The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default husbands...going...to...kill...me.....

Did the ultimate boo boo in the middle of winter. After adding water to the horse trough I turned it off but forgot to unhook the hose. Went out this morning, realized my mistake, said a few choice words and prayed like crazy that it didn't freeze and crack the faucet.
    Nope, that looks fine, but apparently I didn't "fully depress" the handle and the pipe is now frozen.

Seriously...he is going to kill me if I cracked the pipe underground. It's 300' of pipe going from the pumphouse to the faucet, right through our back yard....which is mostly clay.

Darn darn darn...

Any words of advice anyone?
    Katherine
    Proudly owned by 7 horses, 6 dogs, 3 cats and 1 Turkey
    www.piattfarms.com

Are you talking about a hydrant?
    Those are supposed to be set at a depth that won't freeze at the bottom, so you may only have the hydrant pipe frozen.
    If the pipes in the ground freeze, then taking the hose off would not have made any difference.

Try tapping lightly on the pipe with a hammer, to crack the ice, or a hair drier on high blowing on the pipe, if you can get electricity to there. or any such and see what happens.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

If the pipe is buried deep enough for your location the freezing won't go far. In fact, there is a good chance that it is only frozen in the riser for the hydrant that's above ground. I'd get some heat on it if it hasn't been frozen for very long and maybe it'll go back to work. There's also the possibility that it has burst something so be prepared to shut the water supply off, but it's going to have to be fixed before you will have water there again anyway.

Oh I do feel for you!!! Bad enough to make a hassle for watering, but to get killed too ------- I know exactly what you mean and I DO NOT envy you. I hope it work out that it is frost free and just the hose is frozen.

Ow.
    But why should the underground pipe crack? Is it not buried deep enough?
    I can see having an issue with a frost free hydrant where you might have blown out the valve or busted the ell, you'll find that out come springtime or if you warm up the stand pipe.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Go buy a cheap heat tape and wrap the pipe with it. We even wrap the faucet. Then I take vet wrap and wrap the whole thing. Good luck! Oh yes and before we did this we often had a frozen faucet and used a hair dryer to thaw...
    In Celebration of all Morgan horses

I had this happen recently - it took a few days of 50 degree weather - but my hydrant did thaw out. If you search for recent threads on this topic - you can find all the great suggestions I had on how to thaw it.

Since then - I have buried the pipe sticking out of the ground leading to the spigot with manure - seems to be working fine so far..

Jill

I totally did what you did - I was so afraid to tell hubby - pipe froze and then when it unfroze it was dripping constantly - so I kept the hose on with a spigget.

I was so wrong - turns out that the freezing did open it up a bit which was why it was dripping - called the plumber out after about a month of panicing about it and not telling hubby - plumber fixed it in two secs - just tighted a screw and everything was fine.

Then I told hubby - Had I told hubby earlier I would have saved many sleepless nights as he knew right away what was wrong and how to fix it.

Same thing - I thought that the hydrant was frozen at the bottom under the concrete.

Honesty is the best policy...but start out with something like "honey I did something that you may never forgive me for, and I deeply regret that I did it". He may be relieved when he hears what you actually did.

Buy two boxes of Thermacare heat pads (or better, the generic version, they're cheaper) in the lower back pad size. There should be two per box.
    Open all 4 pads, wrap and stick to each side of the hudrant above ground. Wrap a quilt around it and then cover with a plastic garbage bag. A few twists around it with duct tape or vet wrap and leave it alone for the day. (start this in the morning, preferrably on a sunny day or at least not a high wind or rain/snow day.
    Remove the whole shebang at least 8 hours after you started it...it should have thawed to the ground at least. The handle will be unstuck too.
    No need to sit there with an extension cord and a blow dryer for an hour.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Misty Blue... do you own stock in thermacare heat wraps... you seem to use them for EVERYTHING great idea though!
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by fotie View Post
    start out with something like "honey I did something that you may never forgive me for, and I deeply regret that I did it". He may be relieved when he hears what you actually did.

I AM TOTALLY going to do this....and hand him a beer!

prodomus- That is exactly what I think I did!! I'm SO glad others have been where I am!
    Katherine
    Proudly owned by 7 horses, 6 dogs, 3 cats and 1 Turkey
    www.piattfarms.com

My husband, who is a pastor suggested that you pray.

Well, geez, i was going to suggest that she start running and not look back!

I would probably start the conversation with "Honey, I went and looked at another horse today, and then babble on for 10 minutes about this amazing (and imaginative creature)." When you see he is about to blow a gasket, agree with him that it is not the best time to be buying another horse (or taking in another rescue) and then casually mention the water pipe thing.

Somehow the new horse drama might overshadow the freezing of the pipe. But I am single so not sure this advice is worth anything, lol.
    Keep in mind...normal is just a dryer setting.~anonymous

If you have a dairy supply store around, see if you can
    buy something to treat ketosis in cattle with propolene
    glycol. Screw a short hose to the frozen hydrant and
    use a funnel to pour some of this liquid down into the
    hydrant. It is a safe product to put in the waterline
    and it should help thaw the pipe.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Misty Blue... do you own stock in thermacare heat wraps... you seem to use them for EVERYTHING great idea though!
    LOL...I keep finding the oddest uses for those things! I defrosted my frost free pump handle with it one year after I got sick of using the blow torch and alternately burning and freezing my hand trying it.
    I figure they're a steady supply of pretty high heat for 8 hours...that are also self stick *and* don't have cords or batteries.
    I even use them to warm up rehab animals I get in from time to time. They last longer than hot water bottles.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Oh no, really.. this is not worth a death. Do what MB says and then see what you've got. Trust me, if I haven't been killed yet no one is going to get killed anytime soon (can you say, flipped the boom on the drag over the tractor wheel once.. or twice....!!!!)
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I wish that I could tell my husband (men) like I tell my kids - "I don't see any blood .... no one died. If all it takes to fix something is to go around the block, then we really are lucky in life."

A kid taught me that, back in my mid twenties. I was hauling a horse and had the fan belt break on my truck, I didn't hear it happen I had the radio turned up. I was on a narrow country road with no shoulders and I was a couple of miles from a major highway (the old Rte 66) and a gas station. I didn't make it, I cooked the engine. They had to come tow the truck and the trailer in while I hand walked the horse. I had to call my husband. When the young man who towed me in overheard (saw my face) when I made that call, he grabbed the phone from me and said "mister you should see some of what I have to haul in here from some bad wrecks on this highway. You should be lucky that your wife is fine and that it is just a truck engine." I never heard a word more about it from my husband. I silently handed over my paychecks for several weeks and we replaced the engine. The young man, probably about 18-19 yrs old, he had a point. I've never forgotten what is/isn't important in life since then.

Breathe ... and defrost. It should be fine. Hope you put a shut off valve close by!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I don't know what part of OK you're in, but there is no prediction of temps over freezing for the next week! A Benzomatic (gas) torch can be used to warm the metal part of the hydrant - better and quicker than a hair dryer. My guess is that the problem is only in the hydrant - not into the water line itself. Good luck!! Good thing is your hubby can't kill you - too darn cold to dig your grave!! Jackie in NE Freezing Oklahoma!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma