The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are your 2011 babies doing?

I feel like the 2011 youngsters have been left out of the current threads so I figured I would start a thread to see what everybody is up to with their 3 year olds. Mine is not up to much at the present time because he was a late baby (August) and is still extremely immature looking so I am giving him more time to grow before I think of starting him undersaddle.

I joke that I have turned him into an "oversized dog" because he comes when called, loves getting brushed and going for walks, and has gotten to hang out in the arena and watch horses schooling over fences, in addition to horses practicing reining stops and spins (not at the same time...). He has been introduced to all tack, and has taken it all in stride and I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can put the first few rides on him which will hopefully happen later this spring or summer if he grows into himself.

I am hoping one day he will become a competitive jumper, but that is still a ways away the only goal for this year is some very basic flat work, but I am excited to feel what his gaits are going to be like as he has very powerful gaits.

What are your babies up to?

Mine is just being started(april baby). He's done with all his ground work and we will start getting on him next week. He's a big boy, already 17.0 1/2h, so I am going to take it slow with him. He's physically mature for his age and has wonderful self balance. He's mentally ready, and has been easy with the ground work. Mine's for sale, so I'm caught between all the buyers wanting him started and not doing too much too fast with him. I just want to get him doing basic flat work, that should be fine for his age and make buyers happy. He's going to start "visiting" other farms, and some of the local shows this spring too.
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM
    www.everafterfarmsporthorses.com

My June 2011 filly (Cantos x Indorado) is still currently living out in the fields in Holland. She will come in this spring and begin preparation for her keuring this July. The plan is to breed her (not sure yet to whom) and get her started under saddle before putting her back out in the fields.

Edited April 2014 as I wanted to add her most recent photo and her first attempt at freejumping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un4IE_DJW_A
    Last edited by mikali; Apr. 14, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Mine is a late March baby, but he still goes through some gangly growth spurts so I'm in noooo hurry to really get going. His head has grown again so I'm waiting to see what his body does to catch up. He's worn a bridle/saddle, we've done a teeny bit of "lunging" at the walk, and he'll definitely at least get to ground driving this Spring if nothing else.

He's my future Hunter and it gives me goosebumps watching him trot and canter in the field

My boy was a early march baby and has done all his ground work but I am waiting on the weather to break and hopefully dry up some before I actually get on him. He is going to finish out as a top of the line large pony, He is currently 13.3-1/2h at the shoulder and 14h and the hip. He finally looks like a pony instead of a baby. He is the perfect in your pocket personality and has taken everything in stride as far as his training goes. I will put 15 or so rides on him walk trot and then send him to the trainer to but some serious training and marketing for sale. He is going to make some kid a great friend. He has a horse mentality in a pony body and I wouldn't expect anything less from his father and he got 100% of his temperament. I will post pics once I have some new ones.
    Proud owner of Smoke's Ace 2003 APHA stallion
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!

My 2011 baby was sold last year, to an owner who will get much more out of her than I ever could... Baby is doing groundwork and getting ready to ride, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she does!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

awwww amastrike I didn't realize you'd sold her!

My boy is going good on the lunge line and I just introduced side reins last week. The vet came out yesterday to do dentals and clean his sheath. Good Lord his sheath was nasty! I have always owned mares so this was a new one for me.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Mine was backed in the fall then had the winter off. She is going into full training March 1st.

2 members found this post helpful.

Our Canturo x Ulysses m2s filly spent 30 days under saddle in the fall and is having off until June when she will resume her training at which time she will be prepped for her under saddle performance test.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

My 2011 paint pony gelding - should mature about 14.1-14.2 has been ridden a dozen times. As a yearling I did some ground driving and trail walks with him along with PB shows. So far we have w/t mainly with a few canter spurts in the arena, w/t out of the arena and been on walking trail rides with other horses across bridges, through streams, etc. We even walked up a bank jump the other day through a huge puddle on the back side of it and up the bank. He is a good boy, I've bee on him bareback and with just a halter.. he is going to be one heck of a kids horse as he grows. Planning to do lots of basic flatwork this year, maybe pole work etc, and hoping to take him to some local shows and do the hunter pleasure division with him (w/t/c) by the end of the year. He trailers, bathes, ties, cross ties, clips like a champ, and is also a big puppy dog..
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

Our 2011 crop is the best we've ever bred (4 of them). As with all our guys, they're running around being horses and enjoying the mud. Their only interaction with us is feeding, whatever movement between paddocks is needed, foot care, and vax (but they always come to the fence to be loved on). Megan put blankets on her fillies this year because of the extreme cold but I'm antiblanket so my boys had to tough it.

As with all our foal crops, they'll be brought in about June 1 for 90 days of training in our annual "Young Event Horse Challenge." Our students do crazy things with these babies - would you do this on a 3 year old with 90 days on it? http://youtu.be/R6QMaNKnwqE

We start our horses in their 3 year old summer, then turn them out until they begin serious training as 4 year olds. We believe more mature is beneficial to their long term utility and health.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've found a trainer to start mine in early April. I don't live in a good area for young horses, so I have others working with her. She's done some groundwork clinics, just had side reins introduced. I hope to have some updates in the coming months.

It sounds like there are some very nice 2011 youngsters that will be getting started this year

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    My 2011 baby was sold last year, to an owner who will get much more out of her than I ever could... Baby is doing groundwork and getting ready to ride, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she does!
    Last year we did a lot of ponying, a little bit of lunging, some groundwork, and went to two in-hand shows. Unfortunately, her behavior at the shows was not as good as it is at home, so we need to get out more. I also backed her four times and she was happy walking next to Tim (with or without a leadrope), but was reluctant to go away from him "on her own".

Today (60 degrees 8-) ), after a break of almost 4 months, I got on her again, and she happily walked up and down the driveway, with or without Tim. And she walked over some "jumps" (rails on the ground or at 6 inches, between standards) with Tim.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

My 2011 fillies have both been very lightly started. Ramora (Royal Prince x Davignon) was started in the fall, and is now enjoying a break. Rhea (Royal Prince x Tantris) just started under saddle work 2 weeks ago. I backed Rhea in the fall, but never did any kind of real work with her, other than pony rides, until now.

Now I have to make up my mind if I want to breed one or both of them or ride them and do the MPT this year or next year. Decisions, decisions!

My (only) 2011 model is by Schroeder o/o a Weltmeyer/Batido mare. She just sold a month or so ago to a young FEI dressage pro in OH. We're doing payments, so as soon as she is fully purchased, she'll be heading East to be started when her new owner thinks it's time ( filly will be 3 end of April).

If it can be done without pushing her excessively, she will be aimed towards the YHC for 5-6 yr olds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOqb...WVpbYMILxJUctg

Mine has just been growing and is about 16.2 at present and not fully 3 until the end of July. He is a sweetheart, but I'm not worrying about starting him until Spring of next year. He still looks like a very tall, unfinished colt so am waiting until he's closer to 4. He is Marvelous Moondance a/k/a Socks on my FB page (link in sig) and you can find his photos under albums. A Buckskin Georgian Grande.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Last year we did a lot of ponying, a little bit of lunging, some groundwork, and went to two in-hand shows. Unfortunately, her behavior at the shows was not as good as it is at home, so we need to get out more. I also backed her four times and she was happy walking next to Tim (with or without a leadrope), but was reluctant to go away from him "on her own".

Today (60 degrees 8-) ), after a break of almost 4 months, I got on her again, and she happily walked up and down the driveway, with or without Tim. And she walked over some "jumps" (rails on the ground or at 6 inches, between standards) with Tim.
    Awwww, she's daddy's little girl! Have you had any luck with mane pulling?
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Mine's enjoying growing up and just being a horse right now. She's been bridled and saddled a bunch of times and knows basic walk/trot/canter on the lunge. She's 16.1 and although a bit butt-high, she's fairly mature looking:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps6b07b7b7.png

She's scheduled to be started under saddle in June. I can't wait!