The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horse Drama Need Help

A friend of mine had a crazy situation with her barn owner. To give you the background, my friend paid her bills on time, never bounced a check, and is an active owner. The facility she had her horse was a small place ran by an older woman. The woman seemed to be mentally unstable; I personally witnessed her go from super nice to wanting to rip my friend’s head of, all in a matter of an hour. My friend didn’t do anything to her when she flipped on her; actually she was saddling up her horse when the woman went off on her.

My friend’s horse was cheated of hay consistently and when my friend spoke to the woman, she would get on her thought and called her a liar. She watched the horse being fed and her suspicion was correct, the horse was getting half the amount of hay as he was supposed. My friend provided grain for the horse and still paid full board just like everyone else. Her horse lost a lot of weight and so are the other horses in the barn including her own daughter’s horse. Due to these issues the woman that owns the facility and my friend did not get along. The woman would start the fight with my friend just because but then be nice to her on the pay day. My friend gave the woman her check on December 31st for 30 day board with 30 day notice, which is part of the contract she signed.

The woman got angry demand for cash instead of a check (mind you my friend’s check never bounced) and she was grabbing her horse by the main, dragging him outside of the stall, told her husband to open the gate, and was trying to throw the horse on the street. The husband opened the gate and the woman was very serious about kicking her horse out of her property. This all happened at 5:30pm on the NYE. My friend told her she will get her the cash but she must leave the horse alone. She didn’t want to hit the woman as she didn’t want to be arrested for touching her.

My friend managed to walk her horse 2 miles down the road to the nearest facility and her friends helped her move all her stuff out of there. What kind of a legal right does my friend have? My friend has witnesses of this woman verbally and emotionally abusing her, depriving her horse of food, and throwing her horse on the street.

This was supposed to be a full board boarding facility. However my friend had to water her horse, provide feed for her horse, package feed because the woman would not just feed herself, clean water bucket, introduce the horse to the grass, and my friend ended up paying her friend to turn her horse out on the grass because the woman would not do it. When my friend originally moved her horse the woman told her that all this is done by her and her help but it turns out that she lied. Also other people that left her facility complained about the same thing.

The horses were fed very late on the weekends. During the week the horses were fed at 7:00am because she has help that comes out and does the work but on the weekends it was the BO responsibility to feed and do everything in the barn. It appears that she loves to sleep and would not feed horses until 11:00am or 12:00pm. My friend asked the woman about the feeding times and she had 110 excuses why she didn’t feed earlier and promised my friend that this doesn’t happen often. My friend started to come out on the weekends early and witnessed her showing up at the barn between 11:00am and 12:00pm to feed every weekend. That is when my friend decided to move her horse. Unfortunately it took home a little longer than expected to find a place. Due to the weather in this area most backyard horse owners board their horses and it’s not a good time to look.

Is there anything that my friend can do to punish this woman? She doesn’t want anyone else to be subjected to this and hoping there is a way to teach her a lesson. Any suggestions would be great.

If I'm reading this correctly, the horse and all of your friend's stuff have been moved.

I would take a deep breath, and move on with life at a new barn.

There is nothing to be gained by 'teaching her a lesson'.
    Last edited by wsmoak; Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: grammar
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

From my understanding there were horses that coliced on the property as well as my friends. One boarder's horse had to have a colic surgery due to bad feeding program. That boarder moved her horse to another place all thin and lethargic. My friend is concerned that more horses will get hurt in this woman's care.

Agreed. Move on, she should just be happy that she didn't have to suffer through the 30 days with her horse at the stable when she knew BO was crazy, and potentially a threat to her horse. Plus it sounds like she got out of having to pay for this month. I have been through this before, but had to stick out the 30 days - longest month I ever had.

There is no point in teaching a lesson- just move on and enjoy the horse.

Default let go, she's making her own karma

i left a barn where the BO was starving my horse, lying, and acting generally whacky. i likely had a claim for a breach of contract there but who has the time or the energy to pursue that?

tell your friend to enjoy the peace and quiet of a normal barn setting and forget all about this nut job.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

You friend can do nothing to that woman. She's done the best thing: GOTTEN OUT.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I had something like this happen to me at a barn, and they only thing you can do is

RUN FAR FAR AWAY!

The woman threatened to sue me, but luckily she never lawyered up. Lesson learned, when things get ugly at a barn, find somewhere new (as much as it sucks).

It's up to the other owners to protect their horses' health, so there isn't anything you can do.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

The woman tried to throw the horse off the property thereby evicting her. Cancel the check and don't pay cash. She should have called the police when the woman was trying to put the horse off the property. They could have explained to her she can't do that. But after that display, I would not have left my horse there. No telling what she would do during that last 30 days.

Tell your friend not to try getting back at her or getting her in trouble. She should be glad she got her horse out in one piece.

Word of mouth will get around and the bo will find her place sitting empty one day soon.

Name names, for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!!

She can post the name of the facility here, for one thing. Her own experiences, directly reported, are not going to be actionable. Second hand is not as safe, IME.

Also, there is a new website (have seen it, can't find the bookmark) that lets people post their boarding barn experiences / reviews. It was somewhere on COTH, search for it. If I find it, I'll post it.

It's no good to wait for the rumor mill to get this kind of person. If I don't show or hang around the feedstore, I'll never hear about it and nice unsuspecting people and horses will be harmed. If you are really telling the truth about your own direct experiences, then for heaven's sake post it here and anywhere else horsey.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

My friend had her husband with her and while the stuff was being moved out her husband took the check out of the BO's hand. The woman was waiving the check in her husband's face so he just took it and said "she doesn't get paid for services not provided". So my friend has the check for the month of January.

The barn is located in NW Suburbs of IL. I was told I cannot post barn names or people names on the forum. I personally have seen encounters of my friend and the BO, so yes I have been exposed to her as well.

Be Careful how you "warn" people about this facility. I did an online review of the place I got evicted from, and that is when the lady tried to sue me. I don't think she had enough information to actually sue me, but it scared the crap out of me. Liable and slander suits are very real, so just protect yourself, and make sure if you do post something negative about the barn it is factual and it can't be traced back to you or your friend!

Good for the husband having the presence of mind to just grab the check.

Never argue with crazy people...a simple question...why did she ever stay so long?
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Well, I am not posting the facility name and everything I said in my post is true. If she wants to take my friend to court she will lose. There are plenty of people that know of her, know what she has done in the past, and know about the situation my friend was in. Even her past boarders spoke to my friend about their situation with this BO. The woman practically kicked my friend's saddle fitter out of her barn because she didn't want him there. My friend told her about them coming out and when he showed up she did everything possible to cause trouble, had him move his truck a few times, gave him an attitude, and even tried to take her horse off of the crossties. This barn owner is seriously crazy. I think she is losing her mind she is about 70 years old.

If you were in the same state as me I'd swear it was the same woman!!! Very similar story...

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyTB View Post

Is there anything that my friend can do to punish this woman? She doesn’t want anyone else to be subjected to this and hoping there is a way to teach her a lesson. Any suggestions would be great.
    It is not your friend's place to "punish" this person. She just needs to walk away and be happy that she got out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveGirl83102 View Post
    If you were in the same state as me I'd swear it was the same woman!!! Very similar story...
    Maybe it's her sister. I didn't even know that things like that happen in the horse industry. I have seen not so great situations but throwing a horse out and going crazy like this woman did is insane.

I am also in the suburbs of Chicago....can you PM me the name of the place?
    friend of bar.ka

I agree with the earlier poster who said to cancel the check. Your friend was evicted which means she doesn't need to give notice.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever