The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Jack Russell Terriers

Does anyone have them? May be getting one today. The breeder (friend of mine) sold him to a family in Alaska last year, they didn't like him so sent him back. We think they crated him all day while at work, let him out evenings and crated all night. He got very cranky with them and their children.

Anyway, it's just my hubby and I, we have 10 acres surrounded by open farm ground, so he'll have plenty to do, hunt rodents, etc. Just curious about your's and your stories. Thanks.

JRTs as a breed and terriers in general are not known for a sweet disposition, although many are sweet.
    It is not surprising to hear of some that are not exactly friendly and get cranky if not handled right.

Since you are forewarned that he is a handful, how about getting into some obedience classes, so you can work hands on with a trainer on any issues you may have, so you will have a great dog for many years?

Maybe they did keep him too confined, but confining sensibly and training well is what most everyone getting a new dog should do, to avoid the dog learning to be independent and not listen to the owners.

If you intend to let the dog run loose, I will say that a loose, free dog is free ... to get in trouble and killed,, rather sooner than later, not a good idea with any dog.

I hope all works well for the dog and your family.

JRT are sure fun dogs and very, very cute.
    Any pictures?

Jackies are high energy dogs. I am not surprised this dog did not do well being crated all the time.

They can be very loving and affectionate.

And they need some sort of occupation...like vermin hunting. Or they start seeing some that aren't even there.

I love my JRT. She was a handful the first 6-8 years I owned her but I lived in a neighborhood and there were too many temptations to smell and chase. Then we moved to a farm and she is a different dog. She's very happy on the farm. She only runs loose when we are home and outside with her. Fortunately she's finally learned boundaries. Only took 12 years

She's a very sweet dog. Very affectionate and the ultimate lap dog. She's a smooth coated tall JRT. She's 12 now and god forbid something happen to her, I'd get another JRT in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Sparky Boy; Jan. 2, 2010 at 09:00 PM.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I have one that is super sweet. She has to sleep with us under the covers.
    Once they bond with their human they are very protective and can be difficult with other dogs. Mine just hates the mailman, but she is super affectionate and loving with us. She has to be "with" me at all times, including under my desk while I work and sitting on the bath mat while I'm bathing. Mine is not a great horse dog, she wants to chase them and consequently has to stay in the house and surrounding yard - not at the barn.

We've boarded at many places with Jacks. When trained at all and given some boundaries they are pretty neat dogs. When left to their own they WILL entertain themselves, not always in an "approved" way.

Best dogs were bonded to someone and would rather spend their time with their person.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

I have had great JRTs - the best have been and still are the rough coated short legged versions - no, not high energy, no, not aggressive, positively human loving dog loving canine loverbugs. Agree, though, that a crated Jack would not be a happy Jack.

I attach a picture of Bridey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brideyballsmall.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	27610  
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    If you intend to let the dog run loose, I will say that a loose, free dog is free ... to get in trouble and killed,, rather sooner than later, not a good idea with any dog.
    Yep. Your typical JRT is very curious and into everything so getting into trouble is a talent for most of them. I would check into some obediance training to see if you can install the "come when you call" button. Since my JRT is accident prone and also trying to eat something that will land him in the doggy emergency room, I would be leary about letting my JRT loose on acreage. Plus his "come when called" button doesn't work when there is something more interesting going on

They are lots of fun and really cute....but for the first 8 years of my dog's life I felt like I had a 3 yr old child. I was always running around behind him telling him to stop that and don't eat that Good luck with your new guy Post pics if you get him.

We have had one for 7 years. When we got Button, we knew exactly what we were getting into as friends had three.
    We are on about 3 acres out in the country, with huge fields behind us. Button will roam on occasion, but all we have to do is yell "french fries!" and she is a white blur on her way home. Go figure. (Yes, she gets FF on occasion). She is one of 6 dogs and is no problem except doesn't really want to play.
    She is very territorial and does sleep under the covers with us. She is one of three dogs on the bed. The cat has her number.
    We have had no problems with her getting into trouble except getting on the wrong end of a skunk a couple years ago. We did have a perimeter collar for all dogs but they pretty much stay home so we haven't used them in months.
    I love Jacks. When Button passes on, I plan to get another one. She is a smooth coat Puddin', by the way.

I love them. I just had to put my awesome 13 yr old JRT down.( he had cancer and it was his time. ) He was the best dog I ever EVER had. He was my most loyal best friend. He was always by my side. I would kill to find his breeder and get another JRT related to him....
    I say go for it. As long as you know wgat to expect from the breed, and can train them up well, you will have a best bud for life!

Agree with everyone on the obedience thing! Any dog is better with a bit of training on them, and any terrier needs that instilled in them before they should be let loose (and you should still be keeping tabs on them!).

My JRT is a tall, rough coated one. His breeder was into them for 15 years and he is from her last litter. She bred for not only conformation, but intelligence and trainability. He is smart with lots of energy, but it can be channeled into doing fun stuff or work stuff. He's a heck of a hunter when he gets to go to the farm and he patrols the backyard before he can do his business LOL He's great with the house cats and barn cats who stand up to him (will chase the ones that run, but not hurt), and he learned his lesson about horses after a bad stomping incident last year

He loves to snuggle, but is crated as necessary and takes it quite well, but then he gets enough exercise that he's not always bouncing off the walls.

And he got his Canine Good Citizen certificate in November, too

It sounds like you have a good place to keep one! I can't see one doing well at all being crated all day, no wonder they sent him back!

I have one. I never had a JRT before but had read a lot about them, so I knew what I was getting into. Not going to lie, that first month was rough. I remember taking him home the first day and thinking what did I get myself into

He was adorable as all get out but a complete pain in the butt. For one thing he cried all the time (except when sleeping) for no apparent reason. I would guess it's like having a newborn, takes a while to understand what the heck they want . He was only crated at night. I remember having this great idea that I'd keep him crated next to my bed while I slept. That lasted all of 5 minutes

I introduced him to the crate like one is supposed to and he was ok with it - he just did not want the day to be over when you did. OMG, that dog would howl and cry the most awful noise, he sounded like you were gutting him alive.

So he had to sleep in the guest room on the other side of the house (with my other dog). Thankfully after a week that dissipated, and he would sleep through the night without making a peep.

His first year with us was a fun one. I don't think I have ever used the phrase, "don't eat that" as many times as I did when I got my JRT. Despite having a good diet & exercise he wanted to eat any and everything he could find on the ground.

Other than just an adjustment period (for both of us) he has been a stellar dog. He has only chewed up two things in his whole life, and those were just during the times when I was weaning him to be alone in the house, uncrated. He had very few accidents during housebreaking.

I've had several dogs since I was a kid but he takes the cake...he is just an awesome little guy. Definitely a velcro dog...he wants to be with me all of the time (not just during dinner or walk times like my rottie). He's so smart, you can teach him just about anything. He's a great pal whether you just want to curl up on the couch and watch a movie, or go for a long walk outside. He is very high energy, but as long as you give the dog attention like you should, he's totally manageable.

His biggest quirk is that he likes to lick everything. Sniff sniff sniff, LICK. Just one lick, and then he walks away. Sometimes a guest will be sitting on the couch...he will walk over, sniff/lick his knee, then walk away. He also comes to work with me every day. If the UPS man drops 4 boxes in my office, he will walk over and sniff/lick each one. Just once though.

If you're not familiar with obedience training def look into some classes. Those commands will come in handy. I worked on 'recall' the most with mine ever since he was a wee one, and it comes in handy. I can let him off leash anywhere and I do not worry that he will run away, he always comes when I call.

Really, after being owned by him, I can't imagine my life without a JRT anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
    His first year with us was a fun one. I don't think I have ever used the phrase, "don't eat that" as many times as I did when I got my JRT. Despite having a good diet & exercise he wanted to eat any and everything he could find on the ground.
    I have been saying that for the last 12 years

You guys have me laughing! I know those dogs!

My first jack was my best buddy, always by my side. He died in my arms, just where he wanted to be - forever. He got in trouble for digging once, then he'd look at me like why didn't you tell me??? and then he never did it again - in 'that' flower bed.

We got a giveaway jack from the big city, she drove them nuts trying to kill a squirrel in their postage stamp back yard. I thought that she would be gamey the minute she tasted the freedom and smells of country life. Nope biggest couch potato I've ever seen.

In my experience when they live the country life and have more freedom to be a terrier they seem to relax (some, not all of them). Mine never roamed, they knew their boundaries.

Just the tenacity of their little bodies and the whole quirkiness of them is so endearing to me. But they need special people who understand them. Their loyalty and those brown eyes that can stare you down, you'll be a changed human if this terrier picks you for his person.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post

I attach a picture of Bridey
    Holy Terrier Cuteness!!!!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

You don't have any cats, right?

Any livestock on the open farm ground around you?

JRTs need a job... also be ready to walk him... a lot. A tired JRT is a good thing. They love hunting, but some love it too much and will get themselves in trouble. It's best if you keep an eye on them when they are out on the farm since they will go down holes and under buildings... My trainer once had to move 10 tons of hay and pull up the floor boards in a barn to get hers out from under the barn... obedience, agility, and fly ball are all good JRT activities.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogfarm View Post
    but all we have to do is yell "french fries!" and she is a white blur on her way home. Go figure. (Yes, she gets FF on occasion).

That reminds me of my sister's first jacky

At a horse show he spotted a fry where he could not get to it. He screamed and hollered like he was being deep fried himself!

I highly recommend Catherine Romaine Doran's book " Jack Russell Terriers, Courageous Companions".

If you read the foreward and still want a Jack Russell then you are chosing the right dog for you! Catherine is delightfully accurate!

I've had a Jack Russell in my family since 1986 and just LOVE the breed. That said, you MUST love the breed or they are going to drive you nuts.

If you take a peek at my profile you will see my current JRT, Thistle, as a pup.