The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Barn Dog with Sensitive Stomach..food suggestions??

I know the Mods are limiting the dog threads, but I need some suggestions.

We got a rescue in a few months ago now and can not get rid of his diarehha. He has been tested for EPI which was negative. He was VERY wormy but I have wormed the crap out of him and now do it once a month. He got neutered finally this past tuesday and after fasting for the neuter he had pretty solid poop. That left as soon as he ate his dog food. Currently on Pedigree Large Breed and Pedigree wet. So I talked with the vet and we did another fasting of 24 hours and now he is on chicken and rice. His poop is pretty good and since he has to stay quiet till he heals from his neuter I am only taking him out on a leash for bathroom breaks. So I know he is not eating poop or hoof, two of his favorite things to eat.

So I am thinking he needs a better food...maybe one for sensitive stomach. Any suggestions?

We could not get our Standard Poodle puppy to firm up until we used Taste of the Wild Bison. Not sure why, I think that he is allergic to grain.

California Natural is a fantastic food for sensitive or allergic dogs.

At the very least, get him off all corn, wheat and soy.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Flame suit tightly zipped...

My parvo survivors and my special dog all did best on Sam's Club "Exceed" Chicken & Rice.

They had issues on more expensive foods (I did not try all, that's for sure, but Fromm, for example, and an all organic sweet potato/venison etc.) and all were/are fabulous on plain old Exceed Chook n' rice.

The Special Dog went a long, long time eating real rice and ground turkey, with a tsp of olive oil, a squirt of probiotics, and vitamins... he's the one who 'picked' the Exceed as being suitable.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Have you had him checked for Giardia? I only mention it because our most recent foster had a nasty case of diarhea that we could not get rid of. Upon having his stool checked, he had Giardia and worms (it was lovely). Two rounds of metronidizole later, he was free of it.
    His tummy also seems to be more sensitive, so he eats Eukanuba Sensitive Stomach mixed with a tablespoon of Natural Choice Lamb and Rice wet food.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

O I forgot to say he did do 10 days of metronidizole. I have been considering doing another round.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Since I think you said he's on a mix of kibble and wet food, maybe a good first step would be to stop the wet food. They like the wet food, but in my experience it ends up disagreeing with them at some point.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Second the California Natural. My allergy dog is on the herring and sweet potato and it's the only food he tolerates. Your dog may have a food allergy or sensitivity, and he may need a higher-quality diet, whether that's grain-free or single-protein or whatever.

I would feed this dog a very limited ingredient diet. One carb, one protein and very little else. I think the CN foods have about five ingredients. It makes it relatively easy to determine what ingredient is causing issues.

Once he's been squirt-free for a few months, you can try *slowly* adding in different foods, one new ingredient at a time.

And much as I dislike Science Diet, I did have an older kitten with diarrhea we could not resolve, and I had her on the Science Diet green pea and venison for about a month. She didn't much care for it, but it did clear up her squirts. She is now on Natural Balance green pea and salmon and doing just fine. (Natural Balance is another line of limited ingredient foods, but CN is a little better quality, IMO.)
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Ditto the "Taste of the Wild" High prairie formula (Bison and Venison). Two of my dogs had issues (one itchy one sensitive stomach) and both resolved themselves within 2 weeks of being on this food.

I have two dogs that have super sensitive stomachs (and food allergies). My boy, Wyatt, was so bad that he had chronic ear infections (as well as loose stools). We have them on Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish, and it has been working very well for both of them for the past year and a half or so (no loose stools and no more ear infections). They make several different limited ingredient versions. The only thing is the only place you can get it (in my area, at least) is from Petco. Anyway, I would highly recommend it as a food (he did better on this than he even did on the vet-recommended/ vet stocked limited ingredient diets- possibly because they were vegetarian-based, and I think he has issues with certain grains).

Hopefully you'll find something that works!

My dog couldn't handle the protein levels of puppy food so he went on a lower protein lamb and rice diet and did great. It presented as an upset stomach rather than loose stools.

A friends great dane was having serious loose stool problems as a puppy and discovered he had a food allergy to corn.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

I second the person who suggested that you cut out canned food;
    but wet food is so much healthier and easier to digest. I don't think any dog should eat meals of nothing but dry kibble, ever. Dry kibble is very hard on the digestive tract. Major cause of death of dogs is bloat, and feeding meals of dry kibble strongly predispose dogs to developing bloat. The only time canned/wet foods are likely to cause diarrhea is when the dog is used to eating nothing but dry kibble and is given a sudden wet meal, and then the problem is the dog has gotten used to a boring same-old diet and can't handle diet changes, not that the dog was given canned/wet food.

How you approach the dog with diarrhea depends entirely on why the dog has it. Some dogs have allergies or food intolerances. Some dogs are "garbage guts" and go around scavenging all sorts of icky pseudo-food items. Some dogs have infections or parasites. Some dogs are just stressed. Some dogs have serious gut pathologies.

So it may take some trial-and-error and/or vet investigations to figure out how to manage this particular dog. Cutting grain out of a dog's diet is always a good idea, so starting with one of the grain-free foods just to see what happens would be a fine way to start.

My sensitive tummied dalmatian does great on Nature's Variety Rabbit....no gas, no runs, no upset stomach

Default OH dear!

Hello, I own the most sensitve tummied "Diarrhea dog" on the planet (see thread about him eating manure a few days ago)
    He has always been sensitive. Even as a puppy he would have chronic diarrhea, after about 10 vet visits and $1,400 before the age of 8 months, I switched vets.

At new vets office i told her about the whole ordeal of what i had tried, different diets, metronidazole, deworming, *seems like repeated this whole cyle too many times* (Eventually he just stopped eating all together ...like he new food was what was hurting him )

New Vet looked at me and said "I think he might just have a sensitve stomach" Oh, That would have been nice to know a loooong time ago.

He lives on Eukanuba low-residue food, of course extra expensive and can only get it from the vet. But it is worth the money to not have him feeling like crap and exploding all over my house.

Here is a list of diets that I did try for him...None of them worked...but I wanted them too.

Innova
    California Natural fish and potato one
    Wellness Simple food solutions Duck and rice, Venison and rice **this is a novel protein diet esp for dogs with allergies**
    Regular Wellness
    Pro-Plan Turkey and Barley.
    Fromms
    Premium edge
    Iams
    Nutro sensitve stomach
    Evo red meat
    Natural Balance Lamb formula
    I tried feeding one of those ready made raw diets don't remember the name
    I also cooked for him as well.
    Made him boiled chicken, brown rice, raw green beans, carrots, peas. this worked but seriously, I don't have time for this.
    I also tried adding pumpkin, digestive enymes, you name it!

Yep, I have tried them all. I will say some made him worse than others. But none of them resolved the issue. buying and sampling all these foods was expensive, so I don't cringe anymore when i sign the credit card slip at the vets. I would say there are many diets to try. If you find one that works, rock on...As for me, I never had luck with any of these (some of which were recommended by 1st vet)

Good luck, If it becomes a real problem...like my dog eventually going off food all together, I would ask your vet about the Low-Res, It has changed my dogs life. for treats i give him dehyrated sweet potatos or hill's also makes script biscuits.

Good luck!

I've had mixed success starting pets on the Eukanuba Low Reside, which I attribute to the chicken in it. You've gotten some good suggestions regarding going with the low grain diet. I'd suggest looking for one of the lower fat foods. Also, after all he's been through, a round of a good probiotic may be helpful. I've had good client feedback recently on the Proviable.

*Raises hand* Three + year survivor of a giant dog with a very touchy stomach chiming in, now almost a year without explainable incident. Hang on a second while I franticly search for some wood to knock on.

Ok, anyway- you say he's been wormed- make sure he's gotten a solid three days of panacur in addition to whatever else you've wormed him with. Whip worms are not affected by many dewormers and can cause issues, and they are notoriously difficult to detect in fecals.

Once that's done, move on to trying new foods. Grain free foods are great for many dogs, but some sensitive creatures cannot handle how rich they are. If you do try a GF food, feed WAY less than you think you should- we're talking half or a third of what you have been feeding.

Make your food transitions extremely gradual- over the course of a month or six weeks, not a week or two.

Eliminate treats. Really. Use a couple pieces of kibble as a 'treat' for training and general justbecauseIloveyou snacks. Use Nylabones- the really, really hard kind- as chewies. No rawhides, hooves, pigs ears, bully sticks, etc.

Add probiotics. This can be as simple as adding a Tbs. or two of plain yogurt to every meal, doesn't have to be the expensive stuff.

If you see signs of impending doom- a slightly soft stool, but not runny yet- skip a meal, and for the next one reduce the portion a bit and add in a little plain pumpkin. Being proactive saved us a lot of headaches. The neighbors thought us a little wacked on those cold late nights when we were out there following the dog around with a headlamp, assessing his poo, but it paid off in spades. If you even think it looks a little off, skip a meal and go to code yellow.

We've been on Solid Gold Wolf King for ages now and have had great success with it. It isn't my first choice food but I'm woe to switch as he's doing so well. We were finally able to start adding some fish oil without incident around the summer- again, it was a long process of gradual introduction.

I second the notion of skipping wet food with a very sensitive dog. I know it's a great health benefit, but not so much of one as a regular digestive system is. If you find a dry food that works for you, you can try adding some wet after a while, again, very gradually.

When all systems fail and you are in the throes of an episode, look into slippery elm bark powder. It's not cheap but it's been far more effective than any prescribed drugs have been for us. You heat a bit with water to form a gelatinous paste, and dose however you can- some dogs like the taste, some need to be syringed.

In addition to the nutritional benefits, higher end foods have the charm of higher quality control. A company that produces nothing but pet foods has a much higher incentive to produce those foods carefully and thoughtfully. I'm not convinced that Proctor & Gamble or Mars have as much of an interest in my dogs welfare as an independent pet food company does.

It can be a long process to find what works. Stay positive & good luck!
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Mine does very well on either Blue Buffalo (fish and sweet potato) or California natural (fish and sweet potato).
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Thanks so much!!

I have a lot to think about and try.

Yes, I did three days of panacur. He also has been worked with ivermectian/praziquontial.

So we should of killed them all, but are still keeping up with worming him on a regular bases to make sure.

One problem is that he does like to eat everything as in hoof, poop, and God only knows whats else.

Again thanks for all of the advice. I will start trying to sort through what works for him!

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    One problem is that he does like to eat everything as in hoof, poop, and God only knows whats else.
    Basket muzzle!

Never had to resort to such for my dogs, as they're not *horribly* sensitive, but another barn worker did have a Doberman who always wore his muzzle.

California Natural and pumpkin! I've had very good luck with both of these.