The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pictures of your homemade Round Bale Covers

Has anyone made a roof or round bale ring? I'd be interested to hear how you did it and if you have pictures. Seriously considering whipping something up and wonder what others do!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Hey Maria! I tried to cover mine one time. First and last time I ever fed round bales- haha! I actually bought tarps. Put round bales up on pallets in field. Tarped over the top and used bungee cords to hold the tarp on. It covered the top third of the bale.

Problem was.. when they'd eat the bale down- had to go out and remove the tarp right away so bungees didn't get loose and in legs- or keep tightening bungee daily. My guys ate through a bale/week (3h per field). In hindsight not the best way- but it did get me through a half-of-a-winter.

Now I feed large squares and just throw hay every morning. Would love to see/hear other ideas so I can try again.

Yeah I'm thinking of building something, wondered what people use. A friend has a low four sided shelter with a roof. I just think I'd save more money. Problem is I put two out at a time for my broodmares, so I'd really need to build two of them, though thinking money burned building in the end would save me! But I don't want something they can destroy and boy are they good at that, or something they can get caught up in. So wondering what others do when you don't want to spend 600.00 buying a round bale feeder.
    www.frostyoaks.com

I thought I would go that way too- build my own. But soon found out that to build something light enough for me to move around, but sturdy enough to hold up to the monsters, well.... lets just say it was challenging. Tractor Supply actually has a feeder for 139.99 that works well for me.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I am pondering the hockey net idea to slow their inhalation. I swear my big mare just sucks hay in, no chewing. But a real cover? They demo a round bale in 7-9 days so I don't need one. No time to rot. Sorry, I'm no help other than to say if you have 4+ horses, you don't (IMO) need a cover

i have a row of parrellel t posts and cattle panels bowed over the top and tarps held on with plastic ties, its cheap, you hve to fix it sometimes, you can pull up the t posts and move it
    i think if i had destructive horses this wouldn't work as well

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I am pondering the hockey net idea to slow their inhalation. I swear my big mare just sucks hay in, no chewing. But a real cover? They demo a round bale in 7-9 days so I don't need one. No time to rot. Sorry, I'm no help other than to say if you have 4+ horses, you don't (IMO) need a cover
    Still have the problem of mud and them laying and pooping in it. Quite a bit of waste still. My friend built one with a bottom and sides and a roof. She didn't need to move it around so that wasn't a problem. I'm not worried about them eating too much, I want them to eat, but I don't want it all pooped on and spread about.
    www.frostyoaks.com

hmmm. Are you using a feeder, or just putting it out there without a feeder? My four don't waste much with it in a feeder. And I set it on a big old pallet inside that feeder. YMMV

I want one of these- but it would be a witch to load from a hay spear- you'd need to be able to roll it into the holder. Not happenin' here LOL

http://www.oneillbalefeeders.com/

I built mine out of 4x4's and decking boards. It is permanent but I have not had a problem keeping it cleaned out. I set the two posts on the fence line and then two at 6' from those to make it square. Added decking boards on three sides up to the appropriate height (mini's on one side of fence and 16.2 hand gelding on the other). On the last side I built a gate that is removable to place the bale in the feeder. I used 4x4's that are tall enough that I can add a roof when I want to but for now I can just throw a tarp over the 4x4's and tie is down to the corners and they can still reach in to get to the hay as the tarp does not even touch the bale leaving about 2 1/2 feet of space between tarp and top board. I also put a pallet in the bottom to keep the bale off the ground.

They're not home built, but why not just get a big bale buddy? One person can put it on - just spear the bale, put on the bale buddy, plop it in the field and tip it upright with the bucket. They're relatively cheap and very safe. It doesn't solve the shelter issue, but I stick mine in my sheds.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Katherine, loved the alternate product on that web site (the plastic round bale feeder) called "Better than nothing Plastic Feeder". Now that's funny (and honest?)

I have this feeder and it is awesome! We call it our hay house!

http://www.duplessishorsefeeder.com/

a friend of mine has the better than nothing feeder and it works quite well. We are looking at solutions as well because filling hay bags is getting OLD quickly.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

This is what was made for our bales. I still need to get a decent bar system on it. They tend to drag it over the edges and spread it around. But other than that, it stays dry and gives them some wind/rain protection too. The horses love it.

I have been considering using round bales for a while, so this has been a great help. With hay at $10 a bale around here, I would love a round bale for the winter pasture.

One thing I did read in another thread that bears investigating was whether or not horses on round bales need botulism vaccines. Anyone here do that to their horses? What part of the country are you in?

I hope everyone is very careful about those round bale rings.....A dear friend of mine lost her mare to one!! She was probably leaning over it and must have pawed wanting to get the hay that had gotten lower (almost gone at that point).....flipped it over on herself, paniced, sliced herself to shreds and bled to death. Sorry to be so graphic, but everyone needs to know this can happen.
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    I hope everyone is very careful about those round bale rings.....A dear friend of mine lost her mare to one!! She was probably leaning over it and must have pawed wanting to get the hay that had gotten lower (almost gone at that point).....flipped it over on herself, paniced, sliced herself to shreds and bled to death. Sorry to be so graphic, but everyone needs to know this can happen.
    Oh my gosh. How horrible. Those things are so heavy, I can't even imagine my horse flipping it over. Scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

My vet tells me horses get bored and look for ways to kill themselves....I tend to agree. It honestly depends on the horses in the pasture....in 3 pastures I have round bale feeders in...and one I just suck it up and let them waste is because they aren't really smart and I am afraid they will jump in it or ?????. I do make sure I don't let them get to empty...or the horses will push on them, and move them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Oh my gosh. How horrible. Those things are so heavy, I can't even imagine my horse flipping it over. Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Counselor View Post
    One thing I did read in another thread that bears investigating was whether or not horses on round bales need botulism vaccines. Anyone here do that to their horses? What part of the country are you in?
    yep here in maryland it is highly recommended to vaccinate for botulism you never know whats inside those round bales!! the shot is only $20