The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oil for dog with itchy face?

Hi, we have a two year old Blenheim Cavalier/Cocker Spaniel/terrier who has an itchy face and eye area. She takes her paws and rubs at it, it isn't vet worthy yet as no fur loss. If this were one of my horses I'd be supplementing with ground flax seed and upping the oil in the diet.

Can anyone advise me what type of oil to add to a dog's diet to help with this? I'm not on any dog lists We feed her Beneful kibble by Purina which she picks through for her favorite flavors.

Thanks! I know this is dog specific but I would like to train her as a carriage dog - she's color coordinated with the Haflingers.

In my opinion, Beneful is an awful dog food and could be the problem. Find a quality dog food at a feed store or pet food store that has NO corn for sure, and preferably no wheat. Corn is a huge cause of allergies in dogs and is in all the store brand dog foods.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1873&cat=all

www.dogfoodanalysis.com has a lot of good info on dog foods. There are a lot of poor quality ingredients in Beneful and you can spend a little more money and get a much better dog food.

I'd ditch the Beneful as well and go for a grain-free food (at the very least corn-free). Salmon or other cold-water fish oils are the ones to add.

Good luck.

Beneful is a crap dog food.

Try something grain free.

Also change his bowls to a different material. If they (water and food)are plastic, go for a stainless steel. Plastic bowls often cause problems.

OK, I was grocery shopping and got her Harmony Farms Natural Chicken and Rice dry food. Checked the dog food site you recommended and I've bounced her from a "1 Star" food to a "3 star" food (out of 5). So, I'll keep tweeking! She liked it. She also gets our meat scraps after dinner.

As an aside, the cats came up and started eating the new dog food too. Guess I'd better check into the Friskies Indoor Delights they've been eating!

And, her bowls are the same Williams Sonoma dinnerware we use, I don't trust plastic!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lisae View Post
    Hi, we have a two year old Blenheim Cavalier/Cocker Spaniel/terrier who has an itchy face and eye area. She takes her paws and rubs at it, it isn't vet worthy yet as no fur loss. If this were one of my horses I'd be supplementing with ground flax seed and upping the oil in the diet.

Can anyone advise me what type of oil to add to a dog's diet to help with this? I'm not on any dog lists We feed her Beneful kibble by Purina which she picks through for her favorite flavors.

Thanks! I know this is dog specific but I would like to train her as a carriage dog - she's color coordinated with the Haflingers.
    frankly, try to get her on a different food. Beneful is loaded with coloring, some dogs (and people) react to that.

I had a Dalmatian who would have a belly full of red splotches and pimples, not vet worthy but uncomfortable, on Kibbles and chunks equally loaded with color.
    She did well on a lamb and rice formula, even 'Old Roy' brand.

As to oil you can add...

you can add fishoil from capsules, Flaxs/linseed oil from capsuls or olive oil from the grocery store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Olive oil will add fat, but isn't going to be quite as helpful for skin issues as fish. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...&S=0&C=0&A=648

Ditch the Beneful.
    Get a good quality fish oil.
    My personal favorite is Nordic Natural.
    We're all on it here...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

If you do up the quality of her food, just remember that in general, the higher quality foods mean that you feed less of them. Mix the new food in gradually, but be aware that you may need to cut the total amount of food that she gets back so that she won't get chubby.
    I feed my dogs fish oil capsules. They do sell liquid fish oil to put in your dogs food at a lot of pet supply stores. Mine have a hairy face, and I found that mixing the liquid into their food made them smell fishy, so I had to switch to capsules.

I did try the gradual mixing of the food but she pushed the Beneful out of the bowl and ate the new.

yup, ditch that beneful. i added a can of oily mackeral to all of my pets' food when we had some dry skin issues a few winters ago. i found these big cans of chunk mackeral for 88 cents each and bought a couple of cases. luckily i had a glass beaker blender and blended the mackeral with some water to a nice oily, liquidy, smelly feast and poured it over california natural, and they slurped it up, dogs and cats alike.
    smelled disgusting, but all itchy hot spots cleared up within a month.
    oh, and beware of doggie kisses after this meal, trust me!

Quote Originally Posted by lisae View Post
    I did try the gradual mixing of the food but she pushed the Beneful out of the bowl and ate the new.

HAHHAHAHHA

good doggy
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    Olive oil will add fat, but isn't going to be quite as helpful for skin issues as fish. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...&S=0&C=0&A=648

Well, I know I did not specify, but I was thinking in terms of rotating the supps a bit, not one capsule a day, def. not one of each a day, especially for a smallish dog.

Olive oil has other properties that are beneficial in the diet.

The again I got that tip from a lady who fed raw, ground up wings and thighs, souped raw veggies and a variety of additives, like yoghurt, fishoil capsuls yeast and olive oil.

Some added cider vinegar and/or a bit of garlic, but garlic is a bit controversial, with onions being bad...
    GNU Terry Prachett

Purina should be ashamed of the price they stick on Beneful....put some pretty name on a bag of crap and then sell it at premium prices. One of the reasons Purina gets none of my business.

Good for switching foods....you can also look at NUPRO, it's a great dog supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Purina should be ashamed of the price they stick on Beneful....put some pretty name on a bag of crap and then sell it at premium prices. One of the reasons Purina gets none of my business.

Good for switching foods....you can also look at NUPRO, it's a great dog supplement.

Well, I am sure it's better than most and most dogs do ok on it.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Well, I am sure it's better than most and most dogs do ok on it.
    Not really, Beneful is one of the lowest rating foods on any chart....it's nothing but fillers.....pretty crappy, so I wouldn't say that it is better than most.

Ground yellow corn, chicken-by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, Minerals (tricalcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), sugar, sorbitol, water, animal digest, phosphoric acid, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E, Vitamin A, niacin, Vitamin B-12, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D-3], added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, glyceryl monostearate, garlic oil.