The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quarantine Prices: What is the norm?

I am wondering what is considered a 'normal' price for a daily quarantine rate at a vet clinic? The horses in question are both coming from Germany (1 mare, 1 gelding) and are riding horses. Do any of you know what other vet clinics are charging for the periods (up to 10 days for gelding with blood tests) and (21+ for the mare with 3 CEM swabs) or per day? I am in Canada but also interested in US pricing. Thanks in advance for any ballpark figures that you can give me

I just imported a mare in foal from Belgium into Calgary. It was around $2000 for the quarantine including the CEM testing.

the flights are more expensive into Canada (torronto), by about 2800$ (as the quarentine is longer, even for gelding).

To NY it is 2800$ for the flight and it just went up t 2450$ for the quarentine (the mandatory 2-3 day USDA one for all, foals, geldings etc)

Then additionally for a mare it is about 2000$ for the cem quarentine (10 days, approx) this can also be a little more, depending on who you use.

I just helped 2 sets of people in Canada, and it was cheaper to fly them into us, bottom line. (we are talking east coast vs torronto)
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut Farm View Post
    the flights are more expensive into Canada (torronto), by about 2800$ (as the quarentine is longer, even for gelding).

To NY it is 2800$ for the flight and it just went up t 2450$ for the quarentine (the mandatory 2-3 day USDA one for all, foals, geldings etc)
    That's interesting. I've always found the flights into Canada to be WAY cheaper than into the US, and Toronto was always the cheapest of anywhere, in the past. Maybe I've been missing the boat!

Could you share what importer is charging those rates? That is a fraction of what I just paid.

CEM quarantine for a mare, the last time I did it in the US, was $1900 (this was a couple of years ago).
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

There are 2 sets of quarantine. All horses, stallions, geldings, mares, whatever, have a 2-3 day stay at the port of entry. All get the same blood tests.

Geldings are then released, free to go.

Stallions and mares require further C.E.M testing. I did both at a veterinary clinic in Ohio. It was about $1200 (10 days) for the mare and $3800 for the stallion (32 days). It was an all-inclusive price, not "by the day".

Awesome service, very individualized care! They only take a couple at a time, so your horse gets tons of attention. The vet there did whatever I asked for exercise, turn-out, etc. etc. I drove down and picked up the stud myself, and was impressed with everything.

I think I have the vet clinics info around here. PM me.

All I have in front of me is an email address for the facility
    bascomhillfarm@yahoo.com