The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Difference in Safeguard liquid and Panacur liquid?

I recently purchased the 10% fenbendazole suspension from my vet... however I see you can buy Safeguard online for much less money!

THey are made by the same company... are they the exact same product? I see that the Safeguard is not approved for horses but the Panacur is. Is this "political" or is there really a difference?

I have a ordered a second bottle of the Panacur from my vet but may cancel if they are the same... and SAVE money!

Donna

The biggest difference is Panacur liquid is Rx and Safeguard
    liquid is not. Safeguard is more generally used for cattle
    and sheep/goats, but is fine for horses.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Belcher View Post
    I see that the Safeguard is not approved for horses but the Panacur is.
    Where does it say that? Intervet sell Safe-Guard paste and Safe-Guard pellets for horses--no idea why they don't sell the liquid specifically for horses, but I didn't think there was a specific "not approved for horses" on it. Dozens upon dozens of COTHers have PowerPac dosed their horses with the 10% liquid. You are fine to buy the Safe-Guard liquid, promise.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Jan. 3, 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Yep, Safeguard has their own Power Dose which is horse-approved 5-day "power pack".

I don't see the liquid *marketed* to horses though, probably because horse people, when it comes to worming, seem to be clueless on how to dose it. IME, goat and cattle people are much more likely, I suppose since often they have LOTS of animals and have to know dosing in order to get it all done as economically as possible.

Yes, 10% fenbendazole liquid is exactly the same dosing as Panacur for horses and Safeguard for horses 4.6mL/100lb/day/5 days, don't be stingy

Question WHY double dose for FIVE days?? How long does the dewormer last in the system?

That is what I thought... but wanted to double check.

Now does anyone know WHY it is double dosed for five days? I have been told three days is sufficient. I think it has something to do with the encysted small stronglyes life cycle but I really need to look it up? If anyone knows the specifics, feel free to share your wisdom... I am off to look up the mechanism of action (particulary the half life/clearance rate) of the fenbedazole and the life cycle of a these parasites!

There is some literature out there that says 3 days is "sufficient", but that day 4 gets a few more and day 5 is sort of insurance. So, since it's quite a safe chemical, there's really no need to risk leaving some and causing a resistance issue.