The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default John Lyons round pen - anyone have one?

If so, I would love to hear how it is working out for you. What do you like about it? Anything you don't like? Does it seem safe for working a youngster (one that has not had a ton of handling.)

TIA.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

I have one and have been very happy with it. It's seven years old now and holding up really well. I do spray paint the corners and latches annually as recommended.

It is easy to set up and move around. It is very safe for the horses. I have never had any kind of mishap while working any of my horses from youngsters on up.

The only thing I think I would do different is order a few extra panels to make it slightly larger. The big Holsteiner mare seems a little cramped compared to my smaller horses.

Thanks! Do you have a problem with it rusting? Do you just use regular Rustoleum type spray paint that you can get at Home Depot? (I spray painted a couple gates at our old place when we put it on the market and it was a PITA but they looked super nice when I was done.)

Right now, I only have room for a 56' round pen but plan on ordering the full 60' pen in case we find a better spot to put it later. I would think you could order a few extra panels now to increase the size of yours. I was told every panel deleted would change the diameter by 4'. So, I would suppose if you got 2 additional panels, you could turn the standard 60' pen into a 68' pen (or 3 panels would make it 72'.)

We looked at them and honestly just couldn't bring ourselves to buy something so expensive when round pens are easy to make and solid. I like that you can move them around.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

You can get a better price on them at Expos etc.

My partner farm had one.

I had (HAD) a cheaper version.

FFWD a decade. Theirs is as good as new (yes, with just the silver 'gate' paint) and mine is crumbling into dust from rust--And I did repaint, but they're rusting from the inside out.

I think you pay the extra for the galvanizing. Which is SO worth it, if you're looking for long term.

You certainly can get other galvanized, square-corner pens, probably for slightly cheaper, but not much. It's the features you pay the extra for.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

There is a dealer not far from me who will deliver AND set it up for $100. So, that is very appealing. I was hoping to get a round pen that does not rust within a year and that will stay looking fairly nice.

I thought about having one built when we get the rest of our fence done. But, I am not entirely sure I am going to be happy with the place I have decided to put it. So, having one I can move is really going to work best.

Anyway, I appreciate the input and would love to hear anyone else's opinions/experiences.

Mine looks as good now as it did when new. The pipe is aluminized steel which helps prevent rust. There is no rusting on any of the pipe in my round pen. The latch system between the panels is made of steel which will rust. This is why they recommend painting those pieces annually.

The latch system is really quite ingenious and easy. It is part of the panel itself so no parts to lose or worry about if you move the panels around. I use plain old rustoleum spray paint in silver for touch-ups. Takes about 30-45 minutes a year to give the latches a quick coat of paint.

I think this round pen is one of those things that is worth the extra money. It's a great design. I feel my horses are very safe in it which is well worth the peace of mind plus I can break it down and use it for emergency corrals if I need them.

I'm sounding like a salesperson now but I'm not. It's one of those things that really is what they say it is. I'm glad I bought it. Don't think I'll ever need another one.

I prefer my Priefert panels.
    Hunter green powder coat and chain connectors.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    I prefer my Priefert panels.
    Hunter green powder coat and chain connectors.
    We have those, some of the first ones they made some 25 years ago or more.
    They were silver then, already with the chain connectors and they still look like new.
    What I like about them is that, if a horse were to get really silly in there and hit panels, they have some give to them without bending and so the horse won't get injured as easily, or the panels damaged.
    The one we have is multi purpose, it has enough bars that cattle can't get out, if you want to put a calf in there to teach a horse to follow.

I have not seen the John Lyons one, so can't say what they look like.

You could go see both brands, compare material and price and then decide.

I think portable is much, much better, because no matter where you put it now, in a few years you may want to move it or do something else with the panels.

We've got one at my barn. We never move it, so I have no opinions about ease of setup. It's sturdy and stable enough that I've got no qualms about climbing up the panels to sit on the top rail. Some of the rails are a bit bent from horses crashing into them, but all the welds have held. The only thing I don't like is the actual gate. The hinge mechanism has gradually slid down the post it's mounted on, with the result that you have to lift the gate to release the latch. Other than that one flaw, it's been an entirely satisfactory product.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I'm 99.9% sure that Priefert is the MFG of the JL pens.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)