The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SE Virginia Has Fourth Wettest Year on Record in 2009

I just saw this on our local news channel. We are in 4th place for the wettest year recorded and only 3/10's of an inch behind 1977 with 64.66 inches. Our normal rainfall is 45.74...so we are almost 20 inches over normal.

http://blogs.wavy.com/2010/01/02/200...ars-on-record/

Geez...no wonder the mud is so freaking bad! We have water just standing on the top of the ground...now frozen...which is some relief from what we had before...but still a mess. I'm a bit worried about horses slipping on the sheets of ice in their pastures now. UGH..

Quite a few of the fields of crops in our area still have not been harvested. I don't know if they are a write off at this point or not but I can't imagine what a loss this is for the farmers.

We are trying to deal with the mud the best we can. We have more horses than normal up at the main barn to give them a dry place to stand/rest, and some of my paddocks I've had to shut down for now until they dry out. We have unbelievable ruts in the areas where we drive the tractor and gator to move feed and hay...to the point that we are worried about getting stuck with our equipment.

As soft as it is, there's not much we can do about it now. UGH... I need about 20 tandem loads of gravel but no way to get it out there where the mud is. Not sure how many of you saw my post on the mess we had trying to get our hay delivered or not but it was bad...

How is your local area doing this year? Is it wetter than normal all over?

I did see your post about the hay delivery fiasco. You really had my sympathy for that.

We've had the last 2 summers wet enough that I never needed to use one pasture. I'd rotate between the large front and large back pasture and when I'd move the horses I'd mow. Each pasture got mowed once/week and regular lawn got mowed twice/wk all summer. Because my horse gets gas colic from too much grass, the horses get put into separate sacrifice paddocks at night. I'd give them about 1 flake of hay and clean up most of the hay in the morning.

I don't know the rainfall amount but we usually get ~100"+ of snow in the winter. So far this year I believe we are behind in snowfall as we had NONE in November and not much in December either. I think we are supposed to make up for it by tomorrow. So far the ground is frozen with minimal snow over parts and blown bare spots throughout.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

My dear DDB, we are drowning together!

My hay man told me he has never seen a fall as wet as this one has been.

Of course now we are high of 34 today w/incredible wind chills and everything is frozen. Some of my horses have fields that get torn up easily and those horses are stalled 12 hours a day now to get a break from the frozen footing. The big pastures have large expanses that are smooth and frozen so no worries there....

but as soon as it thaws out again (which apparently *MAY* not be unitl NEXT WEEKEND, the forecast is quite unpleasant) it will be mud up past our ankles.. yesterday I made the mistake of thinking I would throw a bit more hay in my Dansko clogs
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Gail...it is bitter cold here too and forecast to be wind chills near zero tonight. I'll bring in all that I can and make sure the other ponies have big old piles of hay.

msj...I remember what living in Watertown was like...I don't envy you folks up in the snow belt at all. Did the lakes freeze over already? Is that why the snowfall is less?

We just got back from hiking/camping in the Georgia mountains...I'm so glad we did our hikes last week. It's supposed to be even colder there!

I can believe it. My elder DD lives in VA and every time I talked to her she was depressed because of the rain, rain, rain.

Our mud is driving me nuts, so I can't even imagine you guys up there. The only upside I can see is that our water tables must be increasing after all these drought years.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Elsewhere in virginia is below normal for rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post

msj...I remember what living in Watertown was like...I don't envy you folks up in the snow belt at all. Did the lakes freeze over already? Is that why the snowfall is less?

I give you credit for surviving Watertown even in the summer! I don't think the snow melts there until July!

I honestly don't know why we've been so lucky until today really. We still don't have a decent snow cover, and what has fallen has blown over to my neighbors about 3 miles away.

Current temp is 10 degrees F with a windchill of -4 and tomorrow it's supposed to be worse. Thank god for the indoor though. I opened the horses stalls about mid morning for an hr and the most they did was walk outside and turn around and come right back in. So I shut them back in with the top dutch door cracked a few inches for 'fresh' air and turned them out in the indoor a few times.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    Elsewhere in virginia is below normal for rain.
    Do you want some? I'll try and send some your way.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I give you credit for surviving Watertown even in the summer! I don't think the snow melts there until July!
    Well, it wasn't like I had a choice! It was not an easy place to keep horses in winter. I don't miss the winters much at all but do miss the lovely summers and the nice people that live up there. I REALLY miss fresh cheese curd.

DDS, you aren't alone!!!! North & central Georgia had a tremendous amount of rain in 2009. Atlanta area had 2nd most amount of rain on record.

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_sto...39268&catid=40

I live about 30 miles east of Atlanta and we are so muddy at my farm. It had done nothing but rain since late August. It seems every time it rains lately, we get 2" or more at my house. And it's raining every 3-4 days!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Do you want some? I'll try and send some your way.
    How veryy kind of you! But i fear that, on top of the remnants of 29" of snow, with the arctic temperatures and wind here, many people would not thank us for the ice skating rink.