The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default URGENTWellington Equestrian Festival - Average weekly cost? Exhibitor school on site?

So I am trying to take on of my horses down to Wellington.
    We have the trailer, good on that.
    What is the average weekly cost? We would be going for a month.
    Also, is there a school on site for the juniors?

Thank you so much for answering my questions! This is very important...!
    ~riding is life~

There are several other posts on this with recommendations on inexpensive options. If you are doing it on you own without a trainer, You MAY be able to board for $1000/month, weekly show fees depend (slightly above average rated show because of $250 nominating fee.. mine are around $1200/week/horse), hotel/lodging for yourself obviously depends on where you stay.

i would have a trainer, and no fee on lodging. i just want basic show!
    ~riding is life~

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

There are tutors available, but I don't *think* they have a regular school set up (like Education Station at HITS.) But my info is second hand (I don't have kids that show, just friends with kids that show, lol) so you may just want to call the show office an inquire.

I budget around $1500 per week for WEF, not including transportation. I imagine you can do it for less (braid your own, find cheaper hotels, etc) but that has been a good guide for the last few years for me.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

BTW, it's easy enough to figure out... you presumably have your trainer's rate sheet and can calculate the cost for day care, training, pro rides and so forth. If your horse shows in the hunters or eq, factor in braiding, then add the cost of whatever hotel you book, rental car if necessary, fees for your tutor (incl. transportation to and from the show) and money to eat and perhaps do a bit of shopping.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Private Tutoring Services (www.privatetutoringservices.com) is set up on the grounds this year. They have one if those "portable buildings" aka a trailer, right inside the exhibitor entrance to the WEF grounds. Check out the web site for details and contact info.

Its the Winter Equestrian Festival

Also, there is a school (the name is escaping me right now) that is right near the grounds (you'd need a car) that does mornings and is monday-thursday. They will definitely work with your schedule.

Carolyn Tribble's tutoring service has been on the grounds for many years. The same tutors and students return there year after year. They have a great track record together. PM me if you'd like her number.

There are several other services in the area that also cater to WEF juniors and the seasonal needs of others in the area such as the polo community.

If your training is taken care of, your trainer should be able to steer you in making the arrangements necessary for your horse. As far as entering the shows, the prize list can be found on the main WEF website:

http://www.equestriansport.com/

Try www.thetotaleducation.com. They are set up on the show grounds or come to your home or barn. She's less expensive than the other tutoring companies (I believe) and understands the demands of the student athlete.

If you need a phone number as well pm me.

Definitely agree with the Total Education-Holly was my English teacher in high school and she is fantastic.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

http://www.wellington-wef.com/

Forgot, there are several tutors available on their message boards. Might be worth a try.

Talking Tutor

http://www.thetotaleducation.com/

She has tutored my nephew for years...we got very positive feedback from his very strict private school on his work, and on working with her!