The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good lameness vets in northern CA?

Looking for good lameness vet in north bay area or perhaps over towards the Sacramento area?

You might get recommendations by posting at BAEN (Bay Area Equestrian Network) ...

http://members2.boardhost.com/baen/

Most folks will send you to either UC Davis or Pioneer Equine (further away from your North Bay location, though -- they're towards Modesto.)
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Jerry Black, Pioneer Equine.

Clearly.

I think they're in the mecca that is Oakdale.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Jerry Black, Pioneer Equine.

Clearly.

I think they're in the mecca that is Oakdale.
    Ditto. One of the best in the biz. Be prepared to wait to get an appointment.

Pioneer Equine, UCD, or Loomis Basin.

I'll add another vote for Pioneer. They're awesome.

For the hospital setting, definitely Pioneer and Dr. Black. Hands down, not even a question. For ANYTHING requiring more than your at home vet can do, I'd recommend Pioneer. I just adore them (and my endorsement means a three hour drive for me, so you can see how seriously I take it, LOL).

If you were looking for a vet to travel to you, and you are near Sonoma County, I would recommend John Kaufman or Grant Miller. Both very experienced with sport horses, and excellent eyes for lameness, with a lot of equipment at their disposal.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Default great info....thanks everyone!

and Phoenix I am about an hour north of you so Pioneer will be a four plus hour drive for me but I have heard nothing but good so far about them and especially Dr. Black. I may check on those Sonoma vets you mentioned first though to see if they can shed some light on what might be going on with my new mare. We have nice local vets up here but not terribly well versed in lameness issues and since they are mobile have very little in the way of good diagnostic equipment so I'm left with them eyeballing the problem and giving me their best guess.

Thanks again!

Ditto Pioneer in your area, and I think they do out calls as well.

Jerry Black at Pioneer Equine in Oakdale.

My mysteriously lame Percheron and I made many happy 7 hour round-trips to Oakdale to see "Uncle Dr. Jerry." Dr. Black has an amazing eye for the most subtle lameness. He'd watch my horse trot out and see things I did not know were there. The staff and facility are top-notch.

An excellent North Bay vet for lameness is Jamie Kerr. Very thorough.

I have found that hauling to Pioneer is worth every penny. It's a "one stop shop" and you get multiple eyes on your horse at once. There is no comparison with a field eval. Sometimes you start with the local vet and get somewhere, and sometimes you start with the local vet only to start all over at Pioneer. Often, it's just better use of your time and $$ to just go directly to Pioneer.

You would not be the first person to haul 4 hours to Pioneer.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFarm View Post
    For the hospital setting, definitely Pioneer and Dr. Black. Hands down, not even a question. For ANYTHING requiring more than your at home vet can do, I'd recommend Pioneer. I just adore them (and my endorsement means a three hour drive for me, so you can see how seriously I take it, LOL).

If you were looking for a vet to travel to you, and you are near Sonoma County, I would recommend John Kaufman or Grant Miller. Both very experienced with sport horses, and excellent eyes for lameness, with a lot of equipment at their disposal.
    It's so funny how people see things differently and have such different experiences. I will never take another horse to Pioneer again, and I just about sued John Kaufman for negligence on a pre-purchase he did.

I take everything to UC Davis. The ONLY non-biased place I can find, you know you won't get someone in the pocket of many of the trainers...

So who do you see at Davis for lameness? It seems to be a revolving door there.

Quote Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis View Post
    So who do you see at Davis for lameness? It seems to be a revolving door there.
    Yes that's the problem. I am pretty bummed that Dr. Bell is leaving, but there are a few good people there. I have found it's better to do a lot of research myself, then utilize the various vets and residents there. I'll never rely on vets alone, and certainly NEVER rely on one single opinion. Which is why I prefer Davis, I like the multitude of eyes and opinions as well as their open mindedness.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    You would not be the first person to haul 4 hours to Pioneer.
    Yep. My barn is 2 hours from Pioneer Equine yet they my entire barn's regular vet. The vet's are great and the new facility is amazing.

That is funny perfectpony, as I wouldn't take a horse to Davis unless you paid ME, LOL, or their condition wouldn't survive the extra hour to Pioneer. I'm just happy there are options so everyone can make the choices that work best for them! I remember back in the day there were like two local vets and Davis, and just about everyone was currently PO'd at two of the three, LOL.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com