The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

So Sad Alter Guest

Thumbs down Sad Night - Horses are gone...

After just a month of keeping my horses at home, I've had to send them back to boarding and I'm sad as I sit here in the apartment above an empty barn.

When I got home from running errands after depositing them at the new boarding farm, I automatically looked into the barn to say hi to my youngster...and realized he wasn't there. I know they'll be OK at the new barn, and I'll have them home for good in two months, but I'm just dying at the thought of not being able to feed night hay. Not getting up in the morning to check on them. Just generally not being in control.

Making matters even worse is that the landlord of my temporary living quarters is making my life a living h$ll. This is someone I've considered a friend, who offered me a place to live for a few months. They begged me to bring my horses here, knowing that both my horses are not good with change. I thought this was an offer that was at least good for a few months...until I moved to my new permanent digs in Feb.

But just a month into it, I got a "Sorry, it just isn't working out. You need to get your horses out of my barn in the next 5 days." I wasn't happy about this, but I did it and I didn't complain to the landlord. But today, when I was cleaning out the barn, after depositing said horses, I ran into landlord who expected me to be dripping with happiness that I had to move my horses (at great expense, inconvenience, and mostly RISK TO THEIR HEALTH). I mean Where's the Fruitbat? You made an offer that you regretted and I'm supposed to thank you and be gleeful that I"m now out thousands of dollars on board? AND I don't get to see my ponies regularly?

So, I'm sad that I lost a friend. And I'm sad to not see my kids. This whole foray into having the horses at home originally scared me and worried me. What if I bought a farm and didn't like it? But now that they're not here, I really miss their faces and warm snuffles (especially with the dire windchills we have right now!).

Sorry for the long vent and sad tale...I know people here will understand. And I will also say that I know that this too shall pass. Things WILL get better, but for right now, I'm just so sad. On the bright side, I'm feeling more and more like the new farm is a really good thing and I'm looking forward to it even more!

I'm sorry about having to move your horses. I don't really understand your story but maybe its for the best? If the landlords don't want them there then it would just get more and more awkward. It sounds like setting a goal of finding your own place is just what you need. Its a great goal and now you need a plan to get there!

Hang in there. Feb is not that far away.
    Sorry you lost a "friend" over this.

I know that with my guys in my backyard, there is a sense of relief knowing they are there but with this horrible weather (mud and now freezing cold), I am kinda jealous. I realize your situation is much more complicated but look at it as a test run so that when you get your guys to the place you want in a few months, you may have a few kinks taken care of and how you might change a few things.

Keep your chin up. Missing the freezing weather and mud season is not the worst case situation.
    Keep in mind...normal is just a dryer setting.~anonymous

Jingles for you ~ Feb will come soon and you and the horses will be really Home together ! Glad they were easily accomodated at a boarding barn ~ not always easy to find a place on 5 days notice.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

((HUGS))
    I Know how you feel...

I loaned my big guy out to my coach to use as a schoolie 3+ years ago.
    He has ulcers and changing his enviroment is stressful.
    Awesome care ...he got all his meds and was loved and extremely well taken care of. Plus, my little guy boards there, so I saw the big guy almost daily.
    But... it was not the same as having him here at home.

Then in September the big guy (now 16) was goofing about in turnout and injured his suspensory. We rested him there for a month, but when we realised that this was going to be a long-term recovery, I brought him home in October.
    He's so happy to be home and settled back in with his little herd.
    And I am so thankful to be caring for him myself and see him multiple times a day...

So...February will be here before you know it...
    And if she was a true friend, things will work themsleves out....

i'm so sorry i very recently (thanksgiving) moved my horses down behind my house and i am already planning how to tell the BO that i won't be moving them back in the spring as we'd planned. i had no idea how much i would LOVE having them at home and being in complete control! i don't think i could ever go back to boarding! so i totally feel your pain. luckily the 2 mos will go fast. time flies
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

When one door closes another one opens.

They are just boarded. It's nothing that can't be changed. Things will fall into place and you can once more have them close by!

**hugs**
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by So Sad Alter View Post
    After just a month of keeping my horses at home, I've had to send them back to boarding and I'm sad as I sit here in the apartment above an empty barn.

When I got home from running errands after depositing them at the new boarding farm, I automatically looked into the barn to say hi to my youngster...and realized he wasn't there. I know they'll be OK at the new barn, and I'll have them home for good in two months, but I'm just dying at the thought of not being able to feed night hay. Not getting up in the morning to check on them. Just generally not being in control.

Making matters even worse is that the landlord of my temporary living quarters is making my life a living h$ll. This is someone I've considered a friend, who offered me a place to live for a few months. They begged me to bring my horses here, knowing that both my horses are not good with change. I thought this was an offer that was at least good for a few months...until I moved to my new permanent digs in Feb.

But just a month into it, I got a "Sorry, it just isn't working out. You need to get your horses out of my barn in the next 5 days." I wasn't happy about this, but I did it and I didn't complain to the landlord. But today, when I was cleaning out the barn, after depositing said horses, I ran into landlord who expected me to be dripping with happiness that I had to move my horses (at great expense, inconvenience, and mostly RISK TO THEIR HEALTH). I mean Where's the Fruitbat? You made an offer that you regretted and I'm supposed to thank you and be gleeful that I"m now out thousands of dollars on board? AND I don't get to see my ponies regularly?

So, I'm sad that I lost a friend. And I'm sad to not see my kids. This whole foray into having the horses at home originally scared me and worried me. What if I bought a farm and didn't like it? But now that they're not here, I really miss their faces and warm snuffles (especially with the dire windchills we have right now!).

Sorry for the long vent and sad tale...I know people here will understand. And I will also say that I know that this too shall pass. Things WILL get better, but for right now, I'm just so sad. On the bright side, I'm feeling more and more like the new farm is a really good thing and I'm looking forward to it even more!
    temporary-------- look matey new year new life new page in book
    as one door closes another opens --- chin up and then prepare for a better life and future dont dwell on what was or wasnt

What was her reasons for asking you to remove your horses? Does she have horses also? Did they not get along? Was she doing all the work? Just curious...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

don't share any details you don't want spread thin and overanalyzed.

We took in a renter in a cabin on our property. hard luck story, son of a business partner of my DHs... I was never so glad to see a body leave than when he left, just days before I was going to tell him to get gone. Leaving sacks of trash to reek in the bed of his spare truck rather than haul them to the dump, ruining the walls in the laundry room, since he never told us the window a/c condensation was screwed up, so now we get to rip out ruined, molded sheet rock. Left us a stash of beer cans under his porch. But I'm sure his side of the story is how persnickety and picky we were