The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pad for sensitive mare?

OK, first off the mare is perfectly sound, saddle fits well, but she is just a very sensitive type. She's not showing any discomfort, but as we move up the levels I would like to add a pad that will help absorb shock a bit.

I have a ThinLine but she doesn't seem to care for it. She has high withers, and even with the wither cutout I made I think it still puts pressure on them.

I also have a Mattes that I use regularly, but I want something a bit more shock-absorbing.

She LOVES CAIR, but I cannot find an air pad that I think would work for her because of the high withers. I wish I could buy just the CAIR inserts and make them into a half pad.

The saddle panels are foam, which she does prefer to wool, but the foam is fairly old hard and probably should be replaced. Unfortunately that is just not in the budget.

Any suggestions on what is good but not too bulky? As in, no inch-thick neoprene or anything.

well...it is a little thick when you put it on. But body heat makes it mold to the shape of the back and saddle. I love love love this pad. It makes my ride so much better even for me and my back. It also makes the saddle feel snug on the horse. I have a mare with a sensitive back. She doesn't like a curry on her back at all but she never seems to mind me sitting. Equilizer pad

If she is comfortable, happy, and sound, then why mess with it? Especially when about to move up, I am disinclined to change things like that. If you end up having issues you won't know if it is the new level or the new equipment. I'd say move up, see how she is, then decide if she needs something extra.

They are hard to find, but I recommend a Bay Jacobsen 'preventive', not the 'curative' model.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    OK, first off the mare is perfectly sound, saddle fits well, but she is just a very sensitive type. She's not showing any discomfort, but as we move up the levels I would like to add a pad that will help absorb shock a bit.

I have a ThinLine but she doesn't seem to care for it. She has high withers, and even with the wither cutout I made I think it still puts pressure on them.

I also have a Mattes that I use regularly, but I want something a bit more shock-absorbing.

She LOVES CAIR, but I cannot find an air pad that I think would work for her because of the high withers. I wish I could buy just the CAIR inserts and make them into a half pad.

The saddle panels are foam, which she does prefer to wool, but the foam is fairly old hard and probably should be replaced. Unfortunately that is just not in the budget.

Any suggestions on what is good but not too bulky? As in, no inch-thick neoprene or anything.

yeap buy a saddle that fits her and one that can be reflocked its not what she perfers so much as what you ca afford had you gone to a saddle fitter and then they would show you saddle that ar ein your price range and style you like then fitter you and the horse

so many people think taht anew pad or numnah will help no mate it wont it will mask it until the horse then has a bad back and if not careful then its a permanant damage to the back regions

if you got a horse then you dont do cheap on there equipement

you find a saddle fitter or tack shopwith a saddle fitting service and ask them to come and fit a saddle for you often they have decent 2ndhand ones
    then its a matter of having that saddle reflocked at least once a year

so conclusion is find the money and get the saddle sorted if its hard then its not supple then its uncomfy so either change it get rid of it or buy another one

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    yeap buy a saddle that fits her and one that can be reflocked its not what she perfers so much as what you ca afford had you gone to a saddle fitter and then they would show you saddle that ar ein your price range and style you like then fitter you and the horse

so many people think taht anew pad or numnah will help no mate it wont it will mask it until the horse then has a bad back and if not careful then its a permanant damage to the back regions

if you got a horse then you dont do cheap on there equipement

you find a saddle fitter or tack shopwith a saddle fitting service and ask them to come and fit a saddle for you often they have decent 2ndhand ones
    then its a matter of having that saddle reflocked at least once a year

so conclusion is find the money and get the saddle sorted if its hard then its not supple then its uncomfy so either change it get rid of it or buy another one
    I don't think you actually read my post. The saddle does fit her, quite well, and it was fitted by the person who designed it and who happens to be an expert in saddle fit. She very much dislikes wool, so reflocking anything is not an option. The one type of panel she does love, CAIR, is not available in a saddle that fits us for dressage.

Trust me, this is not a cheap saddle. Quite the contrary. The only thing I could do to it to make it better is to try to have it fitted with FLAIR, and that is very very expensive.

She's not sore, she's not displaying any signs of the saddle not fitting, and she is working quite well. I am just trying to protect her back, as she is sensitive and will be 19 this year.

Dont know if you have the room under your saddle, but I use a sheepskin half pad with a Thinline half pad on top of the sheepskin half pad. It eliminates the wither pressure problem of the Thinline pad but still gives me the shock absorption. And it would be free, which is very budget friendly. I do use the saddle with just the sheepskin + Thinline and nothing additional because I don't want too much bulk under the saddle.

Another possibility would be to buy one of Thinline's sheepskin pads with built-in Thinline along the sides, but not up the spine. They've got a whole variety of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Dont know if you have the room under your saddle, but I use a sheepskin half pad with a Thinline half pad on top of the sheepskin half pad. It eliminates the wither pressure problem of the Thinline pad but still gives me the shock absorption. And it would be free, which is very budget friendly. I do use the saddle with just the sheepskin + Thinline and nothing additional because I don't want too much bulk under the saddle.

Another possibility would be to buy one of Thinline's sheepskin pads with built-in Thinline along the sides, but not up the spine. They've got a whole variety of them.
    Yep..I have this one and really like it.
    http://www.thinlineinc.com/store/car...t_detail&p=140

If she is so sensitive, I would be loathed to mess with it! Really, if she's happy and comfortable, why change?

You could look into Ecogold pads and see if they have anything to offer. I don't know much about them, but they seem nice. I also think it is hard to beat sheepskin directly on the skin. If you use a pad between her and the Mattes, you can try and switch it or just use the half pad.

I did stack my ThinLine on top of my Mattes today, she she seemed fine with it. It looks horrible though, since my ThinLine is so huge! Of course my good ride could also have been due to a different bit that I think she really likes.

I'm not looking to make too much of a change, more thinking about something thin that I could use in conjunction with my Mattes pad.

I have used it without a pad under it, but it's been a while. I use a square pad to keep it clean, but I could try it again with just the Mattes. Can't put the thin pad over it though because my Mattes has the rolls around the back.

I worry about her. She's getting older, and I've come so far with her. I'm always looking to make her just that little bit more comfortable.

I use a ProLite pad, and like it. I've also heard good things about the Ogilvy pads.