The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Instead of Wellington....

Is there any really good dressage going on elsewhere in Fla? To watch or ride?
    I'm back in school at 47, I know, I have lost my mind, right? So I don't want to drive as far as Wellington.
    Thanks

I found a calendar on this website...

http://www.dressageinflorida.com/seasoncalendar.html

The Grand Cypress Equestrian Center in Orlando usually has a lot of big dressage shows, but IDK where in Florida you are.

My city has a local dressage association that has unrated shows, but these only show up on the association website. You might want to find out if there's a local dressage series by googling dressage in your city

You can also check the USDF website. I think its under calander (or competition/results) Florida I believe is region 3. They have all of the recognized shows and contact info listed.

Default I'm in So. Ga

No local dressage except my friend and me!!! I am 3 hours from Ocala, 4 from Orlando. That is about as far as I want to travel. Thanks for the calendars.

North Florida Dressage has one in April, I think the 4th and 5th. Besides that, there's Canterbury and then the next closest is Ocala and Clarcona.

Come to see us in Central Florida. Jacksonville, Canterburry, Ocala, Silver Sand, Orelando (Clarcona), there are a bunch of shows around here and there is a really nice group of people. Very laid back, fun bunch. I started to show here last year and I'm having a ball. I was a little bit anxious because I come from eventing and when I showed in Wellington, I found it very upscale and a little bit uptight for my tastes, but I like Central Florida.
    You can still show in good footing under good judges (FEI I judges, S judges ...) without the big $$$$$.

PM me if you want I would be happy to help you

I'm also woring on having clinics on regular basis with some good people at the barn where I board , maybe not the big, big, BNTs, but very qualified people who have taken a bunch of horses and clients to GP.

Don't forget the Florida Horse Park - they usually have a winter dressage show.

Loretta

Quote Originally Posted by mademoiselle View Post
    Come to see us in Central Florida. Jacksonville, Canterburry, Ocala, Silver Sand, Orelando (Clarcona), there are a bunch of shows around here and there is a really nice group of people. Very laid back, fun bunch. I started to show here last year and I'm having a ball. I was a little bit anxious because I come from eventing and when I showed in Wellington, I found it very upscale and a little bit uptight for my tastes, but I like Central Florida.
    You can still show in good footing under good judges (FEI I judges, S judges ...) without the big $$$$$.

PM me if you want I would be happy to help you

I'm also woring on having clinics on regular basis with some good people at the barn where I board , maybe not the big, big, BNTs, but very qualified people who have taken a bunch of horses and clients to GP.
    I don't mean to hijack, but what is the Ocala area like in general?

I have lived in Ocala for more than 15 years not. It's changing, but there are still some nice horsey areas and events to do. The local Dressage GMO, STRIDE, puts on 5 schooling shows (with some fun classes and driven dressage, also), and clinics, etc. The Horsepark has eventing, cowboy mounted shooting, and lots of other things, as well as wonderful trails. Of course there are the big driving events - Live Oak and Nature Coast (out near Williston). We are close to the shows in Canterbury (some folks just go up for the day, no stall needed), and just a bit farther to Jacksonville. It's also within range to do Orlando shows and even Welly world is only about 4 hours. Our local College offers an AA degree in Horse Management (I don't think that's the real name, but you know what I mean). There are some BNT who spend the winter here, but I guess I don't run in the same circles..... There's also some team penning and reining and the Paso crowd..... a big Arabian show.....

Ocala is a small town, and we are coming up in the worlk culturally, but its still a SMALL town. If you want excitement, live in the north end of the county, nearer to Gainesville.

BUT, really, everyone up here is amazingly friendly.

PM me if you want more specific info.

Loretta.

My take on Ocala is that it's mix of everything, race horses, H/J, driving, eventing.

In the winter, you have a lot of H/J and eventing barns coming to Ocala (with HITS and the events at the Horse Park and the nearby Rocking Horse0, it makes sense.

I don't feel that the dressage discipline is drawing a big crowd. While the shows at the Horse Park and the schooling Series like stride are great, it is not enough to motivate people to winter there.
    And while, there are a couple of GP riders and excellent trainers, it is not exactly dressage central.

In my area, you have a lot of little/private barns with dressage riders. We have the Poulins and then a couple of competitive GP riders (all the way from Orlando, to Jacksonville, to Gainesville or to Cocoa Beach.

And yes, Ocala feels like a small quiet town, but it is very horsey, so it's a cool place to be. Good vets, farriers, feed stores, tack shops ...

Default Thanks guys

I'm working on my list now and will cross check with my classes and see what works out.

My take on Ocala is that it's mix of everything, race horses, H/J, driving, eventing.

And yes, Ocala feels like a small quiet town, but it is very horsey, so it's a cool place to be. Good vets, farriers, feed stores, tack shops ...
    Sounds like my kinda place .

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    I have lived in Ocala for more than 15 years not. It's changing, but there are still some nice horsey areas and events to do. The local Dressage GMO, STRIDE, puts on 5 schooling shows (with some fun classes and driven dressage, also), and clinics, etc. The Horsepark has eventing, cowboy mounted shooting, and lots of other things, as well as wonderful trails. Of course there are the big driving events - Live Oak and Nature Coast (out near Williston). We are close to the shows in Canterbury (some folks just go up for the day, no stall needed), and just a bit farther to Jacksonville. It's also within range to do Orlando shows and even Welly world is only about 4 hours. Our local College offers an AA degree in Horse Management (I don't think that's the real name, but you know what I mean). There are some BNT who spend the winter here, but I guess I don't run in the same circles..... There's also some team penning and reining and the Paso crowd..... a big Arabian show.....

Ocala is a small town, and we are coming up in the worlk culturally, but its still a SMALL town. If you want excitement, live in the north end of the county, nearer to Gainesville.

BUT, really, everyone up here is amazingly friendly.

PM me if you want more specific info.

Loretta.
    That sounds really, really nice. And there probably isn't a foot of snow down there right now, what a bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
    That sounds really, really nice. And there probably isn't a foot of snow down there right now, what a bonus!
    No snow, but its cold enough for it. We're in the middle of the hardest freeze in 20 years. 10 straight days of sub-freezing temps, with relatively high humidity. Not my kind of weather...
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

After Wally World the next best place is Clarcona Horsemens park (near Orlando)

Google dressage in Florida and you'll find a bunch.
    Tampa has some shows as does Venice.
    Sandy in Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelurus View Post
    No snow, but its cold enough for it. We're in the middle of the hardest freeze in 20 years. 10 straight days of sub-freezing temps, with relatively high humidity. Not my kind of weather...
    Unfortunately, where I live we have that weather from about mid October to generally well into April . Must..move.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
    Unfortunately, where I live we have that weather from about mid October to generally well into April . Must..move.
    I hear you, I moved from Michigan last year and I have not missed it one bit so far.
    Yesterday it was actually fun to put on some fleece breeches and gloves to go to ride. T shirts all year along gets boring
    At least I don't have to plow the driveway, deal with the frozen buckets and all the fun stuff.

I hear you, I moved from Michigan last year and I have not missed it one bit so far.
    Yesterday it was actually fun to put on some fleece breeches and gloves to go to ride. T shirts all year along gets boring
    At least I don't have to plow the driveway, deal with the frozen buckets and all the fun stuff.
    It is so icy up here right now. I, without thinking, set my garbage can just outside the garage and shut the door. By the time I'd turned back around from pulling the garage door down, my garbage can had slid half way down teh driveway. Guess its a bit icy out, eh? On the bright side, at least I only had to lug that thing halfway down the driveway