout, huh? Especially for a 3-year-old. Love her bloodlines, too. AP Indy and Danzig up close <3

(incidentally, I love the lanky TB type, but I'm drooling over this sturdy critter)

2 members found this post helpful.

On paper, 2 thumbs up.

In the picture, vet the front pasterns and feet carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blood Bay Mare View Post
    Gimme

She's a knockout, huh? Especially for a 3-year-old. Love her bloodlines, too. AP Indy and Danzig up close <3

(incidentally, I love the lanky TB type, but I'm drooling over this sturdy critter)
    Isn't she nice? I saw a video of her working, and she has super nice balance for green-as-grass youngster.
    Last edited by RatWrangler; Nov. 20, 2016 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csaper58 View Post
    On paper, 2 thumbs up.

In the picture, vet the front pasterns and feet carefully.
    I'm curious, what are you seeing? I tried to enlarge the pic but it just got blurrier lol. I could mayyyybe see a little filling in the right pastern?

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

With Nasrullah, Secretariat, Northern Dancer and Rajah Baba she should have a really good shot as a dressage performer--if her head is into it!!! Attitude counts for a lot.

At three I wouldn't be pushing her yet. She may look mature but if you push too fast, too soon, you could make her sour--light riding, but not a lot of ring work for a year, or two, at which time her mind should be more fully in the game.

About the front pasterns and feet--I had a Northern Dancer great granddaughter who had longish pasterns, never seemed to bother her but then I never rode her into the ground either. I might x-ray the feet to check for clubbiness but, depending on her price tag, I wouldn't go crazy with the x-rays--you'll get your answer when you put her in full training.

I know you say there may be no interest in breeding but I would have the vet do a breeding soundness evaluation, check for anomalies. Sometimes things happen we can't anticipate and it would be good to have a baseline for comparison--for future reference.

Nice lookin' mare! Best of luck...
    Last edited by Cherry; Nov. 20, 2016 at 02:43 AM.
    "We want to raise our children so that they can take a sense of pleasure in both their own heritage and the diversity of others." ~Mr. (Fred) Rogers~

Love the comments so far, would also love to hear from vineyridge too

OMG! My trainer has your girl's half sister on her farm!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/talented+treasure

She is in her lesson string. Can't speak as a dressage prospect as it is a H/J facility, but she is one of my personal favorite rides with The. Best. Mind! Super smart, scopey, and more heart than just about anything I've ever sat on. She can jump around the "big" ring with the more advanced students and then turn right around and babysit the little ones over poles and crossrails. We also use her for our IEA program and is a favorite in our region - took her to Zones last year and she qualified every single kid that drew her for nationals.

So, I'm a bit of a fan

Would love to see pics of your girl.
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by AllisonWunderlund View Post
    OMG! My trainer has your girl's half sister on her farm!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/talented+treasure

She is in her lesson string. Can't speak as a dressage prospect as it is a H/J facility, but she is one of my personal favorite rides with The. Best. Mind! Super smart, scopey, and more heart than just about anything I've ever sat on. She can jump around the "big" ring with the more advanced students and then turn right around and babysit the little ones over poles and crossrails. We also use her for our IEA program and is a favorite in our region - took her to Zones last year and she qualified every single kid that drew her for nationals.

So, I'm a bit of a fan

Would love to see pics of your girl.
    Wow,that's neat! Mare actually belongs to my trainer, she rolled in with the shipper just before midnight last night so I haven't seen her in person yet.

There's a little pic on top of her pedigree that you can click on, I'll try to update later with pics once she starts in work.

I saw her on the website and she is a knockout. Good luck with her.

Cute mare (now nicknamed "Brooke") is settling in at trainer's farm. She seems quite sensible as nothing seems to spook or disturb her, but she is very insecure--turns her back to you when you go into her stall and was instantly attached to the mare in the next stall. Lots of attention and treats are changing the stall behavior already

Curious thing--vet was out when I was there and trainer had him look at mare's hind feet, as she appeared to have a serious case of scratches. (Being treated.) Turns out it was not scratches, but some kind of physical trauma to the skin, there was so much dead tissue he was actually able to trim some off

My guess was rope burns, but vet said he's seen racehorses who kick in their stall have a horseshoe put on their pastern like a bracelet, and it could have been caused by that. Skin underneath looks healthy but he's not sure the hair will ever grow back.

Just for fun I plan to keep this thread updated periodically as she goes into training,

Please do keep us updated!

Interesting about her hinds... weird
    Traumpferde Farm
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
    Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm