The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Basket muzzle!

Never had to resort to such for my dogs, as they're not *horribly* sensitive, but another barn worker did have a Doberman who always wore his muzzle.
    Yup I have been thinking that what is gonna have to happen when he is out roaming the property.

Can I get one of those at a pet store? I had one for my greyhound way back when but I bet its long gone by now.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Yup I have been thinking that what is gonna have to happen when he is out roaming the property.

Can I get one of those at a pet store? I had one for my greyhound way back when but I bet its long gone by now.
    I imagine so? I honestly have not looked, but I'd suspect that any well-stocked pet store will have one.

If not, the internet can certainly provide: http://www.dogmuzzle.com/ And perhaps more cheaply than local stores and in more sizes...

Many people accidently create "sensitive stomach" dogs by feeding the same dry food every meal, every day. Then the dog goes out and eats something else and whoops digestive upset, or even worse, pancreatitis. You can actually "train" MOST dogs digestive tracts to be highly robust and resistant to upset by deliberately offering a wide variety of foods. Then when your dog goes out and eats hooves or poop, or someone gives the dog a "holiday meal" as a treat, you don't end up with diarrhea on the rug.
    Obviously you have to start slowly with changes; ultimately you'll end up with a dog who can eat anything without problems. Before you run shrieking saying that the "conventional wisdom" is that it's best to pick one food and feed it for the life of the dog, keep in mind that bit of conventional wisdom is a marketing tactic invented by a dog food company. Most doggy nutritionists strongly recommend rotating amongst different brands of kibble, and/or supplemented kibble diets with canned foods or fresh foods or yes, table scraps (actually they tend to recommend tossing the kibble altogether and going the fresh diet route but consumers like how easy kibble is to feed and prefer easy over proper nutrition, even when feeding their kids and themselves; pre-made people meals sell well).

this particular dog probably has a damaged digestive tract from the worms, the de-wormers, the antibiotics, and the low-quality food (pedigree), so a course of probiotics and a few months of well-tolerated simple diet is probably the first step before venturing out into creating a "robust" canine gut.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Many people accidently create "sensitive stomach" dogs by feeding the same dry food every meal, every day. Then the dog goes out and eats something else and whoops digestive upset, or even worse, pancreatitis. You can actually "train" MOST dogs digestive tracts to be highly robust and resistant to upset by deliberately offering a wide variety of foods. Then when your dog goes out and eats hooves or poop, or someone gives the dog a "holiday meal" as a treat, you don't end up with diarrhea on the rug.
    Obviously you have to start slowly with changes; ultimately you'll end up with a dog who can eat anything without problems. Before you run shrieking saying that the "conventional wisdom" is that it's best to pick one food and feed it for the life of the dog, keep in mind that bit of conventional wisdom is a marketing tactic invented by a dog food company. Most doggy nutritionists strongly recommend rotating amongst different brands of kibble, and/or supplemented kibble diets with canned foods or fresh foods or yes, table scraps (actually they tend to recommend tossing the kibble altogether and going the fresh diet route but consumers like how easy kibble is to feed and prefer easy over proper nutrition, even when feeding their kids and themselves; pre-made people meals sell well).

this particular dog probably has a damaged digestive tract from the worms, the de-wormers, the antibiotics, and the low-quality food (pedigree), so a course of probiotics and a few months of well-tolerated simple diet is probably the first step before venturing out into creating a "robust" canine gut.
    I agree with this....we use a variety here...I keep the Nature's Variety Kibble on hand, cans of Weruva dog food, and we do raw for some meals.

I have one with a very senstivie stomach, and what seems to work best for him is Blue Buffalo. When I tried the super high protein foods on him like EVO, he couldn't tolerate it. The BB seems to be the exact right mix of protein and high quality ingredients to give him lovely stools and its also put good weight and muscle on my very picky eater.

Also agree with variety. Once you get him stabilized with something he tolerates well, start adding in some other decent quality items. Mine now pretty well tolerates leftovers, cheese, raw eggs, and even potato chips and horse poop without any digestive upsets now. He particularly loves the horse's apple treats and those little Welch's fruit snacks for kids.

Everything in moderation.. good advice for people and animals.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Well I went out today and got him Natural Balance Lamb & Brown Rice. The limited formula for allergy dogs. He loves it. He is usually so picky about his food, but really seemed to like it.

I also got him a Nylabone for chewing...no more rawhides for him.

Didn't find a basket muzzle so will have to order one or try on of the mesh muzzles available at the stores.

Thanks again for all the advice. I do have some probotics that I had him on previously and will give him some for a few days.

I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.