The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about Sheepskin square pads

So I am looking into getting a square pad with sheepskin on the underside. The horse I've been riding has developed some bumps on his back right around the edge of the cantle. They don't hurt him and seem to be getting better. I suspect they are from him getting very very sweaty with the non-slip pad I had been using. The saddle otherwise fits pretty well. I've been riding without the nonslip pad and using pads that wick away moisture, and it seems to be helping.

Anyway, I was interested in getting a square A/P pad with sheepskin on the underside. I love the Mattes pads, but they run about $185. I found that Roma makes one for about $72. I am tempted to go with the Roma, but only if it will hold up. Anyone have any experience with either pad? I have Fleeceworks and Mattes half pads, but they both have a rear trim, so I don't think it would work to put one under the saddle pad.
    Last edited by WishIWereRiding; Jan. 3, 2010 at 07:51 PM.

My Mattes have both (each horse had one) lasted 9 yrs and still look great. And are good in the heat of the summer too.

ETA: I bit the bullet and just bought the new full size ones when I needed two for the horses. I wanted them to have the sheepskin on their side for comfort , not on mine for looks.

But later I found a black sheepskin pad, sheepskin on both sides, on ebay for a good price and it's lasted well also. Not as thick as the Mattes, but nice.

To me a square sheepskin pad would have sheepskin underneath the entire pad. Is that true or is there just sheep skin part of the way down the sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    To me a square sheepskin pad would have sheepskin underneath the entire pad. Is that true or is there just sheep skin part of the way down the sides?
    Mine aren't square but are contoured and sheepskin is over entire surface underneath and very thick.

The black one I got off of ebay has sheepskin all over and on both sides, but not as thick.

I think some of the square do have partial sheepskin though.

The ones I'm looking at just have sheepskin under the saddle area (which honestly is probably the only place it will do any good).

I love this one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...l+Purpose-_-NA
    But it is pricey.

This is the other I'm looking at: http://www.victorycanter.com/Roma-Me...d-p-20550.html

Any experience with the Roma?

I have the Roma pad. I've had it a couple of months, and it only gets used with my jump saddle so I haven't actually washed it yet. It seems to be decent quality - the pad itself is durable, and the sheepskin has stayed nice and fluffy - no shedding or anything like that. I think it's a decent pad for the money, but again I can't say what will happen when I wash it. It has good velcro billet and girth straps. My only complaint is that it doesn't fit my saddle quite right - but mine has very forward flaps, so that's part of the problem. It's just not quite the right shape, but it's plenty large enough and I only use the pad for schooling, so I'm not that worried about it.

ETA: After looking at your link, I realized that it's different than the Roma pad that I have. I have this one: http://www.victorycanter.com/Roma-Sh...d-p-21932.html

Quote Originally Posted by McVillesMom View Post
    I have the Roma pad. I've had it a couple of months, and it only gets used with my jump saddle so I haven't actually washed it yet. It seems to be decent quality - the pad itself is durable, and the sheepskin has stayed nice and fluffy - no shedding or anything like that. I think it's a decent pad for the money, but again I can't say what will happen when I wash it. It has good velcro billet and girth straps. My only complaint is that it doesn't fit my saddle quite right - but mine has very forward flaps, so that's part of the problem. It's just not quite the right shape, but it's plenty large enough and I only use the pad for schooling, so I'm not that worried about it.

ETA: After looking at your link, I realized that it's different than the Roma pad that I have. I have this one: http://www.victorycanter.com/Roma-Sh...d-p-21932.html
    I was looking at that one too, but wasn't sure what the difference was. Why is it $20 cheaper? I would actually be using it with a dressage saddle, but I prefer the AP pads since they aren't as big.

I've been coveting this baby for a few months now. I love the idea of having a washable square pad that can be detached from the sheepskin. In theory, you can keep the pad clean and wash it more regularly while taking proper care of the sheepskin. And you can purchase the pads and panels separately. A friend of mine has the combo pack (2 pads and one set of panels) and she likes it so far.

I have the Roma square pad with sheepskin underneath and it has held up fairly well (the pad does curl a little bit), but it makes me a little nuts when the white part gets dirty and I cannot wash it as frequently as I'd like to wash it. Believe me, I'm not a total neat freak, but a grimy pad makes me a little nuts.
    Last edited by Alibhai's Alibar; Jan. 4, 2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: clarity
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I have the Fleeceworks square pad with removeable panels.love it.............
    mm

I've had Fleeceworks, Mattes, and Dreamhorse.

I thought the Fleeceworks was clever but they're all washable and I didn't like the velcro deal after a little while of messing with it.

All of them have fleece only on the "contoured" saddle area. And all but the Dreamhorse come with different quality of fleece and/or actual sheepskin.

My favorite is now the Dreamhorse. They're pretty pricey, but well worth the money for how durable they are.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=