The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Inappropriate cat peeing-end of my rope

I am at the end of my rope and don't know what to do.

I have had cats my entire life and have never been this upset.

In September I found a 5-6 month part ragdoll kitten on my farm. I had her vetted and decided to keep her.

In a few days I noticed she was not properly using her pan. I had her spayed and it seemed to get better for a little while.

I do have a second kitten about the same age.

I have several pans and have tried every littler possible.

It is not that she does USE the pan...but she also uses outside the pan.

She has almost destroyed my dining room.

She has peed on my clothes, sofa and bed, my dog beds and more.

I awoke Christmas morning to her peeing on me.

She gets on something and 'makes bread' with her paws then pees.

She jumped on the bed, climbed on me and was purring and then-good grief....all over me.

I simply can't live like this for possibly 20 years.

I would make her a farm cat but I have so many and territories are well established-also her breed is not really known for survival instincts. (so yes it is farm related!)

AND i have a kitty door into my tack room so it is almost certain she would star peeing on there.

We are overrun with coyote so just can't think of leaving her out. The older cats have survived and are coyote smart-but she would never survive.

I found her on my farm, weak and starving-so now I wonder if someone already went down this road and that is how she arrived here.

She has been checked for infection and there is none.

What in the world do I do? She is very pretty and sweet and an otherwise lovely kitten but this just is not working.

You're going to laugh, but...consider anxiety medication. If she's still spraying even after being spayed, she's probably got anxiety issues. There are also sprayable cat pheremones that work on some cats.

My sister is a crazy cat lady and tried EVERYTHING with her fifth cat, but the cat ruined all of her carpets and she had to replace the flooring with laminate. Finally, the anxiety medication has worked after years of trying other solutions.

If she's peeing primarily on textiles (clothes, bedding, etc.) she may be trying to tell you that she dislikes the texture/location/feel of her litter box. Try a non-hooded SECOND litter box (so that she doesn't have to compete with the other kitten) in a quiet location with a different kind of litter than you've been using, preferably the unscented kind.

I have used multiple pans, lids on, lids off, 3 different locations.

I use unscented litter.

It is not that she won't use the pan-she will.

She just uses the pan, the dining room rug, my pile of laundry, my bed and me as well.

I can look into the anxiety medicine.

Why is this happening on Christmas weekend. *sigh*

She is part ragdoll, as I mention and I believe they can be 'sensitive types.'

This just sucks.

OH I wanted to add-this was not 'spraying' but full blown all out squat and let her rip peeing.

And to mention again, I have had her tested for infection-and she has none.

I would try anxiety meds, but sometimes, sadly there is no easy solution.

For those that have tried meds, how long do they take to work (if they do)?

How do you give them?

I would get her checked for UTI. That's what they do when they're infected. They can't talk and that's their way of telling you something's wrong.

Any blood in her urine? Is she on a dry food diet?

Feliway atomizer worked wonders with my high strung female. Petco, etc carries it and you can probably get it at your vets.

Another of my females has chronic bladder inflamation which sometimes becomes an infection. She lets me know when she is uncomfortable by peeing on - coats, tote bags, suitcases, clothing etc left on the floor. When it is really bad, she'll pee on papers, dog bed, carpet.

Simple Solutions has helped alot - sniff out fresh spots, then spray per directions. It seems to keep the cats off their favorite pee spots and cuts the odor out.

All three of mine are now on a raw diet. Time consuming to prepare, but it has made a huge difference in their overall health and activity level. Google cat nutrition raw diet -

Good luck with this. It sounds like it's most likely anxiety/territorial in nature, and it can be helped.
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

Just asked my sis, who is sitting on the couch across the way from me. She says that in addition to the meds, most of the peeing was happening at night, so she sequesters the cat in a small bathroom at night with both a clean litter box and several puppy pads since the cat doesn't want to use the litter box more than once. The cat seems much happier to be by herself in a safe space at night.

I would put her in a cage except when you can directly supervise her. If she starts to pee where she shouldn't, back into the cage. It sounds to me like she just gets excited and doesn't understand. Kind of like the little kid who laughs until they pee.

I use natural litter and have begun to use Distillers Grain for cat litter. Distillers Grain is the left overs from Ethanol production. It has a sandy feel and a yeasty smell that the cats seem to like. I have also used Wheat Middlings, corn, pine and the newspaper pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    I would get her checked for UTI. That's what they do when they're infected. They can't talk and that's their way of telling you something's wrong.

Any blood in her urine? Is she on a dry food diet?
    She has been checked for UTI-no such 'luck'

In addition to the other great ideas, do not give this kitty full run of the house etc. Confine her to one room. On the 'I awoke Christmas morning to her peeing on me. ' - I would be tempted to have kitty PTS if all physical or other causes were ruled out. That is not normal nor tolerable kitty behavior. I know you said you were reluctant to make her a barn cat, and probably just as well as you would probably find cat pee on a lot of barn related items you'd rather not have so anointed.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

LMH- the anti-anxiety meds were pretty much an instant fix for my guy, who started the behavior at age six for no apparent reason. He's been on them six months now, and our only two slips were once when I missed a dosing, and once when he was accidentally locked in the laundry room. Good luck with your girl- you have my sympathy!

I can put up with a lot, but if I woke up Christmas morning to find a cat peeing on ME, that would be One Dead Cat.

You said she's already been checked for UTI. Renal disease, too?

Thanks for the "Christmas pee on me" sympathy.

Talk about FREAKING out!

OK my plan.

She is off to the vet on Monday to get checked again for UTI.

I am going to ask to start her on meds.

I am going to Petsmart/Petco tomorrow for Feliway.

I will go to Walmart for a new big pan (just in case).

Give her this last chance and hope for the best.

If none of this works, I will have to make some tough choices I guess.

She is a very sweet kitty and so loving-this is just heartbreaking....but dudes, she peed on ME.

I guess it was the ultimate piss on you!

Since the doctors have ruled out infection, could she have some sort of congenital defect in her urinary tract?

http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/inhe...urogenital.php

This is a case with a dog, but sounds similar:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

Good luck!
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

To me, that screams that she's trying to tell you something is wrong.

Besides a UTI, there are a lot of other medicial reasons for peeing outside the box. Definatly have a good heart to heart with the vet.

I'd seriously consider bringing her to a DVM behaviorist. There is one at UGA:
    http://www.vet.uga.edu/var/behavior.php
    They are the vets that would see this behavior most often, and therefore prescibe medicine most often for it, and can help rule out both medicial and behavior issues.

Good luck!

AH! LMH, I almost forgot. My mom "crate trained" her cats at one point. This may be helpful, especially if it is nighttime peeing.

Get her crate and make it wonderfully cushy. When you're ready for bed, "Ok, time for bed." announce, pick her up, put her in her cushy crate WITH a favorite couple of treats.

Go to bed.

Repeat. Eventually, yes, they do get crate trained. My Mom had 6 crates ... 2 dogs and 4 cats. Every night it was the same ... "Ok. Time for bed!" everybody would hop into their crates just waiting for their treat ... once they had it, they'd curl up and go to bed.

IF she is peeing in the crate, then I would say it is a medical problem too.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

My daughter's cat started doing similar things last year at the age of 13. We checked for every medical reason, had a heart to heart with the vet , and ended up putting her to sleep this year after a year of living in a cat cage or confined to a single small room. She was not happy with the only life that we could give her and nothing could be done medically for her.
    It was not a decision we made lightly or easily. She had been my 15 year old daughter's pet for 14 years and it was a heartbreaking thing to do, but I will not allow an animal to destroy my house and I will not keep an animal in a state of confinement that it is unhappy in .
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

I was thinking about something...does it seem odd she does this in front of me?

The times I have 'caught' her she is purring and kneading her paws...it is almost like she relaxes and BLAM.

She is not squatting and preparing like she intends to pee.