The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default mini mule in WI needs new home

I am looking for a home for a mini mule that we rescued. We had gotten a call from a man this summer saying he saw the stable sign for breeding and sales, I train at a WB breeding facility, and that he was going to take a mini mule that he did not like to a very seedy local auction if he was not gone in 2 days. We went to look at him and he was living in a stock trailer being fed rotten potatos and lettuce with water not very often. He was a rack of bones and had never had his feet done in his life, his feet were like slippers. We brought him home as we could not leave him there even though we did not have time for another horse. He was very weak when he came and very scared. On top of being starved he was also abused qutie a bit. He is now a very healthy, though fat, weight and has had his feet done a few times. Unfortunatly there is no one to work with him on his handling. He kinda leads, and will let a person he knows catch him when being offered treats from a crouching position, but still needs a catch rope. My husband has been trying to work with him a bit but does not have the time that he needs, and my day is quite spent with training horses and students. We are looking for an experienced home for him to give him the attention and training that he deserves. He is located in Appleton WI. He is quite sweet, but does best with a friend. He gets upset when he is the only horse in the stable, which is one of the reasons we need to find him a home. All the other horses live outside except when it is very nasty out, and since he is so small we do not want him out in the snow when it is deep and cold. He is coming 2 and needs to be gelded. He is currently not studdy, and can be turned out with our TBs and the WB yearling.

You can either PM me here or email me at vmattson@mattsontraining.net

photos:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...00000414819086

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...00350489988778

Wow, he is precious. I wish I weren't so far away.

Just to put in a plug for mules--people, these critters are smart and owning one is one of the best equine experiences I've ever had. It takes longer to earn their trust (my guy likes his food, but will not be bribed into doing something/liking someone just for a grain pellet) but it is SO worth it. My guy is Mr. Personality, always the first to come greet everyone at the gate, and I wouldn't trade him for the world. Both of my horses think that he is just the bestest. thing. EVAH, too!

He's ADORABLE!

Can you put him in a box and mail him here to me in VA?

Best of luck with your cute little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GaellentQuest View Post
    He kinda leads, and will let a person he knows catch him when being offered treats from a crouching position
    This is hysterical . Only because I have a mini mule molly that I have to do the same thing with! I'm convinced that it is the beginning of mini mule world domination by making humans walk in a crouched duck-like posture .

In all seriousness I think it does help them trust when the human isn't towering over them. My mule girl has come along great strides in two months.

Mules are wonderful creatures! Once you gain their trust the relationship that you can have with them is beyond compare!

I would truly LOVE to have this baby. Racking brain and making calls to figure out how to get him to Texas!

mizzaster- let me know if you figure out how to get him there. He is a sweety. Just needs some daily handling and I think he will make a sweet little guy for someone. Just no time : ( But couldn't leave the little guy where he was.

maunder- you need a little boy to make you crouch to go with your little girl ! lol

Too cute!!!!!

He is absolutely adorable. I see why you couldn't leave him there. I will pass the word to people in your area.

Wow. He is ADORABLE!!!

MIZZASTER: Try Uship.com From what I understand, shippers will send you quotes. Remember to check references to be safe.

mizzaster
    I would truly LOVE to have this baby. Racking brain and making calls to figure out how to get him to Texas!