The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin Off of People who Train w/o Having a Clue

I ran across this gem on facebook today. Wow. I mean, really?

The horse sounds like he should have been put down when they found him (though the pictures don't look anything like the description), and he's still lame 3 years later. In the "extended version" video, she also claims that he'll "run away" if she doesn't beg him to put the halter on, but on her website she just slings the rope around his neck and drags him off It seems like she's just keeping him and parading him around for the money. He has "severely rotated coffin bones" and still limps, but she rides him and you can donate money for his care.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Benny-...2404793?v=wall

I just couldn't even believe it. Her website (link is on the page) is just incredible. I thought PP was the biggest ninny around, but I guess I have to take that back now...

As someone who does ABA (applied behavior analysis, autism therapy) for a living, I howled when I saw that outloud. Ludicrous! I do hope in the next 10 years we don't see a swell in 'autistic horses' because they don't come right away in the pasture, avoid the bit, what have you. The fact that he has 400 fans as well...how astounding. Of course he's featured on 'holistichorse.com'

I know. It's really insulting that she's making such a mockery out of the disease. The woman we get hay from has a severely autistic brother, and it really bothers me that this woman would say something like "Oh, the school teacher down the road says he's autistic because he doesn't like eye contact". I mean, what a load. What an absolute load.

She talks about how he doesn't like touch, rolls, paws, etc because he has some kind of "orphan syndrome", and it's like, No, he's just a spoiled brat because she's a nutter.

Maybe it wouldn't be as bad if she didn't talk to him like he was a big dog. Or treat him like he was a big dog.

He looks normal to me. It sucks that he was abused and I'm sure even in regular training he wouldn't be 100%, but I don't think this is helping him. I don't see any behaviors that stand out as terribly unusual, he's just disrespectful because he knows he can be.

Selling a DVD series for $50 kills me though.

I highly encourage everyone to go to her youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsPhJ5sO5uA and rate it poor.

ETA: She deleted that vid but here is a link to the other one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXgfW3Tvx58 Rate it as you see it. I rated it 'poor' cause there isn't an option for "extremely poor"
    Last edited by Grataan; Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:20 AM.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

This lady is a nut!!

I watched the video, funny how about three minutes in, the "autistic" horse seemed pretty interested in meeting the other horse in sight (confined in the left hand side of the arena). "Trainer" chased him out of that corner several times.

About five minutes in, she's "asking" him if she can halter him...What a crock...This looks to be nothing more than a poorly socialized, spoiled brat, somewhat stiff or lame horse. I've seen a fair amount of them in 30+ years around horses, and if this trainer really cared about him, she'd find an easygoing pasture buddy for him, turn him out, LEAVE HIM ALONE, and let him learn to be a horse.

Also regarding him not wanting to be with other horses...
    I have a few here myself that when turned out, they see me, and whinny "for me"...It's either A) Around feeding time, B) The weather is not great, and they want to be in the barn, C) maybe they're greeting me, or D) Gee, They are just vocalizing in my general direction...

Who said "There's a sucker born every minute?" ...That PT Barnum was a genius!!!!

He seems like a rescue that she is making money off just because he has no manners..huh so can I make $50 dvd's off my thoroughbred because he has blow up randomly issues?

This is so ridiculous. If he had been socialized and was taught some manners he wouldn't be "autistic". He would just be a normal horse. Plus almost all animals have what would be considered autistic qualities, but that doesn't mean they're autistic. She's just making money off a rude, bratty horse.

I can't believe this! That lady is crazy!

"He has a lot of neurotic behavior. I mean, he'll lay down and roll a lot when I'm around." Yeah that sounds like an autistic horse to me...

Yikes, this lady is a wackadoodle! That horse is laughing away at her...
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I didn't know horses could be autistic.

wow, next thing you know she'll want special accomodations for him.

Munchausens by Proxy???

Default They also...

Delete comments they don't like...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Default Ouch

Anyone take a look a the majical* bitless bridle?

Ouch - that thing is supposed to be 'painless'?

Thin twine and knots low over the cartilage on the nose and on sides of the jaw (pressure points).

That is not in anyway kinder than a snaffle unless the horse has some pretty bad mouth issues.

If that horse is autistic because he rolls, whinnies and doesn't like strange people touching him - my herd of weirdos has the whole DSM IV TR pretty much covered.

Ooh and I have one with stringhalt too... plus he opens gates, unties knots, has broken more than one waterer and is proficient in standing on his hind legs and hopping forward. (all totally normal horsie behaviour imho)

Think I can get donations?

poor horse.

why are people so incredibly ridiculous? how on earth do people who see this lady every day NOT see through such [bull]?
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jan. 4, 2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: language
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

WOW! What a load of BS!

Horse looks like a spoiled brat that can do whatever he wants when he wants.

When she was haltering him, it didn't look like he was going run off at any second.

Haha, she would die if she came to my barn and met some of the horses that live here. She would be scared out of her mind.

Heh... She's in Estacada.

We always make jokes about the nutz in 'Cader.

They also...
    Delete comments they don't like...
    And videos about which we comment lol. But never fear! Here are others you can rate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXgfW3Tvx58
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZctYSO06OM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVXxWTmiVug

Rate the vids as you see fit and if you comment please be polite (no cyber stalking) I rated them poor cause there was no option for 'extremely poor'
    I didn't know horses could be autistic
    They can't. She's wrong. Apparently the horse was diagnosed by a HUMAN psychologist lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Honda View Post
    Heh... She's in Estacada.

We always make jokes about the nutz in 'Cader.
    LOL.

Jane, is that anywhere near...Boring? I remember showing at an equestrian center in Boring when I was showing on the youth circuit before my parents moved the family from WA to "back east"

I'll never forget that town lol.

"He has a lot of neurotic behavior. I mean, he'll lay down and roll a lot when I'm around."
    That's not neurotic, that just means he's comfortable in her presence-enough to lay down and put himself in a vulnerable position

ETA, Orphan syndrome my butt! Mrs P was weaned and did not see another horse for TWENTY FIVE YEARS and she doesn't act like that (she talks to herself, and she's REALLY SUPER HAPPY to be around other horses, but she doesn't try to dominate her human handlers) You can't tell me he's like that because he 'wasn't turned out with other horses'
    Last edited by Grataan; Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:28 AM.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.